• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Almost a year off nitrous!

FractalMe

Bluelighter
I would love to share my story with others and maybe give some hope to other people struggling with Nitrous Oxide addiction.

On febuary 7th I will have a year off a drug that shaped my life from 16-24, it's a long story and if people would like to hear it I can share.

I went bankrupt last year, ruined my first serious relationship. Totalled my first financed car and lost my electrical career.

I tried to kill myself with a black market pistol the day before thanks giving 2020. I was tired of letting the people closest to me down. Nobody could feel the inescapable need to use due to years of almost daily use around 200 chargers a day. I just wanted to be free and as an act of desperation I took 3mg of LSD drunk on Superbowl sunday last year.

It's so hard having worked a headshop and not having a big community like other addictions (heroin alcohol)
I was able to rewire myself with this trip and I wish I'd done it sooner. It's cheap and legal in the PNW and I spent 8 years slowly destroying myself.

If you have a problem with Nitrous please know there is a way out. It has been a long hard road even after reprogramming myself. I had it all and always paid rent, never was unemployed but 8 years of extreme abuse caught up.

I hope my experience can help someone else get better!

I would love to share my story with others and maybe give some hope to other people struggling with Nitrous Oxide addiction.

On febuary 7th I will have a year off a drug that shaped my life from 16-24, it's a long story and if people would like to hear it I can share.

I went bankrupt last year, ruined my first serious relationship. Totalled my first financed car and lost my electrical career.

I tried to kill myself with a black market pistol the day before thanks giving 2020. I was tired of letting the people closest to me down. Nobody could feel the inescapable need to use due to years of almost daily use around 200 chargers a day. I just wanted to be free and as an act of desperation I took 3mg of LSD drunk on Superbowl sunday last year.

It's so hard having worked a headshop and not having a big community like other addictions (heroin alcohol)
I was able to rewire myself with this trip and I wish I'd done it sooner. It's cheap and legal in the PNW and I spent 8 years slowly destroying myself.

If you have a problem with Nitrous please know there is a way out. It has been a long hard road even after reprogramming myself. I had it all and always paid rent, never was unemployed but 8 years of extreme abuse caught up.

Thanks and God Bless You

Damn I truly wish you had taken that dose sooner as well! I’d love to hear about that experience as I’m sure others would as well. Either way good to still have you with us!

Nitrous can be a nasty addiction. I’ve seen it here and there first hand in the festival scene. People glued to tanks practically for the entire duration of the event. One of the last ones, a particular neighbor had a real bad problem with it. He seemed to develop tics that seemed related to his nitrous use.

Truly glad it just never appealed to me. Psychedelics as you’ve seen show you so much more without this seductive allure of “just one more time, I’m almost there!”

-GC

Damn I truly wish you had taken that dose sooner as well! I’d love to hear about that experience as I’m sure others would as well. Either way good to still have you with us!

Nitrous can be a nasty addiction. I’ve seen it here and there first hand in the festival scene. People glued to tanks practically for the entire duration of the event. One of the last ones, a particular neighbor had a real bad problem with it. He seemed to develop tics that seemed related to his nitrous use.

Truly glad it just never appealed to me. Psychedelics as you’ve seen show you so much more without this seductive allure of “just one more time, I’m almost there!”

-GC
That guy in line at the 99 cent store with 10 cans of non-dairy whipped topping was me 🤓

I am interested in hearing more/discussing this maybe privately. I have a fondness for the gas myself, and know in my heart that it can't go on forever. Maybe hearing your story can arm me with techniques or at least increase my motivation to change.

Hey @FractalMe thanks so much for sharing your story with us <3 I am a bit of a nitrous fiend myself and I know it can be very VERY addictive. It's no joke. I'm so glad you've been able to stop using, and to stay clean off it. It's so hard when it's legal and cheap (same with alcohol, legal and cheap). So well done, and please keep it up!!

Hey @FractalMe thanks so much for sharing your story with us <3 I am a bit of a nitrous fiend myself and I know it can be very VERY addictive. It's no joke. I'm so glad you've been able to stop using, and to stay clean off it. It's so hard when it's legal and cheap (same with alcohol, legal and cheap). So well done, and please keep it up!!

For some reason I didn’t peg you as a gas head but I suppose I surprise people myself sometimes ;)

I think I like the sound of canisters/tanks being cracked more than the high itself. That sound is so nostalgic to me, brings me back to a simpler time.

-GC

Dentists dial-in the exact mix of n2o2 and oxygen. Or they hope to

Quite awhile back I had a 3 box a day (150 cartridges) nitrous habit that ran for about a year. It started during benzo withdrawal as I found it provided tremendous but very short lasting relief.

Nitrous oxide has a very complex pharmacology: it actives opioid receptors, the benzodiazepine binding side of the GABA-A and blocks NMDA. Yet i never found it to have a clearly perceptible withdrawal syndrome beyond cravings. More than once i found myself running out and winding up at a supermarket at 2am looking for whipping cream cans on sale (which might contain only 1 charger worth of nitrous oxide).

I remember the piercing sound it made when the garbage guy collected the trash and the weekly thousand (literally) empty chargers mixed with many glass beer bottles would rain into the back.

Addiction reports are pretty rare since it is a logistically difficult habit to sustain (and quite expensive).