View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Am I simply not meant for tripping?

AustinS

Greenlighter
I've been looking for someone to discuss this with but have had no luck, since all of my friends who trip give bad advice regarding it. I have tried lsd 3 times and shrooms twice, and 4 out of 5 times I have tripped have been generally a bad time for me. One of which was at a music festival and I took 300 ug with hardly any prior experience so that bad trip is self explanatory. However after giving it two more chances at a dose of 150-200 ug AND in a very safe. calm, environment, with a good mindset and at a comfortable, non stressful point of my life, I still had a bad trip both times. I have never suffered from anxiety or depression for my entire life however within an hour of tripping I immediately begin to feel overwhelmed no matter how low or high the dosage. I have suffered extreme ego loss every time I have tripped and usually have to be calmed down by a friend. My friends' all say I just need to learn to "let go" but that is easier said than done for me. It has been 6 months since my last trip and the only reason I wish to try again and not give up entirely is because there were still moments in every trip I actually enjoyed, however the amount of anxiety I get overwhelms almost the entire trip. I do not know what to do, my friends' best advice is to "just take a higher dose" or to just keep xanax on hand for the trip, Im considering the second option however I want to be able to enjoy the trip without the need of it. I have a couple buddies who both suffer from depression however they both love tripping especially at high doses and they claim it is euphoric, however I almost never feel euphoria except for the first hour maybe. I'm starting to believe I just simply wasnt meant to trip. I don't have anyone reasonable to discuss this with and that is why I am posting on here, any advice will be appreciated greatly, thank you!

Psychedelics just aren't for everyone. I always get bad anxiety whenever I tried shrooms and tend to not even get visuals from them. Must psychedelics I've tried have ended up being a negative experience with lots of anxiety etc. I think if you can manage to go into it with a not caring attitude that will allow you to enjoy yourself. It sounds like anxiety is the main thing preventing you from enjoying them. Maybe sticking to other drug of choices would be the best option.

Yeah I think you're right, having the bad trip early on into trying psychedelics definitely made me hesitant to try it again after. Appreciate the reply man

No problem man, if you are set on doing psychedelics again I would look into some anxiety coping things that you could do to reduce or stop anxiety the next time you try it. Certain thoughts can really help cancel out any thoughts or feelings of anxiety.

I reached a point in my teens where I was starting to have lots of bad trips and stopped tripping for a long time. Then came back to it in my late 20's and was able to go a lot deeper. Still have bad trips but I take it more in stride and bad trips don't snowball into freak outs. You can always try tripping later in life and things will likely change. Any personal work you do towards increased mindfulness, surrender and stress reduction should help with that but can take time.

For me, just knowing i had xanax on hand if i needed it, put my mind instantly at ease and never have had a bad trip since. GL. Never give up. Tripping can be such an amazing experience. Especially with someone you love... tripping sex is sooo good with your special someone :)

Edit: also want to add that i have never needed to use the xanax anytime i have tripped. You'd be surprised but just knowing you have it on hand makes a world of a difference!

Thats smart! I will probably do the same, knowing I have an emergency brake will definitely calm the nerves for me and I might not need it, like you said, since I always feel trapped and have feelings like "this is never going to end"

Begin a practice of meditation, breathwork, and grounding. Learn how to be in your body and comfortable with greater intensities of feeling and sensation. Learn how to calm yourself using the breath and to dis-identify from the mind.

Certain people are much, much more sensitive to psychedelics than others, meaning their threshold dose is a small fraction of what others seem to be comfortable taking, so in general,
never mind what people say.

If you are prone to bad trips, steer clear of psilocybin, and never smoke weed before/during your trip. Start off with 1/3 tab (40ug) of LSD or ALD-52, and do that amount several times to establish your equilibrium. If all goes well, advance to 1/2 tab (60ug) and hold it there awhile. Advance no more than 1/4 tab (30ug) after that, and in general, dose only once in a session.
I would avoid mixing any other drugs with psychedelics while you are finding your feet (say, for the first year).

For someone like yourself, the best policy is START SMALL AND INCH FORWARD.

Last edited:
Good advice, I can definitely do something like that, my first experience was on 75ug in a safe, quiet environment and it was very pleasant and easy to handle, mild visuals and music sounded incredible, the second time was 300ug at a music festival and I was a dummy and smoked during the come up. Very bad experience, ended up getting pick pocketed during the peak that night as well but that's a different story.

Set, setting, and dose is everything. If you can?t handle moderate doses without freaking out don?t take the suggested middle of the road dose.

I?m very much prone to freaking out on psychedelics but i can keep it together because i restrict myself to only using them when i know the environment will be safe and pleasant. Combine that with the fact that i keep my doses at the lower end of spectrum and it?s recipe for a nice night.

