• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Amphetamine and 5HTP

Lightning-Nl

Bluelighter
I'm pretty knowledgeable about Amphetamine.

I know all about how amphetamine can cause SERT to flow in reverse. It's believed that this is caused by TAAR1 agonist. But I won't go into that. When I first started taking Amphetamine, it's effects were identical to MDMA, but there have long since gone. I've been looking for something that will bring that magic back - so I decided I'd try combining some 5HTP with Adderall.

But, I'm not quite sure what dosage to take, and how dangerous it could be. I've already taken 300MG's of 5HTP at the moment. And I just dosed 40MG's IR of Adderall. But was the 5HTP dose dangerous? What else should I be doing?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Moved this post to a trip report

Above questions still stands.

Last edited:
I don't believe 5-HTP and amphetamine is a dangerous combination, I used to take 30mg of adderall IR twice a day and 500mg l-tryptophan (the precursor to 5-HTP) with my morning dose every day. however, 300mgs is a high dose of 5-HTP, and while I'm fairly certain that there isn't much danger in taking high doses of it, mixing it with adderall seems like it could possibly cause some nasty serotonin syndrome type stuff, however I'm not sure on the effects of amphetamine on serotonin, in fact, I thought that it had no serotonergic properties at all.

Very old threadI know but better than starting a new one.
I took Vyvanse 70mg for years and and now Adderall IR. Almost every time if I can help it I also take 5-htp. I use an extended release formulation.
Ive found the amphetamine side effects are lessened, while keeping all the positive effects of 5-htp. heard a few and far between articles cautioning the combo, my experience as well as most articles say it's safe and effective.

I would love to know more on this, I've had not much success with finding a lot of info using the search engine, or many other places I've searched.

Very old threadI know but better than starting a new one.
I took Vyvanse 70mg for years and and now Adderall IR. Almost every time if I can help it I also take 5-htp. I use an extended release formulation.
Ive found the amphetamine side effects are lessened, while keeping all the positive effects of 5-htp. heard a few and far between articles cautioning the combo, my experience as well as most articles say it's safe and effective.

I would love to know more on this, I've had not much success with finding a lot of info using the search engine, or many other places I've searched.
The only issue is that taking 5HTP regularly is known to cause catecholamine imbalance

This is because the organic cation transporters that are required to move the precursors into cells for conversion to catacolamines will be filled with 5-HTP instead of tyrosine.

As dopamine production will be decreased, it follows that norepinephrine production will be decreased because dopamine is the precursor to norepinephrine.

Regular 5-HTP supplementation while using amphetamines can cause a significant imbalance with respect to catecholamines.

The only issue is that taking 5HTP regularly is known to cause catecholamine imbalance

This is because the organic cation transporters that are required to move the precursors into cells for conversion to catacolamines will be filled with 5-HTP instead of tyrosine.

As dopamine production will be decreased, it follows that norepinephrine production will be decreased because dopamine is the precursor to norepinephrine.

Regular 5-HTP supplementation while using amphetamines can cause a significant imbalance with respect to catecholamines.
Can we talk more about this? PM if you can, this is stuff I need as much information on as possible. Thanks.

I've heard of ppl going mad crazy and stealing 5-htp during the rave phases of x all over the place, and the news. But what is it really about 5-htp? It just helps you rebound from you amphetamine come down? Yet sounds like it potentiates it? So confused