antibiotics and E

SpecilKNY

Bluelighter
Hey guys ,
Well iv'e been sick for a while (nemonia) and I am still on antibiotics (sorry about the spelling ..)
I was wondering if taking E while on medicine is o.k ? i know i have to keep drinking (both cause the medicine and E) but is there anything else i sould worry about ?
Thanks for the help ..
Plur and a happy new year !!
SK

I've done it before and been alright although I've heard from people at my community drugs centre that it's very dangerous especially with alcohol. I suppose it's just a calculated risk.
------------------
HAPPY HARDCORE WILL LIVE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<~p-E-achy~> -=+PLUR+=-

Some antibiotics (Biaxin, Zithromax and perhaps others) use the same liver enzyme pathway (Cytochrome P450) used to metabolize E. This theoretically means that if you are on that type of antibiotic, you could get artificially high levels of E because the antibiotic competes with E for the available enzymes. This could be potentially dangerous.
Call your pharmacist and ask if your antibiotic is metabolized in the liver by the P450 cytochrome. If so, use caution. Regardless, drink alot of water to flush the kidneys while you are on antibiotics.
By the way, WHAT antibiotic ARE you taking. I can consult the PDR for you. =)
---------------------------------------------
Sometimes you can see THE LIGHT
In the strangest of places
If you look at it RIGHT

Some antibiotics (Biaxin, Zithromax and perhaps others) use the same liver enzyme pathway (Cytochrome P450) used to metabolize E. This theoretically means that if you are on that type of antibiotic, you could get artificially high levels of E because the antibiotic competes with E for the available enzymes. This could be potentially dangerous.
Call your pharmacist and ask if your antibiotic is metabolized in the liver by the P450 cytochrome. If so, use caution. Regardless, drink alot of water to flush the kidneys while you are on antibiotics.
By the way, WHAT antibiotic ARE you taking. I can consult the PDR for you. =)
If you look at it RIGHT

Thanks ,
I am taking Biaxin - and i stopped to take it so i can roll NYE - the doctor also told me about the liver and not to play with it
smile.gif

PLUR and happy new year
SK

I was on antibiotics, I think it was called Zithromax, the kind with the six pills. I ended my treatment a few days before I rolled. I was also on Hydrocodone Compound Cough Syrup. At the rave my brother and I dropped the same e, he ended having a great time but I ended up floored. Could it be all the medication I was on?

I'm actually allergic to ALL antibiotics - at leat everyone I've tried. I break out in hives and throw up, etc. It's not much fun. Don't know why I'm posting this. Intense boredom, I suppose.
------------------
xoxo
flux

don't take the cough syrup with "E". codiene is not good to take with "E" and that's what the hydrocodone has in it.

Thanks, everyone is very helpful. I guess I won't be taking anymore of that prescription cough syrup or any Tylenol 3 for a while. Is advil ok?

help....i'm on an antibiotic, it's called augmentin... it has 875mg of amoxixillin and 125mg of clavulanic acid....any info would be appreciated. thanks....
[This message has been edited by jammer24 (edited 30 December 1999).]

Zithromax is a unique antibiotic...It has an incredibly long half life (something like 50 or 60 hours) which is why you only take it for five days. You take 2 pills on day one and 1 pill on days 2 through 5. It continues to stay in the body for about 5 days after you stop taking it, being metabolized very slowly by the liver....
If you took E on day 7 or 8 after starting Zithromax there still could be an interaction between E and Zithromax even though you stopped taking it because the Zithromax is still in your body. Its a powerful but nasty antibiotic. Makes me feel weird.
Augmentin is a combination of amoxicillin and clavulunate potassium. It can be nasty on the stomach but is not metabolized by the P450 cytochrome pathway. Therefore, it should not present the same potential interaction problem that other antibiotics might have with E. Taking augmentin with food will help to minimize stomach problems and actually results in better absorption of the drug.
If you are sick, give some thought to waiting until you are fully recovered before you roll. Just a gentle suggestion. (I have actually ignored my own advice on this so i understand the temptation)
wink.gif

Hope this helps..PLUR TO ALL
--------------------------------------------
If you look at it RIGHT.

From my experience, its not a good idea to mix antibiotics with E. I was taking one, either amoxicillin or penicillin for a cold. I ended up just getting sicker and not even rolling. Be careful.