R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Advice Please: Relationships, drug use and lies

LadyFace

Greenlighter
Hello Bluelight Dwellers.

I am a new member, but have observed this site throughout the years for information and entertainment. I use to post on various forum sites when I was younger, but had dropped the habit as life got more busy and for whatever other reasons...point being, although I'm familiar with the territory it feels a little awkward to jump into a new community. Either way, I find myself unable to talk to anyone in person and so I am turning to the internet. I think I just need a place to vent, organize my thoughts and to get objective opinions from strangers. I will try to keep this from being too long, but I feel like there are so many factors at play it may be hard.

I have been a casual drug user for 15 years. I say casual because I have always been able to maintain school, jobs and family, but some people might say a person who smokes pot daily and does hallucinogens sporadically isn't a casual user. Whatever your opinion, I state this to give you a sense of who I am and where I'm coming from as I describe my situation.

I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years now. We live together and care for fur babies together. We have fun, we love each other, we fight, we make up, we pay bills, we basically live life and for the most part we communicate well.

We have both used drugs together and before we met each other. When we were first dating, he told me that he went to rehab for cocaine use. He said he recognized that he was doing lots of it every night despite not wanting to, so he checked himself into a program. He didn't end up finishing it because he didn't agree with certain hypocrisies. One being which addictions are socially acceptable to replace your DOC with (i.e. coffee and cigarettes) and which are not (video games and sex). Another, issue he had with the program was the idea that he had to accept that he was powerless to his addiction. He felt that this was wrong since it was his choice to seek help. In having this discussion with him I could see his points, but I cannot say that I wasn't skeptical that these were maybe the justifications that allowed him to continue as he pleased. Despite my concerns, I felt that it is possible for people to make and learn from mistakes in their lives. I have done so, why couldn't someone else. Plus, he was being honest with me, there was no reason for me to know without him telling me. Lastly, he would have to be amazingly sneaky, with all the time we spent together, to be abusing a drug I was familiar with without me being able to tell.

A year or so passed and besides pot, neither one of us was using anything else regularly. We have partied on various occasions with all sorts of things. The first time coke came up I was concerned. I asked him about it and told him his past made me concerned for him. He told me that he had it under control and that I shouldn't be worried, he had never gotten out of control with it since the time he had put himself in rehab. I guess I ultimately felt that he was a grown man able to make his own decisions, to self destruct or not and I cannot control others. We had talked about it and again I felt like he was honest so, let life happen and let the chips fall where they may. We have both on an off used cocaine together without me feeling like either one of us was over-doing it or abusing it.

Then maybe 8 months ago he either read something or someone told him that he could separate the pure cocaine from the additives...this lead to research and experimentation...which to me seemed to end up with him smoking crack, or freebase cocaine. When I realized this it crossed a line with me. Maybe because I was unfamiliar. Maybe because of the stigma that the words crack and freebase have. I talked to him again. We had a discussion in which he expressed that he in one night felt like he had fallen off the wagon, it was the first time he had felt out of control with something since the original problem. We discussed this and he told me that he was ashamed of that experience but felt that he didn't want to do that again and assured me he was able to stop because he remembered and didn't like feeling out of control. Again I was worried, but his honesty and actions afterwards made me feel like maybe it was a momentary laps and either way again I am not able to control others actions, only my own.

His grandfather, who was his main father figure growing up, passed away recently. He is not the most expressive with his emotions. In the last few months things have been up and down. I have felt him retreating and isolating himself. He is locking doors and playing lots of video games. I am trying to walk the line of being there for him, but giving him space to grieve in his way.

He is lying to me about something and I think it might be drugs. I don't know whether it's freebase cocaine related or something completely different. He definitely isn't snorting cocaine or doing anything else I can completely put my finger on. He isn't sleeping all the time, sometimes he'll go two days without sleeping. He's had insomnia problems before that aren't drug related. But I just get the feeling that there's something more. When I started trying to talk to him about my concerns he was more defensive than he's ever been. When I asked him why he was being defensive and that I was just worried and wanted to help him, he has in general just acted like I'm overreacting and obsessing/being paranoid. This reaction in itself worries me more, as the other times he was just open and honest with me. Some days or weeks I feel like he tries to be more here and connected with me, but I get the impression that it's to placate me, or maybe him trying to pull himself out of the funk or the drugs. I saw a text to one of his friends as he was writing it once, in which it said that I didn't know something so for his friend not to mention it to me. I asked him right away what that was about and he got upset that I read it. I wasn't trying to snoop, I just saw it, I mean he was sitting right next to me writing it. He wouldn't tell me what it was. I don't know if it was just a matter of pride and privacy or lies.

