Mental Health Advice on how cocaine effects my mental health

Atmejenkins

Greenlighter
Hello everyone! First off, I am new here (although I've checked out this site and lurked here for many years, but never registered). I hope I am posting this in the correct thread. I need some serious solid advice and input on a few things, and I thank everyone in advanced. I will try to make it as short as possible.

I would like to know why it is that cocaine could possibly make someone just feel normal, and why it is that someone doesn't get very high from it really, It just makes them feel like a normal person again. Due to severe fibromyalgia, Im always dragging my feet, every single day... some days so bad I cannot even get out of bed. It can last for weeks of feeling like that too. It's awful.

I've also had undiagnosed attention issues since a kid. It's hard for me to focus. I am not a depressed person, but the attention issues I feel can cause me to become depressed at times. I am taking college courses now and it's extremely difficult because my attention has only got worse as I've got older. If I use cocaine I feel like I can do my school work like a normal person, and it doesn't give me that overwhelming feeling of this huge burden and cloud of doom hanging over my head that it needs to be done. Then that makes me procrastinate to get it done, because I know it's going to suck when I do it and struggle with attention, and it makes my work so much harder.

Between that and my exhaustion from fibromyalgia, everyday is extremely difficult. I also suffer from very bad anxiety, which I take a low dose of .25 mg alprazolam. I've also had 2 back surgeries, 1 major in Nov. 2020 when I had a double fusion.

Is there anything I could be prescribed from a doctor that is similar to the effects of cocaine? I am aware of ADD/ADHD meds, and yes some input about those would be great, but is there any mental health medications that have similar effects like a stimulant does such as cocaine?

Would someone be able to be prescribed any of these possible medications while they were on subutex? (Prescribed for pain management). And is there any suggestions for any other anxiety medication other than alprazolam that you think works better? I've heard that alprazolam is not a very good medicine for anxiety and that there are much better choices for medication.

Also, I want to make it clear that I very rarely use cocaine. Only once in a blue moon. But when I do, this has been my experience. I do not want to continue down this path and chance becoming dependent when I could go the correct route under the supervision of a doctor. I just want to better my life and also feel better too, because it's been a constant struggle with my health issues. I'm tired of being exhausted all the time and want to be more active and feel somewhat like a normal human again.

I thank you all very much for any input. This is a very personal story that I've never shared with anyone. So it means a lot for any input :)

Also, mods if you think this could be moved somewhere better where it could get more attention and more replies, then feel free to move it or let me know to move it as well :)

Thanks!

It's somewhat understood that stimulants have an opposite effect on people with ADD, it actually calms them down and helps them organize their thoughts better. And cocaine isn't a painkiller per se, but it can numb you out a little bit and give you physical energy, so that could be why it helps with your other issues.

I think the closest prescription would be methylphenidate, but amphetamine and also bupropion are also similar and have proven success with ADD. Bupropion is more of an offlabel script for ADD, but it's a common prescription and personally it helps me out a lot and I have ADD.

I'm gonna move this over to the Mental Health forum.

It's somewhat understood that stimulants have an opposite effect on people with ADD, it actually calms them down and helps them organize their thoughts better. And cocaine isn't a painkiller per se, but it can numb you out a little bit and give you physical energy, so that could be why it helps with your other issues.

I think the closest prescription would be methylphenidate, but amphetamine and also bupropion are also similar and have proven success with ADD. Bupropion is more of an offlabel script for ADD, but it's a common prescription and personally it helps me out a lot and I have ADD.

I'm gonna move this over to the Mental Health forum.
Thanks deficiT for moving this over here

I just want to better my life and also feel better too, because it's been a constant struggle with my health issues. I'm tired of being exhausted all the time and want to be more active and feel somewhat like a normal human again.

I thank you all very much for any input. This is a very personal story that I've never shared with anyone. So it means a lot for any input :)
First of all, congratulations on officially joining and making your first few posts!

Now to start with your question:

Well, based on what you have typed it sounds like you may have ADD or ADHD. I have certain credentials that make me somewhat a medical professional, but in no way can I give a diagnoses.

So when somebody takes a stimulant it usually makes them very 'up'. However, when somebody with ADD or ADHD takes a stimulant it makes them calm and focused (an opposite effect). I wouldn't suggest taking cocaine on the regular or as a crutch temporarily to fix your focus issues in university, it's very unhealthy for the heart. Not to mention with your personal health problems, it could exasperate the strain on your body.

So my advice? Get to a psychiatrist ASAP. Mental health medications similar to cocaine, stimulants, would be: adderall (XR and IR, just means extended release and instant release respectively) , ritalin, concerta. I'm sure there's others I've forgotten but these are the main ones similar to cocaine in strength. Adderall being the strongest one.

However, a Dr. will be reluctant to hand out adderall right away, especially if you weren't diagnosed with ADD or ADHD as a child already. In fact, it may be difficult to even get a diagnoses as an adult, which sucks. This is speaking from experience. However, don't knock the weaker stimulants until you've tried them, they may work for you!

As for being able to take them with pain meds, I have never seen a case where it is contraindicated.

As for other anxiety medications other an Xanax (alprazolam), well that's usually the strongest one, perhaps you don't like that it is so short acting? Perhaps ask for clonazepam. This is a longer acting benzodiazepine, holds you throughout the day rather than just a few hours. Xanax is just for panic attacks. Perhaps explain more what type of anxiety you have. I have clonazepam for social anxiety, which is all throughout the day, thus why I have it. And Xanax for the occasional panic attack. This combo works especially well for me. However, if benzodiazepines are not your thing, perhaps gabapentin and hydroxyzine will do the trick as well.

I truly hope you start to feel better soon again. There's plenty of support here in the Mental Health forum.

Much love,
Ash <3

Hi @Atmejenkins and welcome to Bluelight! :)

In addition to the great responses from deficiT and ashwolf, I'd also like to add that my inital thought was bupropion (brand name Wellbutrin or Zyban, depending which country you're in). It is a DRI (dopamine reuptake inhibitor), and cocaine is also a DRI (albeit a MUCH much stronger acting one lol).

As ashwolf said, you should see a psychiatrist so they can properly diagnose you and prescribe you the right meds. Is that a feasible option? (I only ask because here in Australia it is super expensive to see a psychiatrist. Not sure what it's like in your country).

All great comments so far. I'd just like to throw in my 2 cents. Don't admit to your doctor that you tried/used cocaine and it really helped your ADD/ADHD symptoms. You will most likely be pegged a drug seeker and be lucky ever be prescribed pain medication, benzos like xanax and alprazolam or any type of ADHD medication considered a stimulant. And as far as ADHD meds go, the ONLY meds that will give you symptom relief even remotely comparable to what you feel when you do cocaine are the stimulants. Go ahead and try the other meds and see if they work but a stimulant is a stimulant. I'm in the same boat except I have documented substance abuse in my medical records from 5+ years ago that still prevents me from getting the proper medications.

Jadis, LW, QoS