• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Alcohol Tinctures and Canna Caps Made Simple

Ilovetinctures

Greenlighter
Oh joy, another nubie know-it-all. Nope, still learning every day and refining how to easly extract the most active cannabis compounds and encouraging others to refine and improve.

It can be simple or more complex but I've found a busy lifestyle dictates the simple.
I only use quality top shelf flower. Living in sunny so cal I have 24/7 access and anything less isn't worth anyone's trouble.

Decarb: Removal of the acid molecule of the psychoactive compounds (decarboxylation) is easily accomplished using a toster oven which have been found to be more stable in mataining a set temperature than a household oven and are inexpensive.

After extensive research and trial and error I have found that a 225-235 F tempeture for 75-90 minutes in a foil covered glass pie bowl produces the best product, although just wrapped in foil seems to work fine. I do not grind the flower before heating (I did for many a batch) just separate out the small flowers from the stem. My desire is to extract the material in the crystals and hairs, not so much the chlorophyll and waxes, at least not on the first go. Once removed from the oven allow to cool to room temp, place in a jar and place the jar in the freezer.

For Alcohol Timctures I place 2 grams of decarbed flower in a couple of coffee filters tied with clean butcher's string and place in a jar with a tight fitting lid (4 oz canning jars work great) and add 1 ounce of 190 proof alcohol that has been kept in a freezer. I use X-F-B found on Amazon since sunny so cal no longer allows us to purchase anything higher than 100 proof locally. Place jar in freezer for 30-60 minutes. Squeeze out the alcohol from the flower and bottle the alcohol/cannabis extract in an opaque/colored bottle with a glass dropper and keep in the fridge or freezer.

Dosing: Start small. One or two drops under the tongue. Allow the alcohol/cannabis mixture to absorb. If it is too "hot" delute tincture with 80 proof grain vodka 1 to 1 or whatever percentage works for you. Keep in mind you will need to increase the dosage. I have used pure water but this has made my tinctures an off white color and I have little issue with using full strength. Always wait at least one hour before dosing again as too strong a high may not be desirable. Go slow until you find the dose that works best for you.

I do perform another longer soak of the flowers allowing the alcohol to absorb anything I missed on the first soak and I'll allow it to soak for weeks. The resulting tincture is of a lower grade but well worth keeping and using.

For Canna Caps I wrap up 2 grams of flower in a coffee filter as described above and place in a small Crock pot (I use the Little Dipper model) and add 1 tablespoon of pure refined coconut oil. Allow to cook with lid on for 3-5+ hours. The longer the cook time the more breakdown of TCH will occur so there wil be less high yet the canna oil will result in a superior sleep aid with added pain relief which is the reason for my interest in this subject.

You can purchase empty caps online or at most health food stores and after squeezing out the oil I use a syringe to fill the caps while the oil is still warm (I use 00 size caps) and store in fridge or freezer for later use.

I haven't tried to cook the flower a second time but I do place it in the composter. I have no idea if a second cook in oil would produce effects worthy of the time and effort but would love to hear if anyone else has tried.

Since I have been using at least 1ml (2 droppers full) daily of the tincture over the past two years it has alleviated horrible muscle spasms in my feet and legs of which I had suffered almost daily after work for many years. The caps help me sleep and help ease painful days. Days off I have been known to take 5 or 6 ml or more of tincture throughout the day and a cap or two. Makes for a peaceful and restful day.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the recipe! I appreciate that you explained everything thoroughly.

I've never made a tincture myself, but this sounds simple enough so I'm going to give it a try.