• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Alpha 1 Adrenergic Agonist ( comfort med?

aspiringchemist

Bluelighter
Are Alpha 1 Adrenergic Agonist compounds appropriate to use for potentiation of opioids or to ease stimulant comedown in a similar manner to the Alpha 2 Adrenergic Agonist compounds? i.e. tizanidine, clonidine etc.

The Alpha 1 Agonist I have at my disposal is Prazosin, in both 1mg and 2mg capsules. I understand Alpha 1 Agonists also act to dampen norepinephrine release, so theoretically it would provide assistance I think...

Thinking about something like 25mg hydrocodone, 10mg diazepam (both of which I do nightly), and adding in some prazosin if any benefit is to be had.

I'm very experienced with mixing sedatives and opioids (not that I recommend it). I know my tolerance.

Thanks!

Are Alpha 1 Adrenergic Agonist compounds appropriate to use for potentiation of opioids or to ease stimulant comedown in a similar manner to the Alpha 2 Adrenergic Agonist compounds? i.e. tizanidine, clonidine etc.

The Alpha 1 Agonist I have at my disposal is Prazosin, in both 1mg and 2mg capsules. I understand Alpha 1 Agonists also act to dampen norepinephrine release, so theoretically it would provide assistance I think...

Thinking about something like 25mg hydrocodone, 10mg diazepam (both of which I do nightly), and adding in some prazosin if any benefit is to be had.

I'm very experienced with mixing sedatives and opioids (not that I recommend it). I know my tolerance.

Thanks!
Man idk, for harm reduction's sake just stick with ur hydro+diaz combo. Don't try to push your tolerance, ik ur experienced with downers but don't try to add more substances in the mix, It's these kinda things that kill people ACCIDENTALLY all the time cough cough*.Just enjoy ur hydro with diazepam, isn't that enough for you?I'm pretty content when i do clonaz/alpraz and morphine, i don't need anything more.Always keep in mind that you're not superman, your body is a temple and you should take care of it, Even tho doing drugs is harming ur body, try not to add more damage to the mix.Stay safe NZN

I think "Enough" is a relative term. For some people the mentioned dosages would hardly stave off withdrawal, but I understand your point. Man, I'd way rather have some ms contin or ir morphine tablets than hydrocodone.

I appreciate the recommendation to be cautious. I did not use prazosin last night.

I am still curious about the general question of the utility of Alpha 1 agonists. Alpha 2 agonists seem to be used fairly often medically for opioid w/d, opioid potentiation, and stimulant comedown; at least around here anyway.

NZN, I appreciate the reminder that my body is a temple; this is something I forget sometimes. Also, that life is a precious gift. Like a lot of us, I've pushed it way too far, too many times. Thankfully I'm still here :giggle:

I'm currently a nursing student, working toward advanced practice, and had a large exam today. I screwed up with studying and time mgmt, and for the first time found myself in an "all nighter" type study situation. This is not something I do regularly (overnight studying or taking more than prescribed daily dosage; especially not staying up over 24 hours with amp... those days are long behind me.

48 hours and 180mg vyvanse later... ended up blacking out on the comedown. No alcohol involved. Fortunately all was well and my wife put me to bed.

Last edited: