View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Aluminum and mescaline extraction

Aquatic Wombat

Greenlighter
Is there a chemical reaction between the alkaloids and aluminum? I was planning on using my new All American cast aluminum pressure cooker that I got for mycological sterilization to make a tea. I suppose that I can do it in a pot inside the pressure cooker.

I'd stay away of aluminum cookware when doing any extractions and even in general. Especially if it's not an anodized aluminum, but rather cast one, which is just a block of aluminum. Get a good stainless steel with thick walls, its pricey but you will thank yourself later! ;)

The reaction isn't with the alkaloids but with corroding acids that may be used during extractions...

Fuck aluminum. Use steel or glass or whatever.

^What solipsis said.

What route are you going with the extraction? Stainless steel is fine with lye but concentrated acid might be a problem. I would avoid aluminum at any cost.

This is borrowed from Tchort & the case studies thread but the point is the same:

New England Journal Of Medicine:

Aluminum Toxicity Due to Intravenous Injection of Boiled Methadone [Methadone syrup / oral concentrate / take home doses-T]

A 42-year-old man who was in rehabilitation for intravenous substance abuse presented with a three-month history of seizures and incoordination. Other symptoms included dysarthria, a hesitant pattern of speech, myoclonic jerks, postural tremor, emotional lability, and fluctuating short-term memory. On questioning he admitted that for four years he had been concentrating his methadone preparation, which was diluted with a grape-flavored drink, by heating it in an uncoated aluminum pot. He would then reconstitute the residue for intravenous injection. His serum aluminum level was 6650 nmol per liter (reference interval, <400).
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/354/11/1210

Maybe if you are injecting caramellized grape flavor soda with methadone the aluminum isn't your problem

But yeah the carbonic acid may very well have been the reason any aluminum was even eroded... even if you're just cooking and not putting the product in your veins, if it's way acidic avoid the aluminum indeed.

Can you imagine that "questioning" though? Eh sir, do you use grape soda to cook up - That's racist man!! but well yeah of course what else

Glad I have a big stainless steel pot now, will get that cast iron shit in due time

I just got the fucker. I got it because of the capacity, 15.5 quart, and because it doesn't have gaskets. I need to see if I can return it or maybe just do a stainless pot inside the larger aluminum one. I'm about to sterilize liquid for a mycelium culture as well as some PF cakes, then make my San Pedro tea for tomorrow.

Last edited:
well definitely do not do anything strongly basic in an aluminium container. it will form aluminium hydroxide and hydrogen gas. as for the acidic extraction I am not sure. technically you can oxidize Al with acids but I doubt that much of that will happen at pH 3. And when you extract with an organic solvent after basifying, next to no ionic compounds will migrate anyway, and to be sure, you can even wash your organic phase with brine to get it all out.

you could test it this way: boil some acidic water in the pot, transfer that to a glass container and bring it to pH 14 with NaOH. If there were any real amounts of aluminium in the water, they should​ precipitate out because aluminium hydroxide isn't soluble much in water.

ps solid aluminium metall is covered by a passivating oxide layer anyway. so in mildly acidic conditions I really think it should be fine.