I am open minded. I don't believe that all drug use is bad or inherently life destructive. But I need honesty in my relationship. It is driving me crazy. I have tried to talk to him and things just don't add up. I've seen meth pipes in his room, but he isn't acting like the people I have known that are meth users and from our previous openness meth was never something he was into. He isn't acting like the time he went out of control with the freebase coke either. I have snooped in his phone before and felt bad for invading his privacy, so I don't want to do that again. The more I try to bring it up without having any evidence of anything he gets more frustrated and angry with me and defensive. I don't know if my mind is making things up and he's just depressed, having insomnia and grieving and upset with me for not trusting him, or if my intuition is right that he is lying to me about some drug use that he knows or thinks I won't approve of.

Sorry if this is too long. I feel like my issues straddle many of your different forums, so I didn't know where to place it. I also feel like this community is more open, so I won't just get the standard judgmental "he uses drugs, leave him" thrown at me. I also feel unable to go to my friends or family because I don't want them to judge him or me. Any insight, words of encouragement, things to look out for or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you for putting up with the long read.

Moved from Homeless :)

Welcome to the site LadyFace, glad you finally joined the community. Please do not hesitate to post in any section you wish as your more than welcome.

I think your actions and questions are fully valid - you know that your BF has had a problem with drugs in the past and has fallen off the wagon before .

Meth pipes lying around, locked doors, insomnia, change in behavior from open and honest to brushing it off etc does point to him using again. I know that people can grieve in strange ways and that could explain a lot of his behavior but people don't often need a pipe if there not using something.

You don't say how long this has been going on - so maybe he just needs a little bit of 'me' time to get over losing his Grandfather? The problem is, is if he is using something like crack or meth during this time his old addictive ways could resurface. There really is no quick fix on this and you need to discuss your feelings, regardless on his reactions, with him.

Yes he may get defensive, annoyed etc but you need to know what your facing.

(it's also quite normal for people to sign out of treatment centers because of the reasons he stated - it's not a cop out or a way of ignoring the problems).

Last edited:
If he's using something, he likely is embarrassed and doesn't want to tell you. Seems like you are on the right track... being patient with him, giving him space, but also trying to get him to open up more to you. Tough situation <3

Thanks guys. It helps to feel heard and validated. It is a hard situation, but I'll keep trying my best since I think he's worth it. Also if anyone has any insight into strategies to talk to someone in this type of situation that is welcome too. I appreciate the feedback llama and bear :)

Edit: so he definitely is doing speed or something that looks like speed. Life must be coming to a head because without intending to I found the pipe and drugs that to my knowledge look like speed...I guess it's nice to know my intuition is guiding me...I just don't know what to do now. Lies are not ok with me, but I don't want to give up on someone that I love. But if he can't tell me then he isn't ready or willing to deal with it. This is shitty :/

Last edited:
His grandfather, who was his main father figure growing up, passed away recently. He is not the most expressive with his emotions. In the last few months things have been up and down. I have felt him retreating and isolating himself. He is locking doors and playing lots of video games. I am trying to walk the line of being there for him, but giving him space to grieve in his way.

You've known him for four years (or more).. I think you should be able to confront him, in a gentle way.. I mean you're not a stranger to each other emotionally. Guys don't always handle grief well.. or many emotional states haha.. but seriously, as a guy myself, sometimes we will get defensive because expressing that level of raw emotion makes us very vulnerable, plus we're not raised to do so as men. You need to find the right word combination sometimes but not in any pressuring way.. just be honest that you're worried, that you care for him, and that you're there to support him/that he can let it all out in front of you. Combine it with a hug or something, show that you mean it.

I think you're right to talk to him about this though.. grief and substance use of any kind don't go well together. A person needs to break down a little and cry it out, so they can move on. I don't have any experience with guys on this level of substance use though. Hope this is of some help for you.

Direct but without being confrontational, express your concern without using doing a guilt trip. Try not to dwell too much on his past substance abuse etc

He has been really open and honest with you about his past use so try that approach - you know you can tell me anything, I've noticed that your not being your usual self at the moment and you know that if you need to talk to me that I'm here for you. I would be lying if I told you that I had not seen the pipes about the place and if your using all I can ask is that your careful.

^^^ Great suggestions!
Let him know you're open, willing to listen, and that you're there for him. Tell him you won't judge, you'll love him anyway. That you want to help him, when he wants that.

