• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction All meth users need to know this.

TheUltimateFixx

Bluelighter
Hopefully all of you do ; but I've met an alarming number of people who don't so I thought it was worth a mention here.

If your DOC is methamphetamine or an associated compound, your dentist needs to know this, and you cannot use 12 hrs prior to an appointment. The reason being that the dental anaesthetic can KILL you, as it contains vasoconstrictors, and this exponentially increases the risk of myocardial infarction and stroke which is already present with stimulants.

Good point. Upon quick review it seems epinephrine is added to lidocaine. Epinephrine, lidocaine and Meth don’t sound like they’d play nice together.

-GC

Yeah you're right. I remember my dentist telling me it was in the lidocaine when I brought something up, but I can't remember what it was that I asked

Well it makes sense to want to reduce rampant bleeding from the gums right ; so dental anaesthetic needs vasoconstrictors. But that's not the best interaction with drugs that ALSO do that PLUS drive up your blood pressure.

... I don't even do meth, I'm just an HR volunteer who grew up with a medical background so probably more aware of contraindications between various drugs than your average person. Be safe all my fellow druggies 👍

When I was prescribed methylphenidate I told the dentist and he chose a local anesthetic injection without epinephrine. But can epinephrine+meth really kill in communly used dosages?

i saw the photo on reddit a day or two ago. good to know this information gets around.

The use of epinephrine is to prolong the localized (site) action of the anesthetic - basically to counteract vasodilation and slow systemic absorption of the anaesthetic. I have my doubts it would really be enough to truly be harmful for most people, but naturally there are outliers and people with pre-existing health issues (and some who may be unaware), and so you have to ask yourself whether it's worth the risk. And no would be the answer. In any case, if you're going in for dental work or any other kind of medical treatment, best practice is to make sure you've not taken anything non-prescribed for a good few days just to err on the side of caution.