• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Am I the only one with a problem rating things?

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
Whether it's a movie, a song, a restaurant... anything really. It seems I only know how to rate things either 1 or 5 in a 5 point rating system a lot of times. If it's something I don't like but don't absolutely hate it might be easier for me to give a 2 or something, but for something I like I just usually automatically rate 5 stars. So the question is, how do you go about rating something?

5 points doesn't give you much in the way of granularity. maybe that's not helping?

try thinking of things in terms of a 10-point or even 100 point scale - where the difference between a 27 and a 53 might feel more 'real'. if you need, for whatever reason, to use a 5 point scale, then do the rating on your internal 100-point scale and round e.g. 27 is 1, 53 is 3, etc.

alasdair

Last edited:
People who study polls and social statistics find that some people rate things only on the extreme ends in black and white. They see the extremes like a 1 or 5 on a graded scale of 1 to 5. They don't see the nuances or the shades of gray. The social sciences tell us that politically, they tend to see real life issues in black and white as well.

Other people only see things as gray. On a scale of 1 through 5, they rate everything a 3.

yeah I hate rating but I buy a lot on Amazon and eBay so it does matter to me, usually I'll look for the comment where someone actually offers what their rating criteria was instead of just "it works great!" with 5 stars. I've had to design a rating system and after some trial-and-error settled on the 5-stars system but with half-points possible so ten unique data points instead of just five. There is definitely a problem with having too much choice, and IIRC there have been some good essays written on that topic...

usually I'll look for the comment where someone actually offers what their rating criteria was instead of just "it works great!" with 5 stars.

Heh, I think a lot of those are people's friends or employees. :\

It makes me think of 'the wisdom of crowds' by James surowieki, which discusses various case studies in which the aggregrate of responses given by a group of people resulted in answer which was more accurate than an expert's answer. This was in relation to case studies such as guessing the weight of an ox, but it may be worth trusting an average rating on e.g. amazon, and subjectively matching it to your own criteria for ratings.?

Haha I used to feel pressured to rate all the music in my iTunes library as I listened a few years ago (not the store ratings but the personal star ratings next to each track). Completely futile exercise as I don't agree with any of my past 'ratings' when I listen back to old stuff.

fuck, giving everything a 5, that's so optimistic.

Other people only see things as gray. On a scale of 1 through 5, they rate everything a 3.
i'm defs one of these people. haha. most things r a 3.

Haha I used to feel pressured to rate all the music in my iTunes library as I listened a few years ago (not the store ratings but the personal star ratings next to each track). Completely futile exercise as I don't agree with any of my past 'ratings' when I listen back to old stuff.
i used to do this too. but yes. it's an issue when you overplay a song too much and it goes from a 5 back down to a 1. dont even use itunes anymore. everyone just streams now hey. and with some of the new music apps or whatever they can analyse what you listen to and know what you would highly rate or not just from ur behaviour.

i'm not a huge rater, i like to base my conclusions of experiences and things more on feelings. and also on whether it's novel or important in some way. those two qualities would make something more appealing to me.

5 points doesn't give you much in the way of granularity. maybe that's not helping?

try thinking of things in terms of a 10-point or even 100 point scale - where the difference between a 27 and a 53 might feel more 'real'. if you need, for whatever reason, to use a 5 point scale, then do the rating on your internal 100-point scale and round e.g. 27 is 3, 53 is 5, etc.

alasdair

I'd have a little think about that if I were you.

No wonder people have trouble rating things.

it's an obvious simple error. i'm sure you knew what i meant. but fixed for mr. pedantic :)

alasdair

5 - Perfect
4 - Minor negatives or averages (food was delicious but took a little long, great experience but no parking)
3 - Meh, average, ok. Nothing special. Probably won't return.
2 - Not good (service was HORRIBLE but food was ok, will not return)
1 - Really bad (service and food was horrible)

Whether it's a movie, a song, a restaurant... anything really. It seems I only know how to rate things either 1 or 5 in a 5 point rating system a lot of times. If it's something I don't like but don't absolutely hate it might be easier for me to give a 2 or something, but for something I like I just usually automatically rate 5 stars. So the question is, how do you go about rating something?

Almost certainly TL;DR response:

I have the opposite problem. In terms of creative things, like you say, a movie, a song / album, a restaurant (well, the type that you'd sit down, not dress like a bum, and take a date to, if not really haute cuisine), at least, things that you see a lot of, that would include movies, albums, restaurants, to me anyway you get some that really stick out in your mind, some that are excellent and that you might return to again and again, things that are average, and then trending down from there. But I have a great difficulty giving anything for 5. Probably a great deal of difficult giving anything a 1, too.

For example, 5-10 years ago, when I had a first date or had people coming out of town to visit, one of my favorite places to go used to be a Spanish place in the West Village called Tio Pepe. Well done food, decent wine list, good service, not "value" but not ridiculously overpriced. Enjoyed it a lot and became a bit of a regular, they'd recognize me, know my favorite wine, give me little extras. But is that a 5 star restaurant? Definitely not, even accounting for price. It's one that I like a lot, it's memorable in the sense that I would often return there, but it's not exactly as if dining there for the first time was some memorable event. I'd say 3-3.5. 4 would be generous. They've changed the menu over the years and I am no longer so much a fan, so now, regrettably, it's a 2, and I've been there only once or twice in the past few years. Now, something like Masa or the Mandarin Oriental, those are legit 4.5-5 star restaurants, eating there could change your life.

