• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Anticholinergic syndrome shortly following initiation of Benztropine

AromaticNitrogen

Bluelighter
A good friend of mine in another part of the state was taken to the emergency room this morning. His fiance and brother reported progressively deteriorating speech organization and ultimately, around 3 am, intense hallucinations. He is around 5'9 220 lbs.

He began on Abilify 5 mg QHS and Bupropion SR 150 mg BID for treatment resistant anxiety and depression. He has taken Alprazolam 1 mg BID prn for years now. About two weeks ago his Abilify was increased to 10 mg QHS. Since initiation of the Abilify, he had reported extrapyramidal symptoms of increasing intensity, most notably some similar to restless leg syndrome. For this, Benztropine 2 mg QHS was initiated four days prior to this episode. He had also abruptly discontinued Abilify at the same time to change to another neuroleptic which he ended up not being able to afford and thus did not initiate.

Upon arrival at the ER this morning he exhibited xerostomia, confusion, slurred speech, and disorganized sentences with leaps from one topic to another in mid-sentence. From what I was able to gather from his fiance, BP was 170/95 and resting pulse ~100 bpm. He was actively hallucinating, describing his ER room as being full of people including the mailman and numerous professional football players. Toxicology came back negative according to the hospital. He was given Haloperidol 5 mg PO shortly after arrival and the dose repeated around 90 minutes later. His fiance had brought his medications to the hospital for the staff to review. His condition was attributed to discontinuation of Abilify resulting in refractory psychosis. No psychiatric consult occurred. He has no history of psychotic episodes. He was sent home around 8 am due to not being a suicide risk and told to call his psychiatrist on Monday.

At around 9 am I received a phone call from his brother, and subsequently his fiance, and was given all of this information. A few questions later I learned that he had been talking to unseen people, having trouble urinating, and "trying to drink the TV remote." He had also been "spitting his dip" into a cup despite not having a dip in his mouth. I recognized these as tell-tale signs of anticholinergic toxicity, asked about any new meds he had begun, and found out about the Benztropine 2 mg. A count of the bottle, filled on 1/14, revealed 21 of 30 tablets remaining as of 9am 1/18. A total of 18 mg had been consumed between the night of 1/14 and 1/17. This appeared to confirm the suspicion of anticholinergic toxicity. His fiance called the hospital about this, and they were dismissive of it and suggested he be taken to a psychiatric hospital for further evaluation. Being stable, she opted against this and is keeping tabs on his vitals. He is drinking plenty of water and taking Alprazolam 1 mg Q6-8 H. It seems as though the severity of intoxication is finally beginning to lessen. Pupils are moderately reactive to light and he is able to urinate a bit better.

My question is with regards to the presentation of the syndrome and the dose involved. From what I have available to me at home, there does not appear to be much literature available with respect to the toxicity of Benztropine. A few abstracts that I have been able to find have described patients safely managed on daily doses of up to 6 or 8 mg.

My friend who is currently experiencing the throws of delerium is not a drug user, It is our belief that he mistakenly took 2 tablets instead of 1 nightly either by mistaking the directions or thinking that more would help alleviate his symptoms. We won't know until the effects have subsided.

Benztropine has a relatively long half life, but at the same time it seems difficult to imagine that four doses, spaced around 20-24 hours apart, would result in a clinical toxidrome. The people on this forum are pretty fucking sharp, from what I have seen. Does anyone know the acute toxic threshold of this drug, because it's not well established from what I can tell? And if not, could a congenital hypersensitivity to anticholinergics have resulted in his symptoms?

He's going to be alright, but the fact that this occurred has really pushed my "why the fuck did it happen" button. Any input or discussion is appreciated.

The delerium inducing effects of anticholinergic are pretty personally variable, certain people definitely have a lower threshhold than others. And I think you do build a sort of tolerance to them, people who have been taking benztropine their whole life and have the dose raised slowly will probably respond better than a drug naive individual going ham and taking too much.

Benztropine taken on a regular basis is probably one of the worst case scenarios you can find, it has even longer half life than atropine and scopolamine. 18mg over 3 days is more than enough to turn someone stark raving mad.

As for toxicity, if he's in a managed setting there's not much to worry about. The treatment for anticholinergic poisoning is waiting it out.

I can assure you the 10mg of haldol will not make him feel any better nor will it hasten his recovery. It might keep him insensible and immobile but it's pretty... rough.

That is a good deal of Benztropine, especially if your friend had not had experience with major anticholinergics before. (Though, if he was treatment resistant, he might have had some experience with tricyclics or other drugs with anticholinergic side effects. Hard to say.) Usually for anti-psychotic side effects, dystonias, they start max at 2 mg at night up to 2 BID. It comes in 0.5, 1, and 2 mg, so even there it is on the higher end. A double dose of a long acting agent would certainly be unpleasant. Hot, dry, tachycardic, mad. Not too out of line.

You probably also already know this, but try to keep him cool besides fluid intake. Sometimes it can be easy to get too much volume due to the urinary retention, and get pretty high blood pressures, especially when people appear parched. I remember accidentally taking a warm shower after exercising, with a good deal of scopolamine in my system from a motion-sickness patch the night before, and having to return to a cool bath with ice later because of the inability to sweat. (Watch out for ice, too, I guess. Easy to overdo it in either regard.)

Benztropine also has some funny action at DAT, and combined with abrupt discontinuation of Abilify, there could be amplified effects. I'm not sure of the timeline, but maybe even bupropion's actions added into the mix. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16923164 (Just points out the example of two different effects from the drugs.) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8095555
Hopefully he rests up well and everything goes okay. Not a pleasant experience.

Thanks for the input y'all. I had considered his lack of exposure to this class of drugs to be a large part of the reaction, but given the scarce material to reference wasn't sure of the magnitude. As y'all have alluded, 2 mg I believe, was a reckless starting dose. It appears my friend was showing early symptoms the day after his first dose, ie agitation, excessive thirst, and blurry vision.

After consulting with some more seasoned colleagues who estimated a 4-6 day recovery time and relaying that information, my friend was again taken to a hospital and admitted. Still delirious but beginning to experience short windows of pseudo-lucidity. Baby steps, I suppose.

Thanks for the responses.

As y'all have alluded, 2 mg I believe, was a reckless starting dose. It appears my friend was showing early symptoms the day after his first dose, ie agitation, excessive thirst, and blurry vision.

After consulting with some more seasoned colleagues who estimated a 4-6 day recovery time and relaying that information, my friend was again taken to a hospital and admitted. Still delirious but beginning to experience short windows of pseudo-lucidity. Baby steps, I suppose.

Thanks for the responses.

I wouldn't say starting someone on 2 mg a day is reckless. It may be the case that your friend is unusually sensitive to cholinergic blockade. Most patients do not experience an anticholinergic syndrome after administration of 2 mg benztropine. Either way, it should be possible to resolve the syndrome with physostigmine.