• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

All the gas and air I want.

Fresnel

Bluelighter
About 9 months ago I dislocated my shoulder coming of my bike. In the ambulance and in the emergency room I was given a Nitrous/Oxygen 50/50 canister to have as much as I wanted, and prior and during a nurse doing the reduction on the shoulder (popping it back in its socket) I was told to huff as much as I possibly could.

The odd thing is I got zero psychedelic effects. I've used nitrous recreationally and briefly gone to some pretty wild places, but here I was with as much as I wanted and all I got from this was analgesia (thank god, it hurt like nothing else) and a mild feeling of disassociation from the pain.

How come I got no magic? Could it be the pain/accident had flooded me with adrenaline. Maybe the 50% oxygen had some counter-anaesthetic effect, especially with me huffing so hard. I must have had crazy hyperoxia.

I am thinking the opposite thing, maybe some action of nitrous is associated with hypoxia, because most of us take it without oxygen.

Makes sense, just because it gets you high and does all of these wonderful things in low-stress environments (higher concentration for recreational use also helps). 50/50 is common, think dentists. Where do you live that they dole out nitrous like that?

I broke and dislocated my shoulder in 2006 and all I got was a cold pack and a "calm down, we're only 10 minutes away" from some asshole medic.

Nitrous has a pretty high MAC (minimum concentration in lungs to provide anethesia), hence why it's normally only used for induction/analgesia... I would be suprised if they relied on it to fully narcotize you.

Where do you live that they dole out nitrous like that?

The UK. Paramedics carry it.

One thing I noticed was it took a big act of will to keep huffing it because I was so oxygenated by 50% O2 that I didn't want to breath at all (Renald, hyperoxia is the opposite of hypoxia, and if hypoxia potentiates it, perhaps hyperoxia reduces its effect).

I think standard is morphine, benzos and mild anaesthesia before putting it back. But the nurse seemed to think he could do it himself and saved me being admitted.