Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Another Sexual Assault in Service of the Drug War

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member

Another Sexual Assault in Service of the Drug War

Jacob Sullum|
Apr. 12, 2016 8:08 am

Yet another case of a driver sexually assaulted in the name of the war on drugs dramatically illustrates the dangerously broad power that police officers have to mess with motorists. According to a lawsuit filed last September, described in a February 3 ruling by federal judge in Pennsylvania, Kimberlee Carbone was pulled over by New Castle police in November 2013, ostensibly because "she did not apply her turn signal at least 100 feet before the intersection." She was then subjected to a degrading five-hour ordeal that included a bogus DUI arrest, a search of her person and her car, a strip search at the county jail, and multiple probings of her anus and vagina at a hospital. As with David Eckert in New Mexico and the various women whose body cavities have been invaded by cops in Texas, no drugs were found.

Officer David Maiella stopped Carbone in the late afternoon of November 3, 2013, after seeing a man, later identified as Jason Monette, "briefly enter an apartment" and get into her car. Presumably Maiella suspected Monette of buying drugs, and the official, unverifiable justification for pulling over the car was merely a pretext. But according to the Supreme Court, that's OK. About 15 minutes after the stop, Police Chief Robert Salem and Lawrence County District Attorney Joshua Lamancusa arrived at the scene, where they grilled Monette about her companion and asked her whether she had any drugs. She said she didn't, but they did not believe her.

Suddenly claiming to smell the odor of burnt marijuana coming from Carbone's car, Maiella arrested her on suspicion of driving under the influence. He did not administer a roadside sobriety test, which is standard procedure in DUI cases. But he did pat her down, which was allowed as a "search incident to arrest," and he later obtained a warrant to search her car. Neither search discovered any contraband.

At the Lawrence County Correctional Center, Carbone was forced to remove her clothing, "bend over, spread her buttocks, and cough." Carbone says two corrections officers, April Brightsue and Niesha Savage, mistakenly thought they saw a plastic bag protruding from her vagina, so they repeatedly instructed her to "prod her personal areas by inserting her fingers into her vagina" in the hope of dislodging the imaginary item. Then they had her bend over, spread her buttocks, and cough again. Carbone was "crying hysterically" and insisting that she was not concealing anything inside her body. The Supreme Court has approved strip searches as a routine jail precaution for incoming arrestees, even when they are charged with minor offenses and there is no reason to think they are concealing drugs or weapons.

Maiella, the arresting officer, asked Salem and Lamancusa what he should do next, and they instructed him to take Carbone to Jameson Hospital in New Castle for "an internal examination of her body cavities." At the hospital, the cops found a doctor, Bernard Geiser, who agreed that Carbone needed treatment "for a possible overdose, rectal packing and/or oral intake of a controlled substance." But Carbone did not consent to "treatment," and the police did not obtain a warrant authorizing the procedures that followed.

Carbone "was restrained to a bed by her wrists and ankles" as Geiser "performed an internal inspection of her vagina and rectum." He did not find anything. When Carbone said she needed to urinate, she was instructed to do so by squatting over a bedpan on a chair. No foreign objects were found in the bedpan, and no drugs were detected in her urine (despite the fact that she was arrested for driving while stoned). Since Geiser and the cops thought Carbone "might have something located deeper in her vagina and rectum," she was subjected to an involuntary CT scan, which found no foreign objects.

During the CT scan, Carbone says, Lamancusa, the D.A., told her the ordeal would end "if she helped him by provid[ing] information regarding drug-related activity." He also asked her "if she knew what prison felt like." The lawsuit says Lamanusca and the cops added insult to assault by making "derogatory remarks about her compromised position."

Still determined to discover contraband, Geiser "performed a second internal examination of [Carbone's] vagina and rectum," then instructed two nurses to perform a third. They also swabbed her vagina "for testing." After none of these inspections turned up evidence of a crime, Maiella told Carbone she was free to go. She was discharged from the hospital at 9:15 p.m., having spent an hour and a half there and a total of five hours in police custody.

This pattern of escalating searches is similar to what David Eckert experienced after police in Deming, New Mexico, pulled him over for failing to make a complete stop at a stop sign as he left a Walmart parking lot in January 2013. The psychology is understandable: Convinced that someone is carrying drugs, cops and the doctors who willingly assist them see every fruitless examination as a reason to redouble their efforts rather than a reason to question their premise. The more they pointlessly violate the suspect, the more determined they are to justify their efforts and the humiliation they are inflicting.

Although the Supreme Court has upheld routine pat-downs of arrestees and routine strip searches of detainees entering jail, it has never approved the sort of warrantless "treatment" that Carbone says she underwent at Jameson Hospital. In the 1985 case Winston v. Lee, the justices rejected court-ordered surgery to recover a bullet from a robbery suspect, finding that the evidentiary value of the bullet was outweighed by the risks of the operation and the injury to the suspect's "dignitary interests in personal privacy and bodily integrity." It seems likely that the CT scan and multiple vaginal and rectal invasions performed on Carbone without her consent would fail that test as well.

Carbone sued Maiella, Salem, three other police officers, Lamancusa, Brightsue, Savage, Geiser, and a nurse who assisted him, along with the city of New Castle, Lawrence County, and Jameson Health Systems. In his February 3 ruling, U.S. District Judge Terrence McVerry dismissed six of her claims but allowed her to pursue several others, including violations of her Fourth Amendment rights by the police defendants.

Notably, McVerry declined to dimiss a false imprisonment claim against Geiser, who argued that he "was acting in accordance with what he perceived as a valid arrest" and therefore "could not have intended to unlawfully detain" Carbone. "Even if the arrest were facially valid," McVerry writes, quoting an appeals court decision, "circumstances attending or following a detention lawful in its inception may render it unlawful so as to impose liability for false imprisonment."

However Carbone's lawsuit ends, there is no question that the treatment she describes is outrageous, and it would still be outrageous even if police had found drugs in any of the increasingly private locations they searched. The case shows once again how the war on drugs turns peaceful behavior into a crime while transforming criminal aggression into law enforcement.

I left messages seeking comment on this case from the New Castle Police Department and Jameson Health Systems. I will update this post if and when I hear back from them.

Addendum: Radley Balko and Conor Friedersdorf discuss a warrantless, fruitless roadside body cavity search in Aiken, South Carolina, that was so thorough the cops debated with their victim whether the hard object they were feeling was a hemorrhoid.

Addendum II: As a reader points out in the comments, Jameson Hospital is the same medical facility that was sued for facilitating state-sanctioned kidnapping by reporting new mothers who tested positive for opiates to the county, even when the cause was foods containing poppy seeds. In 2013 the hospital settled a lawsuit brought by a woman who temporarily lost her baby because she ate a poppy seed bagel before giving birth. Another woman sued Jameson after a positive drug test and infant seizure triggered by pasta salad with poppy seed dressing.

Addendum III: A case involving a New Mexico woman who was kidnapped and sexually assaulted at a Texas hospital in 2012 based on a dog's purported alert at a border crossing in El Paso does not bode well for Jameson. In 2014 the University Medical Center of El Paso agreed to a $1.1 million settlement of the woman's claims against the hospital and the doctors involved in the body cavity searches, which found nothing incriminating.

cont with vid http://reason.com/blog/2016/04/12/another-sexual-assault-in-service-of-the

This is truly sickening. Not only is it just wrong to detain people in this manner, but the lawsuit against the police officers will be at the state of pennsylvania, and municipality of new castle's expense (Ie...the taxpayer). I used to go to school around new castle and that is a place that cannot afford to take a hit. The zeal that these cops are trying to investigate drug users is insane. If I were a citizen there I would be taking a look at the fact she had nothing, and think to myself that this could very well happen to me.

I tell ya what I'll put a blue light outside in support of the cops if they release all drug war prisoners and put out a tie died light in support of drug users. Until then no cute little blue light will be anywhere besides on my computer screen fighting back.

This is truly sickening. Not only is it just wrong to detain people in this manner, but the lawsuit against the police officers will be at the state of pennsylvania, and municipality of new castle's expense (Ie...the taxpayer). I used to go to school around new castle and that is a place that cannot afford to take a hit.

It doesn't seem like they're that worried about the expense. Even if she didn't sue, this still used up several hours of multiple officers, presumably quite a lot of paperwork, and it involved multiple medical procedures. Who foots the bill for the doctors time or for the CT scan? Scans are pretty expensive, it's not like making a copy at Kinko's. A scan could cost more than $1000, although hers was probably more in the $500-$600 range.

For the amount of time, effort, and cost put into this, even if they did find drugs in her vagina I can't imagine there would be enough to have warranted anything close to this type of behavior.

-----------
I complained about this awhile ago, but never got any helpful solutions from anyone I discussed this with:

About 15 minutes after the stop, Police Chief Robert Salem and Lawrence County District Attorney Joshua Lamancusa arrived at the scene, where they grilled Monette about her companion and asked her whether she had any drugs. She said she didn't, but they did not believe her.

Suddenly claiming to smell the odor of burnt marijuana coming from Carbone's car, Maiella arrested her on suspicion of driving under the influence. He did not administer a roadside sobriety test, which is standard procedure in DUI cases. But he did pat her down, which was allowed as a "search incident to arrest," and he later obtained a warrant to search her car. Neither search discovered any contraband.

A few years back I was going to a friends house and I stopped to get gas on the way. It was dusk out and I had forgotten to turn my headlights back on when I pulled out. About a block away from the gas station I got pulled over for not having my lights on. I was actually somewhat relieved because if I had gotten in an accident, not only does getting in an accident suck, but I would most likely have been at fault. Upon asking for license, registration, the standard stuff I was told that my car smelled like marijuana. First of all, I don't smoke weed in my car, actually I pretty much only vaporize and I don't do that in my car and I don't smoke cigs either. Secondly a few hours early I had eaten a burger from Five Guys that had grilled onions on it and if my car smelled like anything it smelled like burger with grilled onions.

Anyhow, the smell of marijuana from my car allowed them to pull me out and pat me down. I've been patted down before, but this was the first time that I was rigorously patted down. It was mainly a little rougher and longer than previous ones, plus he was vigorously shaking my clothes out. I mean he's shaking my pants and my pant legs, shaking my coat and shirt underneath, checking my gloves, searching all over the ground to see if something fell out. After all this they find nothing. There was two officers and the older cops asks me if him and younger cop could search my car. Before I could say anything younger cop says "we don't need probable cause, his car smells like weed!"

I didn't want any problems, and I knew I didn't have anything in there so I didn't say anything. What was I supposed to do? I can't refute something someone is claiming to smell. I wanted to say "Well then you clearly don't know what weed smells like jackass", but I already got taken out of car, searched, had my car searched and I had been polite and wasn't nervous at all, giving no indication that I had drugs on me. So being an asshole didn't seem to be in my best interest. After about 30-40 minutes on the side of the road (it was winter night in Connecticut), I said I think maybe my friends might have smoked in my car recently when I let them borrow my car. They gave me a hard time about that making negative comments about these imaginary pot smoking friends. The fact that my car smelled suspicious was making these cops have a difficult time with letting me go. They hadn't found anything, but without me offering up an explanation for this imaginary smell I don't think they were ready to let me go. So to get past this problem of an imaginary smell, I had to make up imaginary people to explain away the imaginary smell. Fortunately I got to leave after that and it didn't escalate into getting tazed or anything.

The "I smell XXXX" claim is such bullshit. You can't refute that and you there's no way to prove what it actually smells like.

Last edited:
This is disgusting.
The police are not protecting the people - they are the danger.
All the priorities are messed up - drugs are something people choose to put in their bodies, hurting only themselves. The idea of forced strip searches to "protect" people from themselves is nothing less than pure insanity.
Someone has to change this fucked-up system.

Addendum: Radley Balko and Conor Friedersdorf discuss a warrantless, fruitless roadside body cavity search in Aiken, South Carolina, that was so thorough the cops debated with their victim whether the hard object they were feeling was a hemorrhoid.

Wow. I am left speechless. Part of me is still struggling to accept that this isn't fictitious; that this actually occurred. Unreal...

