Alice in Chains: The Untold Story - Layne Staley's final gloomy days as the frontman of the Seattle grunge legends

I swear I changed my avatar right before finding this post lol. But I absolutely love Layne and AIC. Guess I can't be alone in a forum of stoners, junkies, and freaks.

Jar of flies in general is a classic album, but nutshell and don't follow are both masterpieces. Saw them for their last tour it was great. I'm trying to do a decent tracked cover of Don't follow as a tribute to a friend I lost, got the distribution and all set up but it's tough to record these days.

Yeah he was really sailing for that Unplugged set. Cantrell sang quite a bit of some songs. Still awesome tho. Layne was fkn fantastic. I remember back when he died, my brother got outta jail a couple days later, and Alice in Chains was his favorite band. Well were riding home and Down In A Hole came on. Bro lights up and is like "Hell yeah man, cant wait till they jam some new shit." Had to be the bearer of the bad news. That look was like he had known the guy. Fkn tragic loss of talent too.

Weird enough something similar happened a few years later, when I got home from an overseas stay, my brother picked me up and Stone Temple Pilots was playing in the car. I have always been a huge fan of Scott Weiland, and his work in both STP and Velvet Revolver. Well i start jabbering that I heard he was on tour and wanted to see The Wildabouts. Well, it had been announced that day he died, and they were playing STP in memoriam. He didn't nger a chance to say, the dj comes on after the sing and says it. Another tragic loss for the music world.

I think their inner turmoil was both a blessing and curse. It drove them to creative ways of expression which made fantastic music, but also drove them to want to escape the torment, which led to heroin in particular. To "numb the pain" so to speak. Their own best friends, their own worst enemies.

Damn 😕
I saw Stone Temple Pilots, front row! Could literally see the sweat pouring down his face. Pinned as. But amazing show. After they left the stage I leaned over the barrier and grabbed Scott's maracas! I tired stealing them but some douch roadie took them off me!

I've always found it morbidly fascinating how Layne took it out to the bitter end. Very few junkies actually have their bodies give out from their habit. Most die suddenly from overdose or suicide.

It's a very sad story. I wish someone had had the balls to kick down that door, haul him out, and get him on house arrest and methadone. Ironic that Mike starr didnt have it in him to do this, and succumbed himself a few years later. Both such amazing people, sad they're gone