• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Antihistamines for Opiate itch. Sleepiness?

Opi_Kid_Rock

Bluelighter
I thought over-the-counter antihistamines are commonly used as sleep aids with strong drag effects the morning after. Could I take antihistamines to counteract the Opiate itch without feeling too sleepy to function during the day?

you sorta answered your own question, but maybe you can if you countered the sleepiness with caffeine perhaps? a good ol' cup of steamy coffee?? what opiate are you taking? codeine to the best of my knowledge is the itchiest of them all, i haven't had an opiate itch in years though, i remember when i first got onto morphine and i could literally scratch myself raw

Second-generation antihistamines like Cetirizine (Zyrtec), Fexofenadine (Allegra) and Loratadine (Claritin) are said to cause less drowsiness than older ones like Benadryl.

Oxy IR and Dilauded insufflated especially itchy. My over the counter antihistamines seem limited at the drugstore unless I’m not looking hard enough. Benedryl yeah makes me worried I’ll fall asleep get too drowsy.

The second-generation antihistamines mentioned will be effective on itching . . . . if It is not all over but in one area like the bridge of the nose or back of the neck for example that there is an intense itch, topical diphenhydramine may help, as may the ammonia-based itch eraser product sold for insect bites.