• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Advice on drying weed

ComfortablyNumb95

Bluelight Crew
Hi everyone so I just harvested some good bud from an outdoor plant, and i'm keeping it in my room but it's wrapped in a latex glove (lol) to conceal the odor. Is it ok if I only let it dry for 3-4 days a week and only in the morning? (When my parents aren't at home) also how do I dry it properly? I don't care to speed the process up, i just want to do it so that the bud will be good to smoke.
Last question: I put some rice in the glove since it absorbs humidity, is that a stupid idea?

Thanks in advance :)

No, that's not OK, it will go mouldy & you'll ruin it. Do it somewhere that your parents wont