• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Am I addicted to hydromorphone?

Lumatic

Greenlighter
I recently found a bottle of 100 4mg hydromorphone pills under my parents bed since they are pharamacists. I've been taking some every 2-3 days for about 3 weeks and have built a tolerance of around 10mg. I recently tried to stop but then felt really depressed and sick, am I addicted? I also have 70 pills left can I use them to slowly taper off?

[May 16 2018]
edit part 1:

Hi everybody im back after year.I accidentally ran across this thread without realizing it was me until I checked the name haha. its been a long road hard road but im finally clean now. I just have some things to explain. My parents are one of the most honest people Ik. They had it under the bed inside the medication box, that they were using to move everything to the new pharmacy they bought so nothing illegal there lol.

[May 16 2018]
Edit part 2:

I just wanna tell people my story in case someone is in a similar situation.I was a naive and retarded 15-16 year old looking to get high. Like most people It all started with a relatives meds. In the med box was hydromorphone I did some research and found out its opioid(I knew what they were from my schools anti-drug program the fucking irony right). Also inside inside the box was 50 OxyContin 20mg, a sealed bottle of probably 1k worth of straight morphine powder and 100 1mg pills of xanax (also sealed) so I took Everything.

[May 16 2018]
Final edit:

At this point only things left were morphine and Xanax. I had been using the morphine for a while till I nearly died as it was 100% pure and I didnt even bother to weight it. At this point my family was going on vacation to Disney world and I decided it was the perfect opportunity to get clean. So I left everything at home. Anyways worst experience of my life ? 6 hours in; while waiting in the airport I had super serious cravings and withdrawal from the Xanax started kicking in. About 12 hours in on the plane I started sweating heavily and aching badly. Anyways when we got there i couldnt take the pain so I told my parents about everying and they snapped at me and got seriously angry and worried. So they went to a local pharmacy and got some medication that would help (muscle relaxers, anti-diarrheals, cold medication, NyQuil etc). So I spent the worst 14 days of my life at Disney; not able to move or get out of bed while my my parents and sisters had fun, guess I deserved it tho lmao. Anyways since then iv been going to therapy and taking kratom for the cravings and 0.5mg of clonazepam daily as prescribed.

Last edited:
Dilaudid will bind to your receptors extremely fast. Your brain is becoming dependent.
IMO - if you are 3 weeks in, I wouldn't bother with a taper as it will just increase your dependence. Just stop. I have been in your situation with those pills before, I had about 3 crappy nights. I stayed busy. You will feel shitty for a few days, but stopping now is the best thing you could do for yourself.

^good advice.

Dilaudid is very short acting so tapering with it would not be very effective. You've only consumed 30 pills so you're not hardcore addicted yet, though you'll feel some discomfort when you quit. Now will be the easiest time. If you can find some cannabis or gabapentin/Valium that would help.

I'm VERY confused here, your parents are Pharmacists, ok? What are they doing with 100 of one of the most potent Narcotics on the market? Lol
You mention they're Pharmacists, not severely injured or have severe chronic pain.. Sounds to me your parents are thieves lol

Anyway, you are no where near to have some very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms..
First of all, you were taking them every few days.
Second, Dilaudid/Hydromorphone is a VERY short acting Opiate, meaning it has a very small half life of just a couple hours. So the Dilaudid/Hydromorphone was already out of your system every time you used.
Also, you used a total of just 30 pills, and you want to TAPER yourself off with 70 pills!?

You're not going to go in withdrawal, at the very most, you'll have cravings to use more, that's about it.
You'll be fine.

You need to recognize the difference between physically dependant and addicted. Physically dependant means you get withdrawals when you discontinue. Addiction is when you can't stop due to withdrawals or a craving for the drugs effect.

You are using a high dose thigh (8 mg is the highest immediate release dose and 32 mg highest sustained released I believe). It would be worse if you were using them nasally, but orally you should not have a big issue. Drop the dose one pill a time until you're down to zero pills or cold turkey. The withdrawals shouldn't be severe, but if you want to reduce the severity even more follow my ween plan to reduce by one pill at a time.

Yeah i agree def quit while you can. 30 pills isnt much not to patronize you or anything. Ive been on all opiates for all my problems and 2.5 yrs ago i had my colon removed they had me on a iv dolaudid pump ever since life has cjanged. Im on 8mg every 4 hrs day and night so physical dependence is in the books but mentally i dont get rush off like i used to dilaudid is strong but oral bio is very low so i started iv'ing myself last year. I was able to stop and still stay on it and take it right but without it i get horribly sick for at least a week. You wont get it that bad but it will suck but please do it whike you can. Good luck:)

Yaaa.... why your parents have 100 pills? Being pharmacists doesn't justify that rofl in fact makes it worse

I'm VERY confused here, your parents are Pharmacists, ok? What are they doing with 100 of one of the most potent Narcotics on the market? Lol
You mention they're Pharmacists, not severely injured or have severe chronic pain.. Sounds to me your parents are thieves lol

Anyway, you are no where near to have some very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms..
First of all, you were taking them every few days.
Second, Dilaudid/Hydromorphone is a VERY short acting Opiate, meaning it has a very small half life of just a couple hours. So the Dilaudid/Hydromorphone was already out of your system every time you used.
Also, you used a total of just 30 pills, and you want to TAPER yourself off with 70 pills!?

