• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Anxious after eating dark chocolate

whiteHot

Bluelighter
Hi all,

I've observed something really strange lately: I've picked up a few bars of premium dark chocolate. It contains 80% cocoa and the only listed ingredients are cocoa butter, fat reduced cocoa powder and cane suger. I usually eat about 30g in one setting and most of time it is fine, but sometimes I get anxious maybe 30 minutes to an hour after consumption. I'm 100% sure that it is caused by the chocolate, but I don't understand why. I drink coffee (about two espressi a day), so I'm not very sensitive to caffeine. I did some reading and it seems that the stimulating part of dark chocolate is actually theobromine. However, I see no mention of anxiety anywhere. Does anyone have an idea what's going on? The effect is strong enough that I will never order that chocolate again.

Thanks!

I have a similar reaction to chocolate, especially high cocoa %. It gives me a stomach ache, headache and some anxiety.

For this reason, I avoid it.

It's probably our unique body chemistry. Most of my family loves dark chocolate, but I hate it. Always makes me feel like crap.

It should be noted that there are other things found in chocolate such as myosmine and even nicotine.

Last edited:
Chocoamine and phenylalanine are the main culprits here.

Fun fact, real chocolate is about the strongest drug you can buy in the food section of any store.