• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Almost there... how do I finish? Getting off of Opiates

hotmoonsauce

Bluelighter
I've been on Opiates (Oxycodone and Oxycotin) for almost 10 years. Never abused them, always prescribed. But I hate how they basically own my life. I finally took the leap to get off of them and over the last 6 months have slowly tapered down with my doctor. At my peak I was 210mg total every single day. I'm currently at 40mg and only Oxycodone. While the last 6 months haven't exactly been fun, I can NOT go lower for some reason. I've been breaking the pills (10mg) in half so I'm only taking 5mg every few hours but I have awakened every single night for the last week around 2-3 am. I just can not seem to get through this part.

I thought once I got down this low it wouldn't be as difficult but this has been f'n brutal. How on earth do I finish this? The one major symptom I have is this weird tingling sensation. I can handle the aches, pains, diaherra, malaise feeling, but this STUPID ASS TINGLING WILL NOT STOP. It's in my arms and legs. I see the finish line, I WANT to cross it but I'm at my f'n wits end.

I have access to Lyrica, about every muscle relaxer there is, weed, and some Butran patches, 4 boxes of Naloxone, and a random assortment of Ativan/Clonazapam type stuff... if any of those would help. I tried Lyrica 75mg but that didn't seem to help. Went up to 150mg and still nothing and I also felt really dizzy. The weed seems to help a little but it only lasts like 10 mins. I literally want to cut my arms off its driving me batshiat insane. Help!

I've been on Opiates (Oxycodone and Oxycotin) for almost 10 years. Never abused them, always prescribed. But I hate how they basically own my life. I finally took the leap to get off of them and over the last 6 months have slowly tapered down with my doctor. At my peak I was 210mg total every single day. I'm currently at 40mg and only Oxycodone. While the last 6 months haven't exactly been fun, I can NOT go lower for some reason. I've been breaking the pills (10mg) in half so I'm only taking 5mg every few hours but I have awakened every single night for the last week around 2-3 am. I just can not seem to get through this part.

I thought once I got down this low it wouldn't be as difficult but this has been f'n brutal. How on earth do I finish this? The one major symptom I have is this weird tingling sensation. I can handle the aches, pains, diaherra, malaise feeling, but this STUPID ASS TINGLING WILL NOT STOP. It's in my arms and legs. I see the finish line, I WANT to cross it but I'm at my f'n wits end.

I have access to Lyrica, about every muscle relaxer there is, weed, and some Butran patches, 4 boxes of Naloxone, and a random assortment of Ativan/Clonazapam type stuff... if any of those would help. I tried Lyrica 75mg but that didn't seem to help. Went up to 150mg and still nothing and I also felt really dizzy. The weed seems to help a little but it only lasts like 10 mins. I literally want to cut my arms off its driving me batshiat insane. Help!
Good news!

I just did a google and oxycodone is water soluble.
Can you get yourself some marked syringes, dissolve the pill, in a jar, in the same amount of water, each day, and take out a small manageable cut?
The other reason you might find cutting is the short half-life of 3-5 hours, so, while it is a hassle, to keep your blood level smooth, you would have to dose several times a day, experiment with 5 or 6.
I did this tapering off 600mg pregabalin-a big dose, (A bugger to get off) it had a 6 hour half life, so I divided 24 by 6 and dosed 4 times a day, using a cut I was comfortable with, it took a while, but it was well worth it, it saved me lots of pain.
If you visualise a conventional taper on a graph, it would look like steps, and the lower the dose, the bumpier the "steps", whereas, a small, daily cut, dissolved in water, would look like a smooth curve on a graph - I would definitely recommend.

Good news!