A few years back I was going to a friends house and I stopped to get gas on the way. It was dusk out and I had forgotten to turn my headlights back on when I pulled out. About a block away from the gas station I got pulled over for not having my lights on. I was actually somewhat relieved because if I had gotten in an accident, not only does getting in an accident suck, but I would most likely have been at fault. Upon asking for license, registration, the standard stuff I was told that my car smelled like marijuana. First of all, I don't smoke weed in my car, actually I pretty much only vaporize and I don't do that in my car and I don't smoke cigs either. Secondly a few hours early I had eaten a burger from Five Guys that had grilled onions on it and if my car smelled like anything it smelled like burger with grilled onions.

Anyhow, the smell of marijuana from my car allowed them to pull me out and pat me down. I've been patted down before, but this was the first time that I was rigorously patted down. It was mainly a little rougher and longer than previous ones, plus he was vigorously shaking my clothes out. I mean he's shaking my pants and my pant legs, shaking my coat and shirt underneath, checking my gloves, searching all over the ground to see if something fell out. After all this they find nothing. There was two officers and the older cops asks me if him and younger cop could search my car. Before I could say anything younger cop says "we don't need probable cause, his car smells like weed!"

I didn't want any problems, and I knew I didn't have anything in there so I didn't say anything. What was I supposed to do? I can't refute something someone is claiming to smell. I wanted to say "Well then you clearly don't know what weed smells like jackass", but I already got taken out of car, searched, had my car searched and I had been polite and wasn't nervous at all, giving no indication that I had drugs on me. So being an asshole didn't seem to be in my best interest. After about 30-40 minutes on the side of the road (it was winter night in Connecticut), I said I think maybe my friends might have smoked in my car recently when I let them borrow my car. They gave me a hard time about that making negative comments about these imaginary pot smoking friends. The fact that my car smelled suspicious was making these cops have a difficult time with letting me go. They hadn't found anything, but without me offering up an explanation for this imaginary smell I don't think they were ready to let me go. So to get past this problem of an imaginary smell, I had to make up imaginary people to explain away the imaginary smell. Fortunately I got to leave after that and it didn't escalate into getting tazed or anything.

The "I smell XXXX" claim is such bullshit. You can't refute that and you there's no way to prove what it actually smells like.

What do you think wouldve happened if you hadnt made up the imaginary story? I mean they didnt have anything, what could they do? And did they run you before their lie about the pot smell? Im wondering cause since you didnt smoke it, do you think they ran your plates and they got back the info about something from your past dealings and just went for it?

Im always worrying about that myself. If one has never had any serious problems, felonies, just pot or little opiates which all ended in fines, these things are not supposed to be written down anywhere in your record. But we all know that is irrelevant to the police.

Do you think stuff like that, even if only misdemeanors and such, gets automatically told to the officer on site by the dispatch like "oh btw Officer Porky, he was pulled over for a marijuana offense 8 years back" and of course the cop immediately sees you as an absolute criminal junkie and a threat to humanity and goes for his gun, I mean smells pot and (ilegally) searches you and the car?

Last edited:
What do you think wouldve happened if you hadnt made up the imaginary story? I mean they didnt have anything, what could they do? And did they run you before their lie about the pot smell? Im wondering cause since you didnt smoke it, do you think they ran your plates and they got back the info about something from your past dealings and just went for it?

Im always worrying about that myself. If one has never had any serious problems, felonies, just pot or little opiates which all ended in fines, these things are not supposed to be written down anywhere in your record. But we all know that is irrelevant to the police.

Do you think stuff like that, even if only misdemeanors and such, gets automatically told to the officer on site by the dispatch like "oh btw Officer Porky, he was pulled over for a marijuana offense 8 years back" and of course the cop immediately sees you as an absolute criminal junkie and a threat to humanity and goes for his gun, I mean smells pot and (ilegally) searches you and the car?

Yes. I had an arrest for pot that happened when I was sixteen (which should not have been on my record/ was expunged) come up in a stop for suspected heroin when I was 32. The courts say they expunge it, but I highly doubt that. It just may not be viewable to employers...but still viewable to cops.

When would this have stopped if she knew her rights though?? At no point in time was there a field sobriety test (rules out dui) and no warrant for 4 separate cavity searches that's fucked.
The cop who arrested her should have to endure the same experience hand/ankle restraints and all.

Also in my state and expunged record only means employers can't see your prior's. A cop can and will definitely flex that right.