Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Am I Ready for SHROOMS?

messesb52

Greenlighter
Hey guys!
I've been working on getting a shrooms trip happening for several months and have one final precaution to address before I go for it. So, I've been taking s a small amount (50 mg) of an SSRI called luvox for a long time (5 years or so)... my parents put me on it when i was young for no apparent reason other than to counter any negative side effects possibly produced by putting me on adderall. Anyways, I can assure you that I don't have any anxiety/depression disorders and never have had in my life. As a result, I started tapering off the luvox about 2 weeks ago, didn't notice any negative side effects, and quit cold turkey after a couple days of tapering. I know this isn't the most intelligent way to get off an SSRI, but it's been over a week since I last took any luvox, and I haven't noticed any significant changes in mood or any other apparent side effects. I feel fine. Do you guys think it's safe to go ahead and trip? The luvox is definitely out of my system by now (it has a very short half life), but I am just unsure if any potential imbalances that may exist in my brain regarding seratonin from quitting the luvox might pose an issue? As I said, I feel fine but don't want to take any risks that aren't worth taking. I've heard about seratonin syndrome, and honestly don't fully understand it, but would this be a risk in my situation? Thanks for reading guys... any advice would be appreciated! Peace and thanks again.

Hey, normally I'd suggest someone to not go off antidepressants without being in agreement with their doctor/psychiatrist/etc, but it sounds like in your case it's best that you do, so that's good. I'm glad you're not experiencing any issues there. I'm not sure how long it will stay in your system but perhaps someone else does. But, I can say that there is no risk of serotonin syndrome with classical psychedelics like mushrooms and SSRIs, instead SSRIs make it difficult for most people to trip, because they dampen the effects significantly. The danger of serotonin syndrome is with SSRIs and serotonin releasers like MDMA.

hey thanks for the response man! I have actually talked to my doctor on several occasions about getting off the SSRI, and he has given me the go ahead to do so... but the only thing that has stopped me in the past is the fear of the nasty side effects that may result. This time, I have really committed to it and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of side effects I have experienced thus far. Thanks again for your input!

Yeah i think you should be ready for shrooms, just go into the experience positively and don't worry that there may be something wrong in your brain. You sound confident so just go for it, Good luck and have fun with your first proper shroom trip. :)