• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Amphetamines and Benzo's: Will I end up like Sara Goldfarb?

marky772

Greenlighter
First I'm going to write a bit of background information. I am keeping it brief and only adding what is interesting/relevant to the question.
However, I will do a line of "*'s" before and after for those in a rush or who cba can skip to the question itself.

It is important to add that I have a long history of both eating disorders and addiction. I am 24 and have suffered, on and off, with both eating disorders (since I was 11) and addiction (since I was 17).
I have struggled with anorexia and bulimia for over 13 years and have even been hospitalized with it more than once. I *have* been seriously working on it, and although the thoughts never go away and there is no true *cure* for eating disorders, I have been maintaining a healthy weight and diet and my eating disorder has been considered "in remission" for the best part of the last 18 months.
The substance abuse/dependency started when I was 19. Due to Borderline Personality Disorder and an ever-worsening severe clinical depression, I was profoundly depressed, had an intense anxiety disorder and had become very socially isolated. I had literally no friends and never even seen my family apart from brother and parents whom I lived with.
I eventually (it had taken me 8 years to do so) plucked up the courage to see a doctor about my depression and anxiety. I was shaking like crazy and thought I might pass out, but I did it. He diagnosed with with Major Depressive Episode (Severe) and co-morbid Anxiety Disorder [it was a year later that a psych doctor diagnosed my Borderline Personality Disorder...which actually explains everything else, really] and prescribed me Sertraline (Zoloft).
Purely by coincidence, at this time everyone I knew was suggesting I drink alcohol in order to relax and be able to make friends. A few days after I started on Sertraline, my brother and his friends were having a BBQ in the garden at my house. I to this day don't know why but - plucking up all my courage - I accepted their invitation to join them. At first I was very nervous and quiet and spoke only when spoken to, but by the time I finished my second pint, I felt more relaxed and open.
I ended up having a great time and many of the guys there invited me to hang out with them again.
This led to me hanging out with them several times a week, almost always involving a lot of alcohol and marijuana (the latter I only occasionally partook in).
I began to feel a bit blah and like something was missing when I didn't drink and soon was drinking every night.
One day, months later, I had a sleepover at a friends house. By then I was very social and had many different circles of friends. I was also drinking most of the day, every day, but never ever did I consider it to be an issue. The next morning I woke up and pretty soon was shaking and sweating and vomiting (I was trembling so badly my friends elder brother had to CARRY me to the bathroom to puke). I just felt so terrible.
At 11am my dad picked me up and took me home. This was when I first began to consider maybe I needed alcohol, so when I got home, I quickly down 4 large shots of vodka from one of the bottles I kept in my bedroom. 15 minutes later, every single symptom was gone and I felt great. This is when it dawned on me that I was addicted to, and physically dependant on, alcohol.
Over the next few years my alcoholism worsened considerable, taking over my whole life and ruining the relationships I had with family and friends. I also was hospitalized several time for hallucinations, Delirium Tremens and grand mal seizures due to severe alcohol withdrawal.
Two years ago, I got a very severe case of acute alcoholic pancreatitis. I almost died and spent 10 weeks in hospital (the first 6 in Intensive Care). I was so ill I didn't even realize or remember, but apparently they detoxed me from alcohol using Chlordiazapoxide (Librium) and IV Vitamins.
Acute pancreatitis is an extremely painful medical condition and so I was injected with morphine every 4 hours for the 10 weeks I was in hospital.
So I left the hospital alcohol free, but now physically dependant on opiates. They gave me a prescription for OxyContin to take every 12 hours plus immediate release Oxycodone capsules to take up to four times a day for any breakthrough pain.
I loved the feel of them as I had loved the morphine in hospital and found myself lying about how much pain I was in in order to keep having my prescription increased. Soon swallowing them wasn't enough and I began either chewing or crushing-and-snorting my pills. When I'd reached a certain dose, my doctor refused to increase it any more saying I was on an exceptionally high dose for my age and weight and it would be dangerous to give me any more...so I began buying Oxy online, practically doubling what I received off my doctor.
Eventually I was caught by my parents. I broke down and confessed all and they accompanied me to see my doctor and made me tell him everything.
He was shocked but sympathetic and even got my an appointment at an addictions centre for the very next morning. I spent a week as a day-patient there as I was titrated onto methadone, which would curb my cravings for morphine and oxycodone and prevent any opiate withdrawal, while also preventing any pain.
So for the past 2 years I have stuck to my methadone script. I still occasionally abuse opiates, but not very often and I find I can easily control myself now.
Earlier this year I went into a detox facility (I was drinking up to 8 bottles of wine a day at this point and they had to give me 50mg Librium, 2.5mg Lorazepam and 1.5mg Haloperidol every hour to stop the withdrawals from tiling me) and I have remained abstinent from alcohol ever since.

