• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc alcohol withdrawals after 3 weeks of heavy drinking ???

People must realize that binging creates the same amount of damage in a shorter time than a long term moderate drinker...

A lot of people can be in danger real fast partying real hard...

But, that being said, three weeks straight is pretty shitty to come off of, but I highly doubt you will be seriously bad off...

You are definitely going to be uncomfortable, and benzos are not a good trade off. The withdrawals are so similar the benzos just may prolong the inevitable if you are not in a clinical setting.

People must realize that binging creates the same amount of damage in a shorter time than a long term moderate drinker...

A lot of people can be in danger real fast partying real hard...

But, that being said, three weeks straight is pretty shitty to come off of, but I highly doubt you will be seriously bad off...

You are definitely going to be uncomfortable, and benzos are not a good trade off. The withdrawals are so similar the benzos just may prolong the inevitable if you are not in a clinical setting.

How long does it take for somebody to develop brain damage from binge drinking? How many months?

There is no exact number, It has all to deal with how much you drink and the level of certain nutrients in your brain...

The more you drink the more damage done in a shorter amount of time...

I've been hitting 6 cans and 2 litres of cider a day, in an attempt to aid opiate detox, but as soon as my inhibitions fall it's "Why not? It feels fantastic!" and I cave. Tonight is my 2nd day free of opiates, managed to drink with a shit-ton of opiates in the house and not touch them so I'm quite proud of myself.

Derailment but slightly related...

How long does it take for somebody to develop brain damage from binge drinking? How many months?
Hours. Duh. It's not just your brain either, it's your entire nervous system that's damaged. It can take long for clinical signs of such damage to show though, this is highly variable. Some people can drink 500ml of 80proof for 50 years and not show any manifestations of nervous system damage, others only drink 4-5 beers per day for a few years and experience full-blown polyneuropathia. The problem in clinical settings is that most people deceive themselves and intentionally lie to the clinician about the extent of their habit.

I once went on a drinking binge for 5 weeks, drinking during any time of the day and night, 1-2l 80proof per day. Had no withdrawls whatsoever. Some craving ofc, but that only takes a few drinks for me to develope anyway and usually lasts a couple of weeks, getting less intense each day.

Last edited:
hey Blue Lighters,

just found this thread when i googled 3 weeks of heavy drinking. 8(

so i'm looking to quit and move out of my current living situation in the next 2 days. Has to be done to get off the daily heavy use habit i just started at the beginning of the month.

Let me know if anyone has experience with detoxing after 21 heavy drinking days without eating properly. Are there any foods or meds that will help? luckily i have a little bit of Klonopin on hand to help too.

just trying to get a good game plan in before Tuesday when i'll be stopping cold turkey because i will be moving away from an urban area and simply wont have access to any alcohol at all because i dont drive.

hey Blue Lighters,

just found this thread when i googled 3 weeks of heavy drinking. 8(

so i'm looking to quit and move out of my current living situation in the next 2 days. Has to be done to get off the daily heavy use habit i just started at the beginning of the month.

Let me know if anyone has experience with detoxing after 21 heavy drinking days without eating properly. Are there any foods or meds that will help? luckily i have a little bit of Klonopin on hand to help too.

just trying to get a good game plan in before Tuesday when i'll be stopping cold turkey because i will be moving away from an urban area and simply wont have access to any alcohol at all because i dont drive.

thiS thread is really old. really old.
i dont know exactly what your drinking habits are but start to cut back right away, buy some beer or booze and bring it with you when you move and taper down slowly.

the reason to do this isnt for physical withdrawal but it will reduce any anxiety or discomfort you experience.

if you have had alcohol wds before or prior dts then yes 3 weeks could possible set you up for acute alcohol withdrawal but if you have never gone through this before you should be in the clear in so far as physical safety goes.

if any of your symptoms become too difficult to manage see a doctor.

drink lots of fluids, take a multi B vitamin and some magnesium. those usually help me out.

good luck and stay safe!

thanks for the reply!

i have already taken the steps i was planning to take. (i.e Moving out of the city i lived in). Klonopin, exercise and good food will hopefully suffice.

Campral helps. It will soften withdrawal, in a backward way, but it works wonders. By the way, it takes 21 days to make a habit. Plenty of time to get to the stage where withdrawal can happen after stopping.