Losing his main father figure likely hurt him bad. When I lost my dad and then my grandfather six months apart, I was an emtional mess for a good year. He's trying to control the feelings, i would suggest you and him have a bender night but do Molly or 2CB or another psych drug. Let him open up and you can too.

both of you need a soul recharge.

how often you two have sex? Get him away from the video games too.

Direct but without being confrontational, express your concern without using doing a guilt trip. Try not to dwell too much on his past substance abuse etc

He has been really open and honest with you about his past use so try that approach - you know you can tell me anything, I've noticed that your not being your usual self at the moment and you know that if you need to talk to me that I'm here for you. I would be lying if I told you that I had not seen the pipes about the place and if your using all I can ask is that your careful.
^^^ Great suggestions!
Let him know you're open, willing to listen, and that you're there for him. Tell him you won't judge, you'll love him anyway. That you want to help him, when he wants that.

I tried versions of this. He finally told me, that was a relief. I know it doesn't fix everything, but it gives me hope that he is still coming from a place of love, that he knows I care and will be here for him and that he didn't continue to play me for a fool.

Thank you so much for the advice guys.

We may very well need a soul recharge, but at this moment I'm ok with it being a sobor one. I would feel like suggesting that experience would be pushing him to deal with his emotional stuff faster/my way and from having my own emotional stuff, I know that I pushed away from being pushed.I just don't want to be treated like I'm the parent he has to hide from, or a fool who can't put two and two together. I want honesty and for him to come to his own decisions about and place of healing. Our sex life is fine, although admittedly became rough as i realized he was lying to me. I have trust issues of my own and work really hard to assess situations logically and not from my past traumas emotionally...so bottom line is that being lied to fucks extra hard with my head.

I tried versions of this. He finally told me, that was a relief. I know it doesn't fix everything, but it gives me hope that he is still coming from a place of love, that he knows I care and will be here for him and that he didn't continue to play me for a fool.

As long as you know this and you willing to work on it then everything else will be fine. Do you guys do MDMA ?

As long as you know this and you willing to work on it then everything else will be fine. Do you guys do MDMA ?

Yes we have/do...I have personally gotten to a place with it where I can't let myself relax into it and enjoy or delve into the experience anymore, so I've started opting out most time when it comes up. I'm not sure if he's ever treated it that way ever...the times we've done it together have been more superficial and about partying.

Have you done it at home with just the two of you? Sounds like you are the one holding back?

Have you done it at home with just the two of you? Sounds like you are the one holding back?

Yes we've done it at home alone and other social home settings and party settings. For sure I am holding back. I just found at a certain point that I couldn't let go. I tried a few times after that thinking maybe the setting or my mental state etc was different so it would be different, but I always found myself retreating into that holding on space and unable to connect and share. I also found the come downs were much harder than when I was younger and would have great experiences that made comedowns doable.

Clearly you have something heavy you are holding onto. Why do that? It's not good for either of you. Hangovers can be hard, but worth it if you get a recharge emotionally. Perhaps you need to use something different? Or a new setting?

trust your intuitions.

as for more drugs to solve this problem? i think less drugs is the answer. if you are very depressed the last thing you need is mdma. same with psychedelics and grief.

be honest and tell him how being excluded is making you feel

Last edited:
trust your intuitions.

as for more drugs to solve this problem? i think less drugs is the answer. if you are very depressed the last thing you need is mdma. same with psychedelics and grief.

be honest and tell him how being excluded is making you feel

Agreed...I am not interested in trying to fix problems with drugs. I have found in the past that I've had epiphanies on trips, but I don't think you can really go searching for an epiphany through drug use.

Either way, he has admitted to the usage and expressed embarrassment and shame as far as not wanting or being able to tell me. I tried to explain how much the lying hurts me and how although I am not cool with that sort of drug use as a lifestyle I am even less able to put up with lying. If he chooses those things I cannot stop him, but he has to give me the respect to make my own informed decisions. I then gave him space to think. He has said that he has thrown it all away and stopped doing it. He has stopped locking doors and has been sleeping a lot. From what I read his moods and sleeping are in sync with someone getting off of speed. I hope he values me enough to continue to be honest with me and I hope he values himself enough to stay away from it for good.

I really appreciate everyone's input and suggestions. It really helped me to be more objective and understanding. Although I was/am still really angry and hurt having objective advice allowed me to gain some perspective that I don't think I could have had from family or friends in person.