• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Am I Allergic to Opiates?

Z

ZuuL

Hey there all. I have been dabbling on and off with opis for some years now. A bit of everything - oxycodone, heroin, fentanyl analogues, etc.

I seem to aways have very strong itches when I take opis. To the point it sometimes ruins the highs. Have tried taking antihistamines but don't help too much.

Recently, i've been quite unpleasantly nauseous for a long time with them too. The time before yesterday, I had some acetyl-fent. I foolishly was using it without proper scales, but my many years measuring doses 10-20mg justified it (note - this is retarded always use scales for tiny opiates especially, please do as I say not as I do ;P). I ended up sniffing a reasonable amount and just felt absolutely fucking awful. Proper nauseous and just shitty. I'm not sure if I felt high because of how busy I was feeling like shit. But assumed I had just taken too much.

Last night I got about 0.25 of decent #3 heroin. Had some fun, sniffed some, smoked some. I was rather quite itchy at this point but it was tolerable, 2-3 loratadines I always take at the beginning (though I queston how well they work). However, some time after sniffing another small line I began to feel just fucking awful again. Ended up staying up all night on the verge of retching, occasionally passing out briefly. Was texting with a friend throughout most of the time though, and eventually let myself fall asleep perhaps 4-6 hours since I last doses. Woke up this morning and vomited first thing, my skin burning with itch. Feel better now.

I wonder if I just took too much, or if perhaps i'm allergic too. Though I seem to get the intense itching on various types of drugs, oxycodone, fent, heroin, which all have fairly different structures (and thus antibodies).

TL:DR - I get very stupidly itchy when taking opiates. The last 2 times I took them, they outright made me vomit/want to vomit for several hours after the last 2 occasions I did them. Is an allergy involved?

You aren't allergic to opiates - histamine release (and thus itching) is a side-effect of opiates unrelated to your antibodies.

itching is normal i get that way sometimes when i take Vicodin
an allergic reaction trust me the day you get an allergic reaction you'll know it
i took penicillin once crazy huge hives all over my body and face took 2 trips to the ER and i had to get multiple shots of benadryl

its totally normal and its not an allergic reaction

Sounds to me like you're taking too much. Try less, and less frequently (don't re-dose unless you're not high and feeling fine.) Try 50-mg benadryl if you haven't, seems a better antihistamine for opioid related itchiness in my experiences.

You're maybe thinking, wtf about me proposing you're doing too much, but that's what it really seems like reading your description. If you disagree, please explain why... I'm always up to learn about others experiences that contradict advice I give, 'cause I ain't always correct.

Sounds to me like you're taking too much. Try less, and less frequently (don't re-dose unless you're not high and feeling fine.) Try 50-mg benadryl if you haven't, seems a better antihistamine for opioid related itchiness in my experiences.

You're maybe thinking, wtf about me proposing you're doing too much, but that's what it really seems like reading your description. If you disagree, please explain why... I'm always up to learn about others experiences that contradict advice I give, 'cause I ain't always correct.

This. Especially because OP mentioned the nausea. lol, once again I have nothing to add to your post.

I feel obliged to say...run. Run while you still can; believe me. Just go with being allergic. It's possible. Morphine and codeine allergies are actually some of the most common drug allergies in existance anyways. Most other opioids are either nearly identical to their general structure with only tiny changes/substitutions here and there. The ones that are entirely synthetic and have opioid activity are acyclic analogues which bind the receptors to give opiate effects, yet are nothing like the shape recognized by your immune system and targeted. Keep in mind however that these synthetics tend to be much stronger than the natural opiates found in or derived from the poppy. They include fentanyl, methadone and loperamide (which doesn't cross the BBB in appreciable amounts on its own).

i feel obliged to say...run. Run while you still can; believe me. Just go with being allergic. It's possible. Morphine and codeine allergies are actually some of the most common drug allergies in existance anyways. Most other opioids are either nearly identical to their general structure with only tiny changes/substitutions here and there. The ones that are entirely synthetic and have opioid activity are acyclic analogues which bind the receptors to give opiate effects, yet are nothing like the shape recognized by your immune system and targeted. Keep in mind however that these synthetics tend to be much stronger than the natural opiates found in or derived from the poppy. They include fentanyl, methadone and loperamide (which doesn't cross the bbb in appreciable amounts on its own).

qft

I've been doing opi's for years and yes a general itch has alway been present for me but in high enough doses the line of pleasant body tingly itchyness has crossed into oh my god this a fucking ordeal and now I'm waiting for it stop. That's never been enough to stop me but if it is for you then like has already been said, run, it's not worth having an addiction in the first place but one you dont even enjoy, get out while you can.

Yup, I concur with everyone else. Some opiates are more itchy then others but all of them does this for a while (when it fades away it is a very bad sign, you should quit if you can cause it means your tolerance is increasing). Actually I am unsure if it stops itching before or after it's too late. I know I havent itch in long while and I use daily.

Nausea is also a common side effect of opiate. Best course of action for you is to really limit yourself in your usage. Or stop altogether. It is always a risky path.

I am allergic to codeine and its derivatives. However, I am not allergic to the morphine and the thebaine derivatives. I don't like the thebaines like oxycodone, but the morphine ones really grabbed ahold of me and did not let go. It is possible to be allergic to one of the three main alkaloids in the poppy without being allergic to the others.

I had to wear a medic alert bracelet as a kid in case I was injured so they wouldn't give me codeine. It would cause the site of administration to swell uncontrollably and cause me to vomit uncontrollably. Hives everywhere. If you experience this from an opiate do not continue to take it and don't just go the hospital !!call an ambulance!! your life is at stake.

I will also parrot what others have said. Itchiness is a side effect of opiate use. You either love it or you don't. I loved it...however it always gave me away. Stop while you have the chance because the addiction and dependence to opiates is an extremely horrible lifestyle...and due to diminishing returns...that high you sought after will be increasingly difficult to find.

I get the nausea and vomiting from opioids both synthetic and natural, even in medically therapeutic doses. I have to take anti-emetic medications in order to tolerate those doses.

In order to reach blood levels of opoids that provide euphoria and other pleasant effects, i have to increase anti-emetic cover accordingly. I have found Zofran and Phenergan to be the most effective in covering the nausea and vomiting,which are severe enough that for the most part they have kept me from abusing opiates.

I also get what used to be called "Junkies' itch" from opiods. The best med for that that I've found is hydoxyzine; an old fashioned, first line antihistamine. You want to be careful with this med as it has a potentiating effect on many drugs.

I've tried heroin twice,both times in the 70's, once by smoking and once by snorting. in both cases, I used phenergan to control the vomiting and found it to be effective. I also found out that I enjoyed the rush and euphoria from heroin so much that the drug frightened me, and haven't touched it since. It's the one drug I experimented with in the 70's, out of the wide variety available then, that I could easily see myself becoming addicted to.

Be aware that Phenergan and Compazine are actually first generation anti-psychotic medications and themselves can have nasty side-effects if used to frequent excess. Read up on and follow dosing directions if using these meds.