I still recreationally use drugs of all types (examples include: Adderall, Ritalin, Phenobarbital, Zopiclone, Heroin, Ketamine, MDMA, Valium etc) but the use is always casual and I never let it become problematic. The only time I came close was at the start of this year: I took Amphetamine Sulphate at fairly high doses, 3-4 times a day every single day for 12 weeks.

***********************************************************************************

I have twice in the past used stimulants for weight loss. When I was 17, I read about how you could get "high" by deliberately causing "Acute Caffeine Intoxication", which occurs when you consume more than 300mg of caffeine in a relatively short period of time. I took to replacing breakfast with two LARGE, strong, cups of coffee (300-400mg caffeine) and replacing lunch with 3-4 cans of sugar-free Red Bull (300-375mg caffeine). Sometimes I ate a regular evening meal, sometimes I skipped it.
When I was 20 or 21 I began hearing and reading a lot about a so-called miracle weight loss drug called Ephedrine and - remembering my success with caffeine, which is a significantly weaker stimulant than Ephedrine - I immediately ordered a bottle of the pills. I took the "ECA Stack" (pills containing Ephedrine 30mg, Caffeine 120mg and Aspirin 15mg). I took the maximum dose of two pills three times a day.
I was bursting with energy, couldn't stop talking and literally never felt hungry. It decreased my appetite to the point of my having an aversion to food. Just the sight or smell of it made me feel nauseous and revolted by it.
However, after several weeks I became very anxious and paranoid, became incoherent while talking and began having visual hallucinations. My parents took me to hospital where I was admitted and diagnosed with 1) Acute brief Psychosis, secondary to sleep deprivation and chronic stimulant use, 2) Severe Dehydration and 3) Chronic Malnutrition. After a week on a rehydration drip being fed and given the nutritional supplement drink "Ensure", I was free of all symptoms. I never touched Ephedrine again.

As I said, I spent several weeks on Amphetamine Sulphate earlier this year. I was going through an extremely difficult time, personally. I was made homeless and had to move into an Emergency Accommodation Shelter, my grandmother, whom I was very close to, died of cancer, and my parents announced they were getting a divorce.
I used the amphetamine to help me deal with it, like a mental crutch.
I stopped after 12 weeks when my life seemed to be getting back on track and I felt I no longer needed it.
However, during those 12 weeks I became much more confident and sociable, was able to think and concentrate so much more clearly, lost 35lb without trying and for the first time in as long as I can remember had boundless energy. I hate to say it, but amphetamines made me a better me.

As I say my eating disorder has been in remission for the past 18 months and I maintained a slim/healthy body weight: at 5"7 I was 118-121lb.
I recently weighed myself after a couple of months of not bothering and was disappointed - but not surprised - to see I was 132lb. I suspected as much as my jeans were starting to get tight and two of my favourite tops no longer fit.

I decided I was going to lose 10lb, especially with Xmas - and the inevitable weight gain there - only a month away. Remembering that I had lost 35lb with literally NO effort while taking Amphetamine Sulphate (not to mention how GOOD it had made me feel) I decided to take it for a while, to lose the extra 10lb.

I have now been taking Amphetamine Sulphate three (sometimes four if I'm not gonna sleep that night) times a day for 17 days. In this time I have lost 15lbs, going from 132 to 117.
Great! But I know I'd be happier at 105lb and I don't wanna lose the feeling the amphetamine gives me, so I've decided to continue for the time being.
The only drawback is the severe insomnia. This is how my sleep-cycle went:
Days 1, 2, 3 and 4: No sleep whatsoever.
Days 5 and 6: 2hr30-3hr sleep.
Days 7 and 8: No sleep at all.
Day 9: Just under 3 hours sleep.
I know that a) this was both unhealthy and not maintainable and b) it would soon result in sleep deprivation psychosis. So I purchased some benzodiazepines. Being naturally very prone to anxiety, I have used benzo's many many times and find them a life saver. I have taken at least 15 different ones over the past couple of years, but none for about 8 months. This time I got Pyrazolam (a new one to try) and Diazepam (a reliable old favourite).

I just watched Requiem for a Dream - an extremely good movie about the lives of four individuals living on Coney Island (just off New York) and how their lives spiral out of control as they each fall deeper and deeper into their addictions - and it shook me up a little. Made me worry about what I am doing myself.

If I continue to take highish doses of Amphetamine throughout the day, and then a decent dose of (for example) Valium/Diazepam at night so I can relax and sleep - will I end up like Sarah Goldfarb in Requiem for a Dream? I also read the book and the main ingredient in her diet pills is Amphetamine Sulphate (AKA Pure/Uncut Speed) and the pill she takes at night that knocks her out is Diazepam (Valium). That is LITERALLY, EXACTLY what I am taking.

I'm experiencing only positives so far: losing 15lb in just a couple of weeks, everyone is commenting on how happy and confident I seem, I'm full of energy whereas normally I am almost always tired, I find it easier to keep good conversation flowing, even with people I've just met and I'm wittier/quicker than usual and find it easy to make people laugh; meaning people like me more; the warm, fuzzy, calmness of the diazepam makes such a nice difference at the end of the day and then I practically melt into my bed and ALWAYS have a great, restful and refreshing nights sleep.

The positives of this just so significantly outweigh any negatives there might be. I even know I'm not physically addicted, I could stop if I had to for some reason.

Is there any way I can continue to live this way and stay sane and healthy? I take anti-depressants (an SSRI) every day with nothing bad resulting, I take Methadone (a potent opiate) everyday without any bad results. Oh and I also take antihistamines (Diphenhydramine) daily, again with no drawbacks. So why can't it be the same with Amphetamine Sulphate and Diazepam? Thousands, probably millions, of people take diazepam every day for long periods of time because they suffer a severe anxiety disorder, I have a friend who takes Lorazepam (another benzo) everyday - and has for 6 years - to control epileptic fits. And there are again; thousands, if not millions of people - even KIDS - who take amphetamines (Adderall, Ritalin, Concerta, Focalin, Dexadrine, Vyvanse) every day to treat ADD/ADHA or Narcolepsy.

Is there anyone else out there who takes amphetamines every day, in the long term? Or Benzodiazepines? Or (even better) both? How does it affect your life? Any drawbacks?

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with these drugs, knows someone who has or any professionals in the area of drugs/medications/similar. Even just people who have an opinion or some advice?

Please comment if you can, I feel very alone in this and I have nobody in real life I can talk to, so I would really appreciate to hear from anybody.

P.S Thanks for taking the time to read this :) I apologise for the length, I tried to keep it as short as possible, but there just seemed to be so many relevant things that needed adding (and my amphetamine-addled brain probably had something to do with it lol). I hope it was interesting rather than Boring! Again, thanks x.

Last edited:
Wow. Great story.

You seem fairly normal to me even though you probably dont believe it. You may have the personality disorder but everything else seems to be symptomatic to drug use.

Quit all the drug use except the meds the doc gives you for the disorder. And remember one thing; The happy go lucky girl you found when drinking is the real you. Now that you know she exists, you dont need the booze to bring her out <3

Please find help now! This is all too reminiscent of your boozing and oxycodone days. There is no medicine for stimulant abuse approved unlike with opiates and alcohol. They won't just put you on amphetamine.

I was on both for a couple months, but I'm tapering off lorazepam. I can tell you that the fuzzy, warm, almost glowing experience of going to bed with a benzo in you becomes the norm. The medicinal effects are then the only ones "felt". Same with amphetamine. After a couple months, you won't be feeling so awesome. You'll develop irritability and paranoia unless it's indicated for your disorder. It is for mine as I have severely treatment-resistant depression. For you, I don't know. Sounds like you need heavy counseling. Isn't the methadone enough?

You probably can't live this way forever, one day the good feelings will go away and the side effect will be more and more prominent. Sadly that's life.

Once the honeymoon phase is over it is never coming back. It is possible you can prevent this by only taking it on occasion but this is psychologically difficult. In all likelyhood you will permanently burn out the greatest positive effects of amphetamine. It may take many months but at some point the amphetamine will simply stop being so beautiful. It's effects will gradually fade from enhancement to your old sober normal while and you will be left debilitated without them for a long period of time if you stop. Around this time you will also notice that you experience severe, possibly life threatening withdrawal symptoms from the diazepam whenever you stop for a while.

I only read the 2nd part(below the line) but i can tell that some of your expectations are pretty unreasonable.

I dont want to be the bringer of bad news or anything,i mean im sure you already know that abusing daily amphetamines is one of the worst things to do for your mind n body,let alone if you add even more drugs to the combo.The kids that take it(well most of them at least) have a disease,and amphs work different for them than they work to a healthy person without ADHD.
You admitedly take it mainly for its mood altering abilities,makes you a better person,you talk confident etc.