You're not going to go in withdrawal, at the very most, you'll have cravings to use more, that's about it.
You'll be fine.
This.
Lol and yeah why do your pharmacist parents have 100 dillys? I won't tell lol

Yea I beleive it's all an "addiction" mindset (as put before) if you have never been physically dependent before on opiates then 3 weeks on and off should NOT cause physical dependency. .... more a mental game going on here

Pretty much any opioid/opiate when taken over 3 or more days consecutively will leave you physically dependent to an extent.
Trying to stop use for a period of time to no avail is where the blurred line between "dependent" and "addicted" lies.

It could even be as simple as catching the flu and the marginally lowered immune system that comes with stopping a short light binge like that, and those periods coinciding.

Others in this thread are being highly condescending, as if having some insane tolerance and junkie "knowledge" of getting high / how to get high on opiates is something to be cherished and treasured.

What I have to say to you is that just stay away from taking any more pills, sometimes it can be a trigger for anxiety even short usage and stopping like that, could be a cause for your anxiety. Just get plenty of rest and water and remember you feel this way directly as a result of abusing medication that was not yours in the first place.

70 is a very large amount of pills..... As others said just stop taking them as you'll likely screw up and just start taking more and more of them thinking you have enough time to get high one more time. If anything stop for a month and use them no more than 2 days in a row after the month is completed. Never go past nasal use as once you pick up a needle your life will be destroyed. If anything plug it my mixing it with water and using a lubricated oral syringe to squirt it up your rectum after getting it pushed past the sphincter. Although as I said give it a month before going on these two days binges with another 6-8 days in between them... You might become mentally addicted still and crave the high, which at that point you might stop caring about physical dependancy risk because you want to get high and at that point you'll start developing a serrious physical dependancy with acute withdrawals from mild flu line symptoms to severe flu+cold+Niro virus all at once (doctors usually say it's influenza like symptoms)followed by post acute withdrawals after lasting a month or longer of depression, fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, and more. Even if you're careful with your use to you will likely run into rebound issues that are acute withdrawal like symptoms without the nightmare of post acute withdrawals.... You never want to develop PAWS as it can make acute withdrawals look like a cake walk in comparison just due to the long lasting symptoms of post acute withdrawal symptoms (PAWS) vs the couple days of acute withdrawal symptoms (AWS)

Dude, put it down now. I know you're convincing yourself that you're not after the buzz... But you are. We're all are. That shit will suck you into a hopeless hole so fast it'll make your head spin. Three weeks... You're well on your way.

I suggest you put it down, feel a little crappy for a few days, or continue and likely ruin your life.

I'm clean 4 months from hydromorphone. I still stifle daily

Dilaudid will bind to your receptors extremely fast. Your brain is becoming dependent.
IMO - if you are 3 weeks in, I wouldn't bother with a taper as it will just increase your dependence. Just stop. I have been in your situation with those pills before, I had about 3 crappy nights. I stayed busy. You will feel shitty for a few days, but stopping now is the best thing you could do for yourself.
Yeah save three for emergencies, like serious pain shit emergencies, and either hide that shit or give them to a trusted friend

^Huh? Did you not read the OP? He said he found them under his parents bed. So the best place to put them would be back wherever he found them. Perhaps to visit a doctor if there is "serious pain or emergencies".

I recently found a bottle of 100 4mg hydromorphone pills under my parents bed since they are pharamacists.
one of my siblings is a pharmacist and that is definitely not allowed... def a federal crime ( just got out of federal prison, and there were lots of doctors and pharmacists there for doing things exzactly like that)... and why would they keep it under their bed?

3 weeks could be enough to cause rebound symptoms at the dose you are taking. These would include sleep disturbances, being somewhat more anxious. Sensitivity to caffeine. Tempature sensativity. This could last for a few days. Very mild.

^It's really no Biggy. Psychologically it damn sure feels like it though, especially at that age and never having been through it before. Nobody's said this yet, but op, you made a big mistake taking those pills from your parents. If you took from their work area/safe, they will notice nd you will be in gigantic trouble. Think, rehab, perhaps even charges brought upon you (these will most likely be dropped due to your age but say bye bye to any special type of activities or fun if(when) they find out.