TDS Am I An Alcoholic? Becoming One Perhaps?

LandsUnknown

Bluelighter
I drink every night, and when I don't have anything at night I get pretty bummed out about it. In fact, there hasn't been a night I didn't have at least one or a couple drinks/beers in a few months. I find alcohol is an excellent stress reliever for me, and when I drink or am drunk my anxiety is zero when normally I'm anxious and have bad OCD. I sometimes stop after like 2-3 beers, even one occasionally. However, I often will like to drink much more. Sometimes, I'll drink like a six pack or so of strong beers when I go out. The weird thing is I never really seem to get all that drunk, but I used to get drunk fairly easily. I feel like my tolerance is much higher than it used to be. My thinks I either am one or am on my way to becoming one. I used to think she was just needling me, but now I am beginning to think I actually might be :? Does it sound like I am?

If you're not one now you are on your way of becoming one. An increase in tolerance is a big indicator that it is becoming problematic. Aside from feeling bummed, do you feel anything else if you don't drink? Do you receive therapy for your mental health symptoms? If you don't, consider scheduling an appointment and discussing your OCD and drinking with them. Self medicating with drugs and alcohol to deal with stress and anxiety is very dangerous and tends to end very badly. Therapy can teach you healthy coping mechanisms.

Last edited:
Your an alcoholic. No doubt about it man. The fact that you use for ocd. Which it may not even be real ocd your talking aobut? Real ocd is a serious brain dissorder that drives people completely mad. Ocd about fussing over shit a lot as a part of your personality is a different thing. Yeah just the whole self medicating thing. For me. When I tried opiates I was like they relieve my anxiety and depression. That was huge for me even though I knew I was on a dark path. I just didn't quite get the full grasp of quite how dark at the time. Alcohol is a really serious drug to get addicted to man.

Last edited:
I'd say you are becoming an alcoholic. But it's a good thing you are getting to relize that before it's too late. M8, try to moderate your use if not stop completely. Feeling anxious and stressfull every day is a terrible situation, but being an alcoholic is even worst. If I were you, I'd limit my drinking to once every third day or something, and see a doc to help me with depression and anxienty.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll just drink like one to two (or three if it's lower alcohol stuff) on a usual night....... and then only splurge like someone else said twice a week. Although, I definitely shouldn't get completely smashed more than once a week though. That's obviously not good health wise 8( Although, I've been doing it anyways too much these days even though I should definitely know better.

Alcoholism is very progressive. Over time I think you will find a small amount of alcohol is a tease and does nothing for you so you will increase the number of drinks you hve to get the dopamine release. What you are planning is not sustainable and will not help you be less of an alcoholic. On the nights you allow yourself extra you will likely binge which is an issue in itself, and is much more detrimental than regular daily drinking. I was an alcoholic for 17 years beginning in my teens. I am also clinically OCD. Trust me when I say this is only going to make everything worse. I am familiar with your other threads, including the ones that you have deleted and know for certain that you self medicating with booze is only going to make those issues worse as well. Please don't do this to yourself, you deserve better than an alcoholic life. Please consider therapy.

from one boozer to another if you have to ask yourself if youre an alcoholic then....yeah man you are
lucky thing is your intake of alcohol isnt that bad but tolerance will build up pretty soon, youre gonna need more and more to feel anything ive been through that shit myself

another good thing is you can make a choice to quit or to leave the drinking for the weekends any days you have sober is less stress on your body
trust me sooner or later your body will respond to the booze and it isnt gonna be pretty

in the mean time make sure you keep with your vitamins as daily boozing can def wreck havoc on your vitamin levels suggest some b12, folic acid and b1 if you can take a multivitamin thats even better and stay hydrated

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll just drink like one to two (or three if it's lower alcohol stuff) on a usual night....... and then only splurge like someone else said twice a week. Although, I definitely shouldn't get completely smashed more than once a week though. That's obviously not good health wise 8( Although, I've been doing it anyways too much these days even though I should definitely know better.

I think you should spent some days without a single drink if you wanna have any posibilities not to be completely adicted. If you drink every day, even a little, you will gradually build a tolerance and you will start hating sobriety even more than you hate it now.

I think you should spent some days without a single drink if you wanna have any posibilities not to be completely adicted. If you drink every day, even a little, you will gradually build a tolerance and you will start hating sobriety even more than you hate it now.

I agree. I'm thinking of taking some time off from it for a while. If I find that it's really difficult...... then I guess I really do have a problem. I'm not making any permanent declaration that I'm not drinking anymore, just that I definitely need to take some time off and should have some days each week where I don't drink.

That is a great step to take. There really is no reason to project into the rest of your life. Just honestly recognize that this is a problem for you and you want to change it. The crux of the dependence is why you turn to it. Is it for comfort, is it to turn your mind off or to avoid uncomfortable feelings or overthinking things/anxiety? Really explore what it gives you. Then you can try to address having those needs met in healthier ways.

I drink every night, and when I don't have anything at night I get pretty bummed out about it. In fact, there hasn't been a night I didn't have at least one or a couple drinks/beers in a few months. I find alcohol is an excellent stress reliever for me, and when I drink or am drunk my anxiety is zero when normally I'm anxious and have bad OCD. I sometimes stop after like 2-3 beers, even one occasionally. However, I often will like to drink much more. Sometimes, I'll drink like a six pack or so of strong beers when I go out. The weird thing is I never really seem to get all that drunk, but I used to get drunk fairly easily. I feel like my tolerance is much higher than it used to be. My thinks I either am one or am on my way to becoming one. I used to think she was just needling me, but now I am beginning to think I actually might be :? Does it sound like I am?
Sounds like alcohol dependence. It's time to seek outpatient treatment imho. If it were not for the OCD, I think you could do it yourself, but OCD will make it very hard to transition back to sobriety.