How you think youll feel when you get off them?You gonna miss your old "better", speed-self,everything will slow down,wont seem as easy to communicate and blend in.Thats psychological dependecy right there.What about tolerance?Slowly youll need more amphs to achieve the desired effects,with very bad consequences for your body and mind.
Sleep deprivation itself alone can cause a million problems,and malnutrition can cause damage to vital organs.

Benzos are the hallmark of physical dependency,they have some the worst WDs among drugs and seem to last forever.They are so easy to get addicted to.

Somewhere you mention you take methadone daily,that could be the source of your weight issues,try to slowly introduce some kind of excersice into your life,and maybe change some dietary habits,i think youll be amazed w the results!

**When i read your sleeping schedule,man its like i saw a horror movie!Seriously i got terrified just thinking of it!Man,try to get some sleep,youre really pushing it to the limits and ones body can take so much before it starts shutting down!Also,i can smell psychosis coming just from reading that same schedule,id suggest you lay off the speed for a couple of days and get some sleeeeeepp!!!!

Kids on amphetamines take less and sometimes even only when needed (Like when they have to learn for school). It's a bad idea to be on this dose for a longer time (if you can't sleep it is to much)
Also, stay away from benzos. If you have problems with anxiety, amphetatime can make it worse and benzos aren't the best choice, too.

Stop both.

If you really need the methadone for pain and still have problems with anxiety that are severe enough to justify a new drug, you could ask your doc for pregabalin. You could probably save some methadone then and have less anxiety.

Like black kat wrote, maybe you could work on your lifestyle (Of course, we don't really know what you are already doing right now). Do exercise, find a shrink etc.
Don't expect wonders - it will take time to get better, but it will work. It's important to get the feeling of being in charge of one's life.

Short answer, no. I did something similar a few years back, taking adderall everyday being really productive and feeling great. After a month of that I started getting really harsh comedowns where I would get depressed and have a lot of anxiety and insomnia. Then I had to take benzos to counteract those nasty feelings. Not too long after that I had a psychotic episode and went crazy for a few days. Large amounts of speed and benzos is a huge recipe for disaster.

The honeymoon phase you get at first goes away quickly, and it doesn't come back. Then you're left with more negatives than positives (not sleeping for days, feeling irritable, harsh on your body). I don't think this shit should be prescribed to children but they take small amounts usually once before school. They don't binge and take it 4 times a day. IMO it's not worth it and it's better to only use them once or twice a month when you really need that boost. Amphetemines shouldn't be taken daily because they loose the effectiveness and have more side effects. My .02 cents, hope it helps

I got No Idea Who that is But All I know is that Abusing Any Substance is Never Good But Using A Mary-Go-Round Combination Of Uppers And Downers is the WORSE And Can NEVER EVER Have VERY LITTLE GOOD IF ANY AT ALL CAN COME FROM IT!

I more or less agree with what others have said and don't think that sort of drug use is at all sustainable. I don't think you necessarily have to abstain from everything except prescribed medication but if you are going to self medicate, you need to learn how to do so responsibly. You say that methadone and SSRI's are basically okay to use more or less permanently, and you're kind of right in that the body adjusts to deal with them over time, but with respect to the methadone, I doubt that you're exactly benefiting from it at all now; it's probably just keeping withdrawal at bay, making you constipated and generally controlling your life. I don't really know enough about SSRI's to comment, so I'll just assume that your doctor knows best and that the negative effects of chronic use (which are bound to exist) are outweighed by the positives given your particular circumstances, but if it were me and there was no chronic condition involved I wouldn't want to be a slave to them forever; I'd rather use them until I felt I was in a comfortable and stable position in life and then wean off and try to integrate the benefits of the medication into non-medicated life.

Your body will adjust to long-term stimulant use as well, but just like opiates (or any other class of drug I can think of) that just means you develop physical tolerance and it becomes less effective. Sure, you could just keep ramping the dosage up and chasing that high, but I'm sure you know that's a recipe for disaster. Using benzo's regularly to manage stimulant induced insomnia and anxiety is a really bad idea too. Even if you could manage to hold something resembling a sleeping pattern in place (I don't know about you but I certainly couldn't) you'd just end up as a slave to yet another two chemicals, which again, will be more or less useless (or even harmful) once you can't afford to chase the high any longer. Stimulant binges are pretty hard on the body too. Not eating or sleeping for days/weeks on end is.. well, you've been there and got the t-shirt.

