• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Alcohol Based Tincture - Flower left in

Clean_Cut

Bluelighter
Hi guys,
Really long time between posts for me!
Bluelight did so much for me in my exploratory/formative years and saved me from quite a bit of harm. There is certainly nothing as strong as knowledge when it comes to harm reduction. It's great to see the community still thriving.

To the point of my post, I have a question related to an alcohol based tincture.
My father has made a tincture for my mother (she has un-diagnosed pain ever since her stroke which is chronically debilitating) and he has actually left the flower in the solution. It has now been sitting for over 6 months and he offered it to me as my mother doesn't want it**. I am worried that the solution may be compromised, either by mold or some kind of process whereby the plant material has degraded.
Is anyone familiar with the consequences of leaving the flower in the tincture for extended periods?

** - Side Note for those interested: My mother doesn't really like anything new/different and despite going down the naturopathic treatment route for her condition, is extremely hard to convince to try new things. The old stereotypes and questionable legality of cannabis is something it appears she cannot get past. Coming from a woman who's drug experiences include light alcohol in her younger years and a daily coffee - you can perhaps understand the apprehension to a psychoactive substance.

Last edited:
It should be fine, alcohol acts a natural preservative. You'll know if it's bad though.

You could strain the flower out now to make it more pleasant.

The only real option for your mum if she doesn't like tincture is a suppository. Bypasses the stomach so you don't get high.

Yeah, I think the ethanol would kill anything nasty.

Ethanol is probably why we are still alive to communicate, when you think about it.

Should be fine, Just strain it through some cheesecloth to get the plant matter out and give 'er.