View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Antipsychotic meds and Acid

tayalogan

Greenlighter
SWIM started taking Saphris (an antipsychotic medication for schizophrenia and manic bipolar) exactly one week ago. SWIM wants to take acid today. Will the Saphirs totally cancel out the effects of the acid? Should SWIM stop the Saphris for a week and then take the acid?

I would imagine most antipsychotics to severely mute the psychedelic experience. More importantly though I would be taking into consideration what acid can do to someone who is predisposed to schizophrenia and manic bipolar. The conditions sound like a worse combo than the two drugs together. I could picture people taking antipsychotics to go to sleep if they couldn't fall asleep after the acid.

i'm able to trip on high doses of psychedelic and i'm on antipsychotics, i've been on them for years though maybe that's why.

ive experienced a trip on mushrooms and weed even though i was on olanzapine lol

antipsychotics often act trought ht2a antagonism, but some people (even in this very thread) say that they can trip while on them. maybe it's possible that tolerance mitigates their trip blocking properties? i don't really know, the only way to know is to try or maybe stop taking them for few days before the trip (not recommended)

Wouldn't tripping be bad if you have a medical condition that requires anti psychotics to treat?

Yes it is a bad and risky idea for anyone who is mentally unstable, but sometimes anti-psychotics are prescribed off-label for such things as insomnia. Which may be a questionable decision as well, depending on the situation. But in that case tripping would not be contraindicated and it would be unfortunate that psychedelics don't really work then.

A lot of people say psychedelics and schizophrenia are contraindicated but there isn't much to suggest it's true. You won't find any research linking the two, you will find some stuff like childhood schizophrenia being treated by LSD/psilocybin in the 60s/70s, and lots of research disconnects 5HT2A (main psychedelic receptor) from schizophrenia, this research occurred because they thought it was involved and wanted to prove it, but got just the opposite.

I've got a family history of schizophrenia and was psychotic for a few years, but mushrooms are fine for me. It's cannabis that makes me crazy.

Saphris will really strongly block 5HT2A receptors and also cause them to downregulate since they're being used constantly (same thing as tolerance).

If you wanted an antipsychotic onboard and you still wanted to trip, you'd have to look at Solian, Seroquel (both which are really weak at serotonin receptors) and the second generation antipsychotics like flupenthixol which are also quite weak at serotonin receptors.

Stopping cold turkey will cause some bizarre, nightmarish, feverish dreams and probably some general distress during the day.

^some psychedelics ARE bad for people with schizophrenia (debatable but all the evidence i've seen suggests so), namely dissociatives and cannabis (like you said).

i'm in the same boat as bees_knees i can trip on 5ht2a based psychedelics with no problems but weed makes me paranoid as fuck and pcp dxm and k result in arrests and prison/psych ward visits.

Generally people take antipsychotics such as seroquel to abort a trip so I would imagine it would dull the trip significantly

And I just assumed Seroquel might be trippable on because on that binding chart on Wikipedia for atypical antipsychotics it has a very low binding to serotonin receptors compared to the rest of them. Solian has no clinically significant affinity for 5HT2A at all.

EDIT: Oh and I think I'd look at it this way - if you're mentally unstable, it's not a good idea to trip, just like if you're having a bad day tripping is bad. But there's nothing to suggest 5HT2A psychs will set off a stable mind into psychosis.