• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Amphetamines and change in the eyes (focus etc)

yaesutom

Bluelighter
A couple years back before an eye exam, I took some 2-FMA because I was really tired and wanted to be alert. I do not take amphetamines often anymore, and I still wear the same prescription contacts I got from that day at the eye doctor.

I noticed soon after the eye appointment that my contacts weren't exactly correct as things are still blurry (but not enough for me to care that much to get a new exam) so I just continued on life with the same prescription.

What is interesting is every time I take any amphetamine, my vision goes super clear as if my contacts are perfect. I assume this is because I got the exam while on 2-FMA and it must change the eyes a tiny bit, and so my contacts are only correct for me if i'm on amphetamine. I know its not in my head but I have never heard of this... its like amphetamines slightly change something in the eye while on them. Does anybody know anything about it?

Knowing this now I will be sure to be totally sober the next time I go for an exam lol.

methamphetamine does the opposite of the effect you describe (to me)
as in, things get very blurry depending on how high i get
only drug that has that effect for me.

i haven't found any clear data, but since glaucoma is a contraindication for amphetamines, so i'd assume that they temporarily alter your intraocular pressure. and that could certainly lead to contacts being off by a bit. so if it's true that would explain both of your experiences ;)

There's a decent amount of research on how amphetamine effects the eye and vision. Amphetamine use has been associated with impair blue-yellow colour vision. A possible other mechanism could be due to potential changes in dopamine levels in retina which has a complex role in regulating retinal function.

Your case could be related to increases in intraoccular pressure changing the shape of your eye, with a psychological component as well. Do you notice any difference in your glasses/contacts free vision when you're on amphetamine?

Your case could be related to increases in intraoccular pressure changing the shape of your eye, with a psychological component as well. Do you notice any difference in your glasses/contacts free vision when you're on amphetamine?

Well without contacts my vision is pretty damn blurry so I doubt I would be able to notice a slight change, I assume its there though but too hard to detect.

As others have mentioned, it's probably to do with the pressure within your eye. I'll tell you, one time i was so high on MDMA/Amphetamine i saw double with one eye closed now that's weird.

It seems your eye doctor should have noted abnormally high ocular pressure during your contact lens exam, which includes a glaucoma test.

BTW I am a good friend of 2-FMA as an straight-up no-nonsense productivity enhancer.