This is something like the Michelin Star system, which has only 3 stars, and goes like this:

1 Michelin star: "A very good restaurant in its category" ("Une très bonne table dans sa catégorie")
2 Michelin stars: "Excellent cooking, worth a detour" ("Table excellente, mérite un détour")
3 Michelin stars: "Exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey" ("Une des meilleures tables, vaut le voyage").

Anything less isn't worthy of a star, i.e. in this formulation:

5 - Perfect
4 - Minor negatives or averages (food was delicious but took a little long, great experience but no parking)
3 - Meh, average, ok. Nothing special. Probably won't return.
2 - Not good (service was HORRIBLE but food was ok, will not return)
1 - Really bad (service and food was horrible)

would rate 1-3. Tio Pepe as I mentioned above has no Michelin Star. But I'm not really a haute cuisine guy and those kinds of restaurants are ridiculously expensive, for a workaday guy like myself they are not in my regular vocabulary.

Or on to music. I'd say a 5 star album zhas to be flawless, even ground breaking. This gets incredibly subjective. Iconic stuff like Revolver, Exile on Main Street, etc. obviously. I might sneak in personally some relevant albums that I really dig, say Pretenders (self-titled), Marquee Moon by Television, etc. These are all, I'd say, culturally significant. A cut above. I mostly don't talk about the Dead in album terms although American Beauty is up there, but 5 star shows would be like 3/1/69, 5/8/77, a very few others. There's obviously a rockist and older bias her. A 4 star album I could listen to forever and is a part of my life, and that I would consider pretty damn well perfectly executed. Whatever by Aimee Mann, Ritual of Battle by Army of the Pharaohs to name two. A 3 star album is a good album. Anything less is not going to be on my rotation.

Pretty much the same with movies.

Basically, I can't really go as far as to rate something 5 stars just because I like it. Art is subjective of course, but there's also some kind of objective consideration of artistry that I think needs to come into play.

People who study polls and social statistics find that some people rate things only on the extreme ends in black and white. They see the extremes like a 1 or 5 on a graded scale of 1 to 5. They don't see the nuances or the shades of gray. The social sciences tell us that politically, they tend to see real life issues in black and white as well.

This, and maybe what OP is really talking about, and what Pretty Diamonds is talking about, is more of a Likert Scale, this is about rating your feelings about something, like/dislike, agree/disagree. There's a lot of discussion on that Wiki page with issues about this. But since OP is mainly asking about art, which I think is something that has an eternal quality that is beyond ourselves and even our subjective opinion ... I think it cheapens art to talk about it just in terms of what we like ,but we need to look at it as relates to it's impact on culture and lives (yes, including our own lives.) I don't particularly like Abstract Impressionism, or thrash metal, but Pollock's No. 5 or Slayer's Reign in Blood probably rate 5 stars. There are cuisines that I don't particularly care for that have 5 star restaurants, etc.

So basically what I think OP is asking is about how do we rate things that go beyond our own simple binary like/dislike, I think that as far as that goes, it's all about context. How does this album, it's impact on that genre and scene, it's impact on you, relate to other albums? How does this restaurant relate to other restaurants in terms of presentation, decor, service, food quality, innovation, all the je ne sais quois?

Honestly it is in your best interest to learn rating in restaurants. Basically, the more feedback you can give a chef (not in corporate restaurants and so forth) the better he can get his staff to serve you your food, and create specials that everyone likes.

During service once it calmed down a bit, I would put my chef coat on and go out and talk to guests and maybe give some wine out just to get the lay of the land....for some reason old people really like this. However, it is like UN fact finding mission for me.

Almost certainly TL;DR response:
This, and maybe what OP is really talking about, and what Pretty Diamonds is talking about, is more of a Likert Scale, this is about rating your feelings about something, like/dislike, agree/disagree. There's a lot of discussion on that Wiki page with issues about this. But since OP is mainly asking about art, which I think is something that has an eternal quality that is beyond ourselves and even our subjective opinion ... I think it cheapens art to talk about it just in terms of what we like ,but we need to look at it as relates to it's impact on culture and lives (yes, including our own lives.) I don't particularly like Abstract Impressionism, or thrash metal, but Pollock's No. 5 or Slayer's Reign in Blood probably rate 5 stars. There are cuisines that I don't particularly care for that have 5 star restaurants, etc.

So basically what I think OP is asking is about how do we rate things that go beyond our own simple binary like/dislike, I think that as far as that goes, it's all about context. How does this album, it's impact on that genre and scene, it's impact on you, relate to other albums? How does this restaurant relate to other restaurants in terms of presentation, decor, service, food quality, innovation, all the je ne sais quois?
OP said restaurant and thus my response to the restaurant portion.

:p

A meal has way to many subjective elements. It is hard to rate. You can rate the service, you can rate the doneness of yyour steak, or how much you enjoyed it. However, unless your going to a chain restaurant or a diner, it is really hard to rate the art of cooking.

for example: You run a restaurant and your edamame is the best in town. Someone that loves edamame might rate you 4/5 (server spilled their wine once hence the four instead of five)

someone that doesn't like edamame may rate you 2/5 (she is dating one of the bussboys hence the 2 instead of one)

does that make any sense? There are way to many factors to take into account when rating food that only using a star system does no justice to it. Direct feedback from the customer to the chef, or customer to server is the only way because each person is different...if someone say likes salmon but not tuna...you might suggest something like arctic charr if you were a server, but if someone likes beef, but wants it well done, suggest the sirloin. It is part of the illusion of service in restaurants.