• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

antihistamines, amphetamines, and dopamine antagonism

laCster

Bluelighter
do hydroxyzine and promethazine in particular antagonize dopamine receptors to an extent that causes major side effects such as weight gain, sexual disfunction, ect...? i read hydroxyzine increase prolactin levels which then enlarges breast size in males, and i dont want fucking moobs.

wiki states that hydroxyzine has a D2 antagonistic binding profile of Ki~300um. is this enough affinity to really cause a difference, or malevolently affect my weight, sex drive, ect..? i love these drugs but i have gained 20 lbs in 2 weeks ( maybe becayse i stopped injecting coke on a daily basis ) and i feel like my breasts look more breastly lol. i am 6ft 170lbs and i think i am obese but that is a differnt story.

would taking hydroxyzine or promethazine in combination with meth or d-amp inhibit the euphoria and stimulation caused by the amphetamines? im thinking of switching to flexeril instead, or hopefully orphenadrine , but would flexeril's or hydroyzine/promethazine's 5HT antagonism and dopamine antagonism play a major role in contradicting the effects of my amphetamines? does anyone know if flexeril antagonizes dopamine receptors aswell?

am i just making a mountain out of a mole-hill? i am seriously about to flush my whole bottle of hydroxyzine down the toilet.

-laC

300 micromolar is pretty low affinity, compared to "selective drugs" in the single micromolar or nanomolar concenrations.

would taking hydroxyzine or promethazine in combination with meth or d-amp inhibit the euphoria and stimulation caused by the amphetamines?

somehow i doubt this, people manage to use these drugs as opioid synergists.

am i just making a mountain out of a mole-hill?

probably.

i would play it by ear. hydroxyzine is a pretty... gentle antihistamine. compared to clorpromazine or haloperidol it is a walk in the park with mionimal antidopaminergic effects,

I've never been able to find Ki-values for promethazine, but I believe it has anticholinergic activity regardless of dose (dry mouth, tachycardia and effective against EPS), so affinity for mAch and H1 is probably similar. Hydroxyzine should be H1 selective until a certain dose, taking more than that will only increase anticholinergic sides, so start low and go higher until you hit the sweet spot. I don't think promethazine/hydroxyzine has any D2-antagonist activity, except when taking retarded dosis.

Dosing high will not help you sleep better, remember that.

300 micromolar is pretty low affinity, compared to "selective drugs" in the single micromolar or nanomolar concenrations.

somehow i doubt this, people manage to use these drugs as opioid synergists.

probably.

i would play it by ear. hydroxyzine is a pretty... gentle antihistamine. compared to clorpromazine or haloperidol it is a walk in the park with mionimal antidopaminergic effects,

thank you, i really really appreciate your response!! as you can see my anxiety gets the best of me sometimes; but with that being said i am just going to keep taking hydroxyzine/promethazine. when you put it in perspective, vistaril really doesnt seem that harmful to something like zyprexa! these drugs are really a god send for me, they help with nausea from the shitty subxone (naloxone) my doctor has me on now plus the synergism with bupre is nice. they really work for sleep too!!

also, your point about them not affecting dopamine-induced euphoria with opioids and so they really shouldnt "hurt" the effects of amps makes clear sense aswell.

thank you again sekio.

I am justice starting hydroxyzine. I think it makes me sleepy. It was prescribed for allergies and anxiety. I was told by np to use instead of Xanax. I don't see any similarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
So taking meth and hydroxyzine together is considered safe right l? Because I get realy bad anxiety from taking low doses of meth???? I just want to make sure its safe

It should be fine, but if meth makes you anxious you'll probably find something else to worry about. A better option is reducing your dose or not using it entirely; try coffee.

Actually my body got so used to the meth that it was actually helping me feel better I was happy super focused and less anxious than is ever been however I was having a little parinioa about things but not to the point where I was telling people stuff that wasn't true I was just kinda being more causious. However I don't want to do meth like that I don't want my body to get used to a drug like that so I decided to bring myself down but instead of doing cold turkey( which I believe would give me major problems considering before I took meth I'd have bad problems with stress anxiety and depression) so I've tapered my self down as I started smoking less frequent. But the aniexity I'm getting is horrible and I'm shaking pretty bad on the inside as well as out. So I thought the hydroxyzine my phylcitrist gave me would help with these issues just wanted to make sure it was safe!! Thanks!!!