Last edited:
Hell I am on day three of a hangover after about 3 weeks of heavy drinking. Talking a 40oz for breakfast then a liter of 100 proof vodka for the day. That vodka hurt me bad. I'm over that shit. I'm on day three of feeling shitty I also broke out in hives pretty bad around the end of my binge which after 15 years of on and off heavy drinking has never happened. Kinda freaked me out. My body ain't what it was when I was 17 haha

hi bls,

need your kind advice.. currently on vacation, been drinking heavily (beer staring noon time, and g&t later at night). am talking about maybe 12-15 beers nad 5-6 g&ts...

need to start work in a weeks time... am afraid i will have some mild w/drawals i need to be on top of things if you know what i mean

nos, is 3 weeks enough to make me go thru pain and craving ? i plan on stopping 3 days before, will have a few beers at night to 'taper' but thats all

is that gonna work ? or shud i quite right away ? or shud i go on diazepam for a week's time after i quit

really need you advise here guys

thanks in advance

FF

Unfortunately, I am an alcoholic. I go through a half gallon of congress vodka every day and a half. Seizures when I withdraw, been in the hospital too many times to count, highest BAC was .501. Long story short............. You will be just fine man. You have plenty enough time, and you probably won't experience withdraws if you eat and hydrate properly. I mean, if you can wake up and function without having to take 8 swigs of vodka to stop yourself from shaking, I think you'll be okay m8. GL on the new job.

here's my relationship with alcohol and how it effects me.

i'm about to be 32 years old next month, i've drank nearly every day since turning 21. i started with liquor - at first a liter of whiskey would last 7 days, drinking from about 10pm-5am. 6 weeks later it was lasting about 5 days. after about 2 months of this, it had progressed to every 3 days and i was sipping pretty much through-out the day, and after a few weeks at that rate i started to notice issues with my stomach and more frequent headaches. so one day i decided to drink the majority of the liter from the time i woke up till i went to bed 12 hours or so later. this resulted in one of the most horrendous hangover/migraines i ever had. after 3 days of intense pain/vomitting/diarrhea i went to the emergency room and was given IV fluids and a script for eight 10mg hydrocodone pills. i took all 8 when i got home, which at that point would make me very high - so i was happy for the relief, and back to normal the next day.

i stopped drinking totally for 2 or 3 weeks. i had never heard of alcohol withdrawals and i felt nothing of the sort at all. i did smoke pot all day every day, maybe that helped.

then a buddy introduced me to sam adams cherry wheat beer. previously i was not a big fan of beer, to the point when i would only rare drink a 24oz of some fruity shit like zima or smirnoff ice or something... however for some reason i loved that beer. so i started drinking 4-6 beers a day, and stayed at that rate for about 5 years. then i moved to an area where budweiser was too expensive, but they had these 6-pack of busch pints... 8 beers for $5 and there is a mountain on the can - i'm sold. so was at 8 beers a day up until i went on suboxone for a bad opiate habit last year. the subs made me so miserable, combined with not being able to get high or smoke pot or i'd be kicked out of the program, i started drinking more...

now i'm at like 12-16 beers a day, despite abandoning the sub program after a couple months. have been at this rate for over a year now, and i definitely start to feel shaky if i don't have a drink by noon, which is about 6 hours after i get up.

i'm about to be forced back into it since i got two alcohol related arrests over the summer, including a DWI which got me ordered me into treatment, and treatment is not happy about the opiate issue either. so their goal is to replace booze with a benzo and my illegal opiate use (PST+hydrocodone) with suboxone... i am not thrilled.

long story short, alcohol has pretty much made a mess of things.

I am sorry to hear your situation man. I know how it feels. I lost my job a month ago, and it was the best job I ever had. I just got caught slippin one day and someone thought I was under the influence and told security. Long story short, they breathalyzed me. I blew a .401 at work, pissed dirty for green. Also about 4 months ago, was in the hospital for pancreatitis, twice. Now you talk about pain :(. I'm 27 btw. GL to everyone here.

Take my advice. If you think you have a problem, and want help. Get it. Don't go my route of being stubborn and slowly killing yourself, because it is painful! I can give advice, but yet I won't take it.

summary of the above post:

just stop! simpel as that, 3 weeks is not long enough to get w/d's and if any very very mild ones not enough to be tapering...

edit: better now crOOk :)

I am currently going through detox after just 2 weeks of drinking. Now yes it was 2 to 3 bottles of booze a day but it's possible. My tolerance is so high one bottle got me to .09 at one time. I tried taperingoff and it helped, but I do recommend stopping atleast 5 days before just incase.