• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Am I hypocritcal for being on the fence?

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
First off this isn't a post attempting to offend anyone, but I guess the question is am I being a hypocrite for being on the fence as far as religion? Sometimes I feel like I should convert to Christianity (to help be a better person) and other times I literally feel like Satan himself. Probably a gift of being bipolar. Either way, I'm a spiritual person but I've never subscribed to any one religion. I just honestly feel extremely conflicted at times. Thought?

Not at all. I don't think there is anything wrong wih being undecided on these matters.

Putting any of my own views aside, i think certainty in religious or spiritual matters can be a sign of wisdom rather than any sort of hypocrisy.

You know what dude? As much as I probably will never agree on anything else with you that was a good post.

Thanks. We dont need to agree about everything - nor do we need to disagree about everything.

I don't think you are hypocritical at all. Finding your own truth is utilizing your abilities to think! There isn't a rule that says you have to follow a particular religion to be a good person. Why do you think you are Satan himself?

Im not sure I understand the question. How is it being a hypocrite when you are indeterminate of a religion? Is it the "feeling" like Satan part when you ponder about becoming a Christian? What do you mean you feel like Satan? You may be a hypocrite in the sense if you adopt the tenants of Satanism whilst labeling yourself a Christian, but a "feeling" of being Satan, whatever that means, is really not sufficient to say you are a hypocrite. I suppose if you're looking for congruency you may want to look into joining the church of Satan, I suppose.

I think we all know how to be better people, we just don't usually listen to our own best judgment. You don't have to be a Christian to know that the words ascribed to Jesus, "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you", are probably one of the best prescriptions for living our species has ever come up with. As far as "feeling like Satan", I'm assuming that you mean you sometimes act selfishly and in your own interests at a cost to others. Who among us does not do that? Making peace with your own flawed humanity is the best way to find compassion for others as well as for yourself. As far as I have witnessed in my own life, it is a very small percentage of people that actually draw moral fortitude from the religions they identify with. Being a better person, whether you choose to use the structure of a particular religion or not, comes from the true desire to be a better person; and then honestly and humbly working on it.

nutty, in what sense would being undecided or unsure about religion be considered hypocrisy?

i echo herbavore - spirituality and doing what's 'right' are (not necessarily) dependent on adherence to a formal religion.

alasdair

First off this isn't a post attempting to offend anyone, but I guess the question is am I being a hypocrite for being on the fence as far as religion? Sometimes I feel like I should convert to Christianity (to help be a better person) and other times I literally feel like Satan himself. Probably a gift of being bipolar. Either way, I'm a spiritual person but I've never subscribed to any one religion. I just honestly feel extremely conflicted at times. Thought?

I don't think you are a hypocrite but I think you might be mistaken if you think converting to Christianity will make you a better person. Really, you should only adopt a religion that speaks to your heart, not one that nullifies your freefloating guilt. You don't need to be approved by mainstream society to be a good person.

There is spirituality in Christianity. Heck, there is even spirituality in Satanism. If you become a Christian you get the lifestyle that comes with it. Church on Sundays, a belief structure, bakesales and whatnot. Your spirituality can have a focus and a discipline and a way of doing things. A totally valid life choice and not one that is irreversible. Can help a person lead a more wholesome life and not to put words in your mouth but sounds like that is what you are looking for. There is no right or wrong decision here. What you value grows and there is a lot of growth potential in Christianity.

I don't think you are hypocritical at all. Finding your own truth is utilizing your abilities to think! There isn't a rule that says you have to follow a particular religion to be a good person. Why do you think you are Satan himself?

I don't literally think that, I just feel like I'm pulled between trying to do good and evil at times.

Im not sure I understand the question. How is it being a hypocrite when you are indeterminate of a religion?

Because I feel like I go back and forth with it. Sometimes I feel that I have more in common with Christianity, other times more with paganism or agnosticism. Maybe not so much hypocritical as conflicted, but to me to be on the fence about it is kind of hypocritical.

Is it the "feeling" like Satan part when you ponder about becoming a Christian? What do you mean you feel like Satan? You may be a hypocrite in the sense if you adopt the tenants of Satanism whilst labeling yourself a Christian, but a "feeling" of being Satan, whatever that means, is really not sufficient to say you are a hypocrite. I suppose if you're looking for congruency you may want to look into joining the church of Satan, I suppose.

No lol, I'm not a satanist. I have nothing in common with any of that. I just meant feeling like a bad person. Satan's from the bible anyways, but that's probably something for a different thread.

I think we all know how to be better people, we just don't usually listen to our own best judgment. You don't have to be a Christian to know that the words ascribed to Jesus, "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you", are probably one of the best prescriptions for living our species has ever come up with. As far as "feeling like Satan", I'm assuming that you mean you sometimes act selfishly and in your own interests at a cost to others.

Bingo... Quite often really.

Who among us does not do that?

Probably everyone once in a while, sometimes I just feel that that's all I do. The joys of addiction and being bipolar I guess.

Making peace with your own flawed humanity is the best way to find compassion for others as well as for yourself. As far as I have witnessed in my own life, it is a very small percentage of people that actually draw moral fortitude from the religions they identify with. Being a better person, whether you choose to use the structure of a particular religion or not, comes from the true desire to be a better person; and then honestly and humbly working on it.

I agree, but maybe some people need that structure? I don't know.

nutty, in what sense would being undecided or unsure about religion be considered hypocrisy?

Because sometimes I feel that it's not something you should be on the fence about. Black and white thinking maybe, but I certainly wouldn't want to go through my whole life trying to decide.

I don't think you are a hypocrite but I think you might be mistaken if you think converting to Christianity will make you a better person. Really, you should only adopt a religion that speaks to your heart, not one that nullifies your freefloating guilt. You don't need to be approved by mainstream society to be a good person.

I agree, but again I sometimes think religion helps give people structure or the tools to be better people. Of course it has also caused tons of bad shit too. Like Jesus seemed like a good person... He was hanging out with prostitutes and lepers and helping people, but on the other hand look at all the atrocities committed in the name of Christianity or really any other mainstream religion at that. It's all pretty confusing. 8(

There is spirituality in Christianity. Heck, there is even spirituality in Satanism. If you become a Christian you get the lifestyle that comes with it. Church on Sundays, a belief structure, bakesales and whatnot. Your spirituality can have a focus and a discipline and a way of doing things. A totally valid life choice and not one that is irreversible. Can help a person lead a more wholesome life and not to put words in your mouth but sounds like that is what you are looking for. There is no right or wrong decision here. What you value grows and there is a lot of growth potential in Christianity.

I get what you're saying, although I don't think you have to go to church to consider yourself a christian. And not to be negative or offend anyone, but I'm sure some of the biggest hypocrites are some of the people that go to church. That's not for me to really judge, but I definitely don't think any religion should be shoved down people's throats. Anyways, I'm just rambling now...

Last edited: