• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alpha2 Agonists and Amphetamine

Metamphnethylamine

Greenlighter
I'm wondering what effect guanfacine has on dopamine levels/release. I'm prescribed amphetamine and guanfacine for ADHD, and have read one study indicating that use of METHamphetamine with an alpha2 adrenergic agonist increases dopamine depletion. Would this effect also happen with amphetamine? The study claims no more depletion of dopamine than METHamphetamine alone if guanfacine is taken 12 hours after the METHamphetamine.

I have also received some prolintane (99.4% pure) from an online vendor and have found that prolintane alone works wonders for focus and concentration around 30-40mg dosage. Since prolintane is believed to be an NDRI, would guanfacine affect it's activity?

J Neurochem. 2004 Feb;88(4):1003-9.
(Study on alpha2 receptors' role in NA and DA release)

Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1998 May 30;844:166-77.
(Study on interaction between alpha2 receptor mediated DA depletion with Methampetamine)

Hoping someone with more background in neuroscience can apply these findings to what effects they would actually have on daily ADHD med usage. Any help would be profoundly appreciated!
Thank you

(Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, please move to appropriate location if so)

Any ideas?

I read somewhere that guanfacine and amphetamine can cause some nasty cardiac effects...but no complications have been reported if the subject is amphetamine tolerant when guanfacine is started. Interesting to say the least. I found this info by typing "amphetamine and guanfaine" into a very popular search engibe..one of the first 10 links. Sorry for not citing am currently out and about.

My mood has taken a hit when using both medications..leading me to believe guanfacine exacerbates dopamine depletion. Could just be life. Idk and I'm hoping for some info though I realize it is kind of a specific area of interest. Peace of mind I suppose is what I'm after before I go full ocd and waste days trying to figure it out through literature.