• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol withdrawals

Gotftw21

Greenlighter
m a 30 year old female who has been drinking every day for the last 12 days. It's 375ml of vodka and usually 2 small barcadi shooters. I have been drinking 16 oz of water close to 5 times a day if not more as well. I know I have a problem and I won't to stop drinking. I stopped last night/evening. I already deal with anxiety and woke up last night with extreme anxiety. My hands and feet also will get tingling but it doesn't last long. I have been shaking a bit too but that comes and goes. I have not been able to get comfortable in bed to go back to sleep. I had an issue with drinking before and was sober for almost 4 years. My family who I live with have no idea that I have been drinking every night. I don't know if I should go somewhere to get help while I go through my withdrawals. I also don't have any insurance and am currently looking for a job so I have a very low amount of money. My heart rate is still the same as it typically is as well. I have been without drinking now for about 16 hours and am starting to feel a little better. Thanks for your comments

I find it hard to believe one becomes physically dependent on alcohol after 12 days of heavy drinking. Hell, when I used to drink, I drank for roughly two years straight, every day, between 15 and 25 standard drinks a night. After that, no short-term sequela was noticed -- and I stopped drinking cold turkey.

To put your mind at ease, you can always ask your doctor for further advice and get a LFT ordered. Also, benzos may help in this instance.

Everybody's experience is going to vary. You're correct in assuming that full-on dependency will not set in within such a short period of time, but if we are being realistic, after a couple weeks of fairly heavy drinking, you can expect some rebound anxiety and maybe some insomnia. Shakiness/Tremor is also pretty common, but the good thing is that it will be fleeting. Your negative symptoms should resolve within a day or two.

Anecdotally, once when I was in a Psych Ward, I somehow convinced the MD that I was on 4mg Clonazepam (Klonopin/Rivotril) per day in two divided doses. I don't know exactly how I accomplished it,but I did. So, I was in the ward for 15 days. I didn't want to leave because I was just getting fucked up, playing Wii and chilling. Well, they didn't send me home with any Benzodiazepines, because it eventually came out that I was conning them.

I got out and after taking what would be considered a moderate/heavy dose of a Benzodiazepine for a little over two weeks, I didn't feel great. I was anxious, shaky, sweaty... all that stuff. The good thing is that these symptoms abated in less than 48 hours. Basically, you can expect a rebound, that is, effects that are the opposite of what you experienced while on them. You will be fine though. This is a minor situation and you will get over it no problem :)

Keif is right, OP. Everyone's mileage varies. I guess I was lucky enough not to sustain any long-term health damage (especially liver damage) from drinking heavily for 730 or so days straight. Again, I wouldn't be too paranoid. Your symptoms will be gone within a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay hydrated, take B vitamins potassium and magnesium. Eat whole foods. If you can't sleep from the restlessness just walk all night. You should be fine in 2 or 3 days.

11 drinks a day is enough to cause wds in a small female even if for only 12 days. Youre better off with a quick taper. Say 7 then 4 then 0 using beer no hard liquor. If it's too fast i.e. youre shaking and sweating then its too quick so have another beer. So long as you continue to decrease and dont get drunk youre good.

Since then I have still had that same amount. Not every day sometimes every other day or every two days. I have noticed recently I'm having a great trouble falling asleep and staying asleep all night. The nights I don't drink I wake up in sweats. Even though my room is pretty cold. I'm having bad anxiety, but the person who I live with-my brother also found out last week the furnace had rusted out and was slowly leaking carbon monoxide, which made me more paranoid. Do you think the paranoia and high anxiety not being able to sleep has also stemmed from that. It was replaced yesterday. Also, I've mainly been sitting in weird positions on my bed for hours at a time reading and have had a sorry right shoulder and neck area for the last few days. And then I tend to sleep or try to sleep in weird positions. My heart rate is still normal and I haven't had any shortness of breath or any chest pains.

Continued alcohol use post

Since then I have still had that same amount. Not every day sometimes every other day or every two days. I have noticed recently I'm having a great trouble falling asleep and staying asleep all night. The nights I don't drink I wake up in sweats. Even though my room is pretty cold. I'm having bad anxiety, but the person who I live with-my brother also found out last week the furnace had rusted out and was slowly leaking carbon monoxide, which made me more paranoid. Do you think the paranoia and high anxiety not being able to sleep has also stemmed from that. It was replaced yesterday. Also, I've mainly been sitting in weird positions on my bed for hours at a time reading and have had a sorry right shoulder and neck area for the last few days. And then I tend to sleep or try to sleep in weird positions. My heart rate is still normal and I haven't had any shortness of breath or any chest pains.

It's possible that the messed up furnace situation could contribute to your anxiety and stress. I do believe that your difficulty sleeping and waking up sweaty is alcohol withdrawal related. I'm alcoholic in recovery and used to put myself into withdrawals every day it was that bad.

Maybe you could contact your county social services and you may qualify for assistance since you don't have insurance. Tell them you need help with quitting. Meetings are a good place to start. You can meet with others going through the same. Also check out our Sober Living forum. Hang in there! <3

Alcohol is really bad for sleep, outside of drinking yourself into ablackoutpassout situation, its bad for sleep and leaves me feeling restless and sleeping light despite being really drunk. Also, the sleep you do get is lame sleep since you never really get into REM sleep under the influence. I never had a serious drinking problem, but did have a bad benzo phenibut thing. Now if I drink a few standard drinks, I feel good until ~2-3 hours later and then toss, turn, and have rls symptoms. Nowhere as bad as opioid w/d or actual gabaergic w/d but distresing and annoying in its own right.

Alcohol is bad for sleep and drinking daily is going to wreck your sleep quality. You will have sleep dificulties NOT drinking too, but those will resolve if you stop/cut back considerably. It will get worse if you continue drinking the way you are

So if I undestand your post right you are heavy drinking for a little more than a month and you get some sort of wd or rebound effects when you don't drink.
I think you can still get away with this relatively easy. After a month of drinking, the wd could feel bad but I doubt it will last long.
Just try to quit, and propably make a post asking what would make your quitting easier.

I know it's tough but it only gets harder the longer you put off quitting or reducing to reasonable levels. As shitty as you feel right now the wds you're experiencing would be considered minor if at all. I think all you're having is some hangovers at this point, not the true hell of actual wds. I just hope you quit in time to remain a sexy woman of breeding age.

Except for the wd you had to go thru, that nut house story is awesome. Especially not know how you convinced them. Its must have been good tho. I like those stories. Not saying you are, but addicts can come up with some really good tales.

Cant count the number of times I've had to go through bloody alcohol withdrawal, only twice was I able to get Librium support. Most recent one I nearly killed myself with seizures but at that point was beyond caring, for the junkie and alcoholic there is little fear of death, just a release heh.

However, it's unlikely given the amounts you've been consuming that you'll see much of an effect, if any at all. Definitely the right moment to nip it in the bud thouch. Take some time off the booze, a few days, try some mindfulness meditation - some free apps out there for that - you'll be fine.