• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Concentrates Another cannabis extraction method (not tried)

Coffeeshroom

Bluelight Crew
Hey guys

Seeing as im gonna be doing some extraction from my harvested plants ( BHO extraction, cannabutter and a a new vacuum filtration kit )

with the BHO i have semi knowledge
with the cannabutter i have decent amount of knowledge
with the vacuum filtration kit i have none.

So basically I'm looking for some insight, advice or any help with the following product
Extraction Kit Combo 1 - Vacuum Filtration Kit 1L + Herbasol 1L + Activated Carbon 450g + Diatomaceous Earth 250g
An Extraction/Filtration Kit
200 ml Funnel, 1 L Flask, Hand Vacuum Pump, Filter Paper
Herbasol Extraction Alcohol - 1L
450g Activated Carbon
250g Diatomaceous Earth
Ideal for herbal oil extraction

I can post the instructions too if needed.

So questions are

How good is this form of extraction
Has anyone tried this method
Hows the taste
How does the end results look like ( is it sticky or a fluid and so on )
any other info welcome

thanks

That's using denatured alcohol? You'll produce a product quite similar to isopropanol-extracted hash oil. The ethanol is too polar to be super-selective for the cannabinoids and will also extract the chlorophyll, as well as any indicental waxes. Expect a very dark product, you're not going to make clear shatter with this set up. Also, ethanol will dissolve any moisture in the bud, which could carry through to your oil.

Also, the quantities are... strange. A 200mL funnel on a 1L flask is okay. That will hold an ounce or two of well-ground bud. Could be bigger, but you can run repeated extractions, so whatever.

Hand vaccum pumps are not viewed as a serious vaccum source by anyone, I don't think. Better choices are a water aspirator hooked on a tap, or a recirculating water aspirator, or if you're really fancy, a cheap oil vacuum pump (with a vacuum bleed controller and trap, so you don't suck alcohol into the pump oil). A hand pump will grow tiring really damn fast.

You want to buy a whole bunch of solvent, one liter of solvent is enough for maybe a quarter pound maximum, but more realistically an ounce or two. If you are doing this with any regularity, especially if you lack the ability to recover used solvent by distillation, you will want quantities of 4 liters to 20 liters instead.

The best extraction solvents for cannabis tend to be the plain alkanes. Heptane is slowest to remove completely and expensive, but is nontoxic and the least volatile. Hexane (or its analogous less pure cousins petroleum ether/ligroin and naptha) is the lowest cost, but n-hexane specifically is a chronic carcinogen, so exposure should be limited. Pentane is the most volatile but also quite expensive.

450g of activated carbon is far too much, and it's a hassle to work with too. It's an ultra fine powder that is super duper black, can take a static charge, and gets fucking everywhere. It's also mostly used to remove trace coloured impurities in a final product. Too much other shit is extracted, so you'd need to add so much carbon you'd make a big sticky black mess and regret even trying.

250g of diatomaceous earth (aka celite) is, depending on your point of view, either totally unnecessary or not nearly enough. A 25 kilogram sack of the stuff is under $100. It's more useful for filtrations that tend to be "mucky", like for instance extracting large amounts of pills, or pattially-soluble gums. Bits of cannabis flower would not be expected to clog filter paper and so you don't need to bother with using celite.

That's using denatured alcohol? You'll produce a product quite similar to isopropanol-extracted hash oil. The ethanol is too polar to be super-selective for the cannabinoids and will also extract the chlorophyll, as well as any indicental waxes. Expect a very dark product, you're not going to make clear shatter with this set up. Also, ethanol will dissolve any moisture in the bud, which could carry through to your oil.

Also, the quantities are... strange. You want to buy a whole bunch of solvent, one liter of solvent is enough for maybe a quarter pound maximum, but more realistically an ounce or two. If you are doing this with any regularity, especially if you lack the ability to recover used solvent by distillation, you will want quantities of 4 liters to 20 liters instead.

The best extraction solvents for cannabis tend to be the plain alkanes. Heptane is slowest to remove completely and expensive, but is nontoxic and the least volatile. Hexane (or its analogous less pure cousins petroleum ether/ligroin and naptha) is the lowest cost, but n-hexane specifically is a chronic carcinogen, so exposure should be limited. Pentane is the most volatile but also quite expensive.

450g of activated carbon is far too much, and it's a hassle to work with too. It's an ultra fine powder that is super duper black, can take a static charge, and gets fucking everywhere. It's also mostly used to remove trace coloured impurities in a final product. Too much other shit is extracted, so you'd need to add so much carbon you'd make a big sticky black mess and regret even trying.

250g of diatomaceous earth (aka celite) is, depending on your point of view, either totally unnecessary or not nearly enough. A 25 kilogram sack of the stuff is under $100. It's more useful for filtrations that tend to be "mucky", like for instance extracting large amounts of pills, or pattially-soluble gums. Bits of cannabis flower would not be expected to clog filter paper and so you don't need to bother with using celite.
to be honest i understand about 70% of the post. No im not a veteran in extractions. I always concentrated on easy extractions like old skool method of prolonged boiling and lately the bho mission. So the last mentioned method is completely knew. Can i maybe show the process or instructions. Cause in threre is another method to get a more pure extraction through this process. If this can help you maybe.

Sorry but extraction is a new field for me, i just always just grow and my mates do the rest but with the lockdown i need to start doing this stuff myself.

Plus from what i can order is also very limited, i woud like to try this process but in the back of my mind i also want to buy a new bubble hash machine which is more or less the same price range.

You can feel free to post the process, but just from the supply list I can make some good guesses as to what the recipe would be.
Grind up plant matter, boil it in alcohol, then filter. Optionally, re-boil the plant matter, filter again, and combine the extracts.
Diatomaceous earth is used as a "filter aid" to help prevent clogging filter papers.
The activated charcoal is added to a crude extraction, heated to a gentle boil, and filtered, which removes some colored impurities.
I used to do this sort of stuff for a living for 5+ years so I apologize if I come across as a turbo nerd or all this is a lot to take in!

The simplest I can put it - have you ever heard of something known as QWISO or "Iso oil"? People use drug-store rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) in a very similar process, to extract cannabis and produce a type of hash oil. If you have ever seen it, it's immediately obvious that it is an inferior product to BHO. It is almost always a liquid (rather than a glass/wax), very dark green to black in color, quite viscous, and while it does get you high, the taste is inferior and it provides much harsher smoke than BHO does.

All that said, it's a fun experiment to do if you want to learn more about the process. But it's not a way to produce high grade extracts. You could easily substitute naptha in place of the alcohol to make a much better product though.

I would think that most people would prefer bubble hash to alcohol hash oil, at least when it comes to organoleptics. Good hash has a texture, feel, aroma that is uniquely pleasant, whereas QWISO and the like appear more like used motor oil.

Thanks you gave me quiet a bit to research which is good. Plus i will also look for more reviews on the product with regarding results and so on.

oh and the instruction are more or less the same as you mentioned but thanks again.