• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Amphetamine solidifying water - what reaction is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kassoviv

Greenlighter
I just got a small batch of "speed" paste. I dried it and to make it more easy to dose and consume I put about 400 mg in a 5ml syringe and filled it up with water. It didn't dissolve well and remained cloudy. So I applied some heat by holding the syringe under hot water. This didn't help much. Then I ingested 1ml of the cloudy liquid and it had the desired effect.

About four hours later I checked the syringe and to my surprise all of the remaining 4ml had solidified to wet crystals. Unfortunately I didn't investigate this any further, because I was in a bit of a shock for having ruined my speed.

Instead I remembered that last time I had prepared such a syringe I had added some citric acid. So I prepared a saturated solution of citric acid and replaced the 1ml I had ingested by that. Now the citric acid is melting away the crystals forming a clear liquid.

I understand that adding acid may make a substance create water soluble salts, so that "melting away" is probably easy to explain. However, what was that large amount of crystalline substance which formed from adding nothing but water and heat to a pinch of speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.