My advice: Set yourself strict limits on drug usage and stick to them. What I do is set myself a fairly conservative monthly baseline quota which I try to stick to most of the time and a higher weekly maximum limit which I never exceed except in exceptional circumstances. If I go over my baseline significantly or for a long time, I try to redress the balance somewhat by taking less than baseline over the the following week(s). So for example, my baseline benzo quota is the equivalent of 40mg diazepam per month and my maximum is 50mg per week (and rarely more than 20mg per day.) If I get close to my maximum limit in a week, I'll usually abstain for at least a couple of weeks after. In practice, I often exceed my baseline quota's a fair bit (not by a large amount, though quite often), but I think it helps to have a low target to aim for, at least for drugs with high potential for addiction and/or tolerance. I know this all sounds a bit OCD but I'm literally one of the most disorganised people you could ever meet, so if I can manage this, there's no reason anyone else couldn't.

Hey I really liked your story and could relate to it alot especially with the alcohol shit . I think you'd be good for a few months, but you obviously know physical addiction sucks and inevitably the valium will suck you in. I also had a stint with adderall addiction and it sucked, but not near as bad as benzo addiction and alcohol. All good things like this situation come to an end.

I do the same combo but maybe once a month and top one sleplless night. I even mix the two because they are synergistic! I will be short because i have experience with amph sulphate and I was on xanax sr. Can't speak about oxy's or adderral because where I'm from ADHD is not seriousely accepted. and after surgery pain is manage with tramadol or in extreme cases morphin. your sleeping is horror like above mentioned because of binge which lead to psychosis and they treat that with Haloperidol-horror

only opioids are H, methadone daily presricption, and Bupe which would be the better option speakly about your pancreatitis! think about it!
alchohol, Methadone and Benzos which are hard on pancreas, speed which drips, pills, MDMA, ECA stacks...........sorry if I went to far just trying to help! Pancreatis in your age you must seriouse

If you can try deal with anxiety with pregabalin, which is not hard and excrete through kidneys very fast would be better then benzos
If you go from methadone to Bupe I suggest you tapper very fast because It's hard to go through withdrawal!

Very best

Hey Marky! As you're a greenlighted, I'd like to welcome you to the forums. We are happy to have you and look forward to having you around :)

I'll preface this. In no way am I judging you personally. There are some hard and fast truths that sometimes are best to address head-on as opposed to dancing around it.

-Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is a radically different drug then Amphetamines. They just cant really be compared.

-Opioids including Methadone are actually not inherently toxic to the body. You can die from OD, but chronic use is not significantly harmful aside from the psychological toll it can take. Severe constipation is frequently the worst symptom but it's easily treated in most cases.

-Many of the millions of controlled drug scripts that have been written, were not written with the patient's best interest at heart. Benzodiazepines are not meant to be used outside of 2-4 weeks AT MOST, outside of serious conditions like epilepsy. Long term Benzo dependence often causes serious, sometimes permanent problems.

Your history of eating disorders and Alcoholism mean you are significantly more susceptible to addiction and dependence upon drugs. You are an addict, just as I am.

What you're describing here is not a good thing for you. This is my opinion but its heavily backed by data and all of the experiences I've had through BL. Not only are you an addict, but as someone with an eating disorder, stimulants like Amphetamine can easily make you feel like "this is the missing piece/this makes me better" etc.

This feeling is common with all drugs, but Amphetamines specifically have a tendency to make people feel like "better versions" of themselves. Amphetamine can be beneficial, but this only applies to very responsible dosing or in acute scenarios i.e. writing a paper, studying etc.

You're using speed up to 4 times a day, regularly foregoing sleep and using powerful sedatives to mitigate the side effects and I would imagine, to get to sleep.

The problem is, Benzodiazepines don't eliminate the negative effects of chronic Amphetamine use, they just mask them. By using Benzo's, it's much harder to realize/accept what is happening to you.

If you continue like this, my fear is that you will be swallowed up by this. You're emotionally fragile right now and you've found something that "makes you better".

Benzodiazepines are great for dealing with stimulant side effects, comedown etc. but they are going to mask the severity of what is happening with your body. Essentially, these two drugs reinforce each other.

Amphetamines and Benzo's alike can cause severe negative changes to the brain. You're still in the honeymoon phase right now, which is a great time to say " I had fun but I cant do this anymore".

You could quickly end up addicted to and dependent upon these two drugs. Amphetamine has a litany of negative effects in the short and long term like:

-Paranoia, breakdown of muscle, dental problems including lost teeth, seizures, delirium to name a few. There are animal studies implying Amphetamine is neurotoxic like Methamphetamine.

Benzodiazepines can produce a withdrawal syndrome after only weeks of use. Chronic use of Benzodiazepines is known to produce a severe Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome that can last months or even years.

So my advice would be to reign all of this in as much as possible. If you're willing to try and reduce or cease your current regimen we can help you. You can PM us or we can do it all in-thread.