Pass up the chance to trip if you don?t have yourself in check, they?ll be other opportunities.

@AustinS
I might be like you constitution wise.

I usually take less than others and find the effect strong.
The most I have taken in several years is 100mics
Usually I take 25 to 50 mics and I love it.

If you have it around, take a quarter tab and see what happens some day when you are alone.
If you want to take more - wait 2 days and you are good for an experiment at a higher amount, say one half tab.

I think all of your doses so far are too much for your body
you might be one of the lucky ones who have extra receptors in some parts of your brain.

Certain people are much, much more sensitive to psychedelics than others, meaning their threshold dose is a small fraction of what others seem to be comfortable taking, so in general,
never mind what people say.

If you are prone to bad trips, steer clear of psilocybin, and never smoke weed before/during your trip. Start off with 1/3 tab (40ug) of LSD or ALD-52, and do that amount several times to establish your equilibrium. If all goes well, advance to 1/2 tab (60ug) and hold it there awhile. Advance no more than 1/4 tab (30ug) after that, and in general, dose only once in a session.
I would avoid mixing any other drugs with psychedelics while you are finding your feet (say, for the first year).

For someone like yourself, the best policy is START SMALL AND INCH FORWARD.

Plus 10. That?s exactly the point. Absolutly dont mix with cannabis. You can take some beers but dont overdo. Just have some benzo in the pocket. And cut the dose to 1/4 or 1/3 maximun.

Boun voyage!

After 1000 or 2 acid tabs I decided psychedelics are evil (dissociatives are ok.)

Sorry for extremely late reply, but i have a friend who is getting into K and other dissociatives and wants me to try some as well, however I am afraid to since I have a hard time with acid so far. How different is the experience? I have read plenty of trip reports of K and heard stories but I'd love to hear the opinion of someone who doesn't like psychedelics but enjoys dissociatives. Since most people I know who enjoy K-holing also enjoy acid.

Sorry for extremely late reply, but i have a friend who is getting into K and other dissociatives and wants me to try some as well, however I am afraid to since I have a hard time with acid so far. How different is the experience? I have read plenty of trip reports of K and heard stories but I'd love to hear the opinion of someone who doesn't like psychedelics but enjoys dissociatives. Since most people I know who enjoy K-holing also enjoy acid.

K is different. The first few times are very strange. It's much easier for me to go deep with ket than acid. I have no fear with ket. It's better to start with small bumps to discover the drug and how you react to it.

About the first - psychedelic - part above:

Titrating your dosage is always good and having these heavy ego loss effects does agree with the idea that you may be very sensitive and essentially overdosing. Trying a very low dosage and working your way up is the way to go anyway, for most people with a more typical sensitivity there may be less confusion about how heavy they are actually dosing. Light dosages can be a bit uncomfortable and feel like you only have one foot in the door, but they should also be much more of a doable challenge to overcome your feelings of dealing with loss of control and other issues.
Other than that a more nuanced way to consider whether tripping is for everyone is to consider how much work you are willing to put in to make it work if you aren't the most natural tripper of all time. If you are motivated to overcome some existential or emotional struggles and can actually work on them, preferably with some direct or indirect guidance to help you progress, it could be worth it but if you just feel like shit and don't know where to start even if you take very light dosages then I think it would discourage most all people.

About the dissociatives:

In my experience because of how they remove you from your sense of self and feelings, instead of shoving those things in your face like many psychedelics do, disso's tend to be much less threatening. However for the part that you are still aware of things going into it or reintegrating afterwards, it can be frightening and more than that: plain disconcerting.

K is less of a commitment in my opinion and you can easily try small dosages and work your way up. At lower dosages, the effects can in part be markedly different than at high dosages (reminding me of the differences between R and S ket). At low dosages / bumps it can be a little stimulating and euphoric and not really all that foreshadowing in terms of dissociation. The deeper you go, the more disjointed it tends to get and the less human it tends to feel if you even remember that you are one or that humans exist. It's also kind of safe and contained though and various types of discomfort don't seem to exist in a deeply dissociated state or they aren't relevant.
If there's some horror to be had it is usually in the existential or sanity flavor.

At the very least, how you respond to K could tell you something about what is wrong: if you freak out about K more than usual from trying it gradually but properly that would seem to suggest more about a general anxiety over the loss of control from loss of a clear mind. But if it is very different then it could point more in the direction of sensitivity to psychedelics since there should be no connection between sensitivity to psychedelics like acid and sensitivity to ketamine unless it is a psychological thing rather than physiological.

Thank you for the reply, I will most likely try K before I end up trying acid again, should be within the next few weeks.