• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ambien for day-time generalized anxiety disorder

TheSacredTree

Bluelighter
Here's a question probably nobody has any real experience with but is it possible for a doctor to prescribe Ambien (multiple times a day) for day-time generalized anxiety disorder?

I've been on the stuff, for insomnia, for years now but it stopped actually putting me to sleep many months ago and I've noticed it really works for getting rid of social and generalized anxiety.

I've also never blacked out on it at doses under 40mg and feel like I can function normally at regular doses. Never hallucinated on it either.

I know it's unlikely a doctor would agree and say okay to this plan but is it something that has been prescribed for this before? Is it indicated for day-time use anywhere in the textbooks?

No, it is not practical; it has a fast onset, and with a tolerance to the hypnotic effects, slightly higher (that is, roughly equivalent) doses will, in theory function like a typical benzodiazepine, and could be used; however it simply wears offf too quickly.
Valium is actually quite similar, a fast acting benzodiazepine that some find quite effective l, and it holds a bit longer.

Would consider that, personally, if you are in the market for a GAD bzd; be weary of the usual tolerance/depends possibilities, however, if you use it daily(multiple daily doses that is)

There are others, that will work better than zolpidem. If it works for you taking a couple occasionaly shouldn't be a problem, however you simply will not get RX'ed it for daytime use, although CR formulations exist(they still would wear off faster than many traditional benzodiazepines, though ) and ultimately you may as well be on a benzodiazepine, if you are simply going to take zolpidem instead

No, it is not practical; it has a fast onset, and with a tolerance to the hypnotic effects, slightly higher (that is, roughly equivalent) doses will, in theory function like a typical benzodiazepine, and could be used; however it simply wears offf too quickly.
Valium is actually quite similar, a fast acting benzodiazepine that some find quite effective l, and it holds a bit longer.

Would consider that, personally, if you are in the market for a GAD bzd; be weary of the usual tolerance/depends possibilities, however, if you use it daily(multiple daily doses that is)

There are others, that will work better than zolpidem. If it works for you taking a couple occasionaly shouldn't be a problem, however you simply will not get RX'ed it for daytime use, although CR formulations exist(they still would wear off faster than many traditional benzodiazepines, though ) and ultimately you may as well be on a benzodiazepine, if you are simply going to take zolpidem instead

That's kinda where the problems lie though. I've been on various benzos during the day and Ambien for insomnia for quite a few years now.

Clonazepam has worked the best but I'm getting allergic to the flavoring in the tablets. Ativan made me suicidal. Valium just doesn't seem to work at all (can feel it for maybe 1 hour if I take three tablets and then I need more).

This is why I was thinking Ambien. It works for my anxiety every time, even after years but does wear off fairly fast (about 4 hours).

I'm just in need of something that will work and not make me want to die from this crippling anxiety I've been going through recently.