• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Alexander Shulgin dead: ‘Godfather of ecstasy’ and pioneering psychedelic pharmacolog

Wow. I just saw that. It is sad to lose those who have contributed so much.

Without him I think there wouldn't even be this MDMA & Empathogenic drugs board :)

RIP.

“Use them with care, and use them with respect as to the transformations they can achieve, and you have an extraordinary research tool. Go banging about with a psychedelic drug for a Saturday night turn-on, and you can get into a really bad place, psychologically. Know what you're using, decide just why you're using it, and you can have a rich experience. They're not addictive, and they're certainly not escapist, either, but they're exceptionally valuable tools for understanding the human mind, and how it works.”
― Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

Its funny to me that his most heralded and well known compound is MDMA, yet all the kids who spend their nights in warehouses popping the compound he created don't seem to even know who he is, yet psychonauts all over the world will be mourning his death for days to come. Its interesting kinda.

Well he didn't exactly create MDMA but he did publish his methods of synthesis and also described and rated the subjective experience of taking different quantities

He definitely didnt discover it but I think he was really the person who in his pursuit of mind altering drugs in general "rediscovered it" and in the process of documenting his reports and experiences made it hit the mainstream.

As far as im aware it was discovered by a Scientist working for Merck in the early 1900s and it was one of those molecules that was discovered, patented and then shelved.

Little did they know LOL ;)

Both books and documentaries from Alexander Shulgin are fascinating for certain people. For those who just like to get fucked up and dont really care about why or how his literature can be a bit heavy duty. For me I think the guy is a hero. His books are awesome!

RIP. I will miss any more publications and new discoveries from this very nice man. :(

i like his philosophy of the chemistry i wish i could be like him later on my studied :D . one of my references in the past to study organic chemistry btw