I just did a google and oxycodone is water soluble.
Can you get yourself some marked syringes, dissolve the pill, in a jar, in the same amount of water, each day, and take out a small manageable cut?
The other reason you might find cutting is the short half-life of 3-5 hours, so, while it is a hassle, to keep your blood level smooth, you would have to dose several times a day, experiment with 5 or 6.
I did this tapering off 600mg pregabalin-a big dose, (A bugger to get off) it had a 6 hour half life, so I divided 24 by 6 and dosed 4 times a day, using a cut I was comfortable with, it took a while, but it was well worth it, it saved me lots of pain.
If you visualise a conventional taper on a graph, it would look like steps, and the lower the dose, the bumpier the "steps", whereas, a small, daily cut, dissolved in water, would look like a smooth curve on a graph - I would definitely recommend.
so you are saying to dissolve a pill in water and "break it in to 1/4th's" ? So if I fill the syringe to 4mg, I'd take 1 mg every couple hours?
I could probably do that. I might be able to break these things in to 1/4th's too.

Either way, you are saying to continue tapering down? K, I can do that. I just assumed at 40mg total surely that would be low enough to just quit completely. Boy, was I wrong.
THank you for replying.

so you are saying to dissolve a pill in water and "break it in to 1/4th's" ? So if I fill the syringe to 4mg, I'd take 1 mg every couple hours?
I could probably do that. I might be able to break these things in to 1/4th's too.

Either way, you are saying to continue tapering down? K, I can do that. I just assumed at 40mg total surely that would be low enough to just quit completely. Boy, was I wrong.
THank you for replying.
You are welcome.
I would start tapering the pill as soon as you feel well enough.
I would not "break the pill" whilst dry, the divided doses need to be equal and this can be done by measuring the dissolved oxycodone in water.
I would get a big 50ml syringe with measurements on and measure out a set amount of your choice (might be 100ml-needs to be the same amount every day) water, into a "supply jar", plop your daily dose into it and dissolve, mixing it thoroughly.
I would then, get a 10ml syringe or, use the markings on the 50ml syringe to measure out equal amounts of oxy-water into the "smaller "dosing jars". You might want to experiment with more than 4, as oxy has a 3-5 hr half life.
This would stop inter-dose withdrawals. The more times you dose, the more "dosing jars" you use, the less chance of inter-dose withdrawals between doses.
I used 4 jars because my pregabalin has a half-life of 6hrs.

If you use 5 jars you could use more water, so long as the 40mg is equally divided into the jars, as in the "oxy-water" would contain 8mgs of oxy. 120ml water in "supply jar" 24ml water in each little "dosing jar", and so on, depending on the amount of jars you find is comfortable for you without inter-dose withdrawals.

You will need a 1ml marked syringe to take out your daily small cuts.

I am from the UK but tried oxycodone once, it's strong.

I know it's hassle, but it's worth it.
I know there's maths involved, but you get used to the maths surprisingly quickly.
I would also buy a spiral notepad, and put columns in:-
Date
Dose
Cut amount
New dose
Comments (you might want to reduce your cut size when symptoms appear, this is the beauty of it)

I did it with valium NOT in water, but in homogenised milk, as valium is not soluble in water.

How long has it taken you to get from your original dose to 40mg dry pill cutting?
Once you have the right cut for you, from my experience with valium and sharing others experiences, daily titration is quicker, as you do not get that "bump" after each "stepped cut" from dry.

Feel free to ask anymore questions and I hope the above makes sense.

Last edited:
It's time for a taper break. This is something that they do with benzo tapers, which are extremely difficult and near impossible. Just stay here at 40 mg for a while. Don't rush this. As long as you don't go backwards you're still making progress. You've been on opiates for 10 years. If it takes a year, let's say to get off of them completely than that's a win.

You've made great progress. Now take a break and let your body adjust. Use your benzos and Lyrica sporadically to help you feel better.

It's time for a taper break. This is something that they do with benzo tapers, which are extremely difficult and near impossible. Just stay here at 40 mg for a while. Don't rush this. As long as you don't go backwards you're still making progress. You've been on opiates for 10 years. If it takes a year, let's say to get off of them completely than that's a win.

You've made great progress. Now take a break and let your body adjust. Use your benzos and Lyrica sporadically to help you feel better.
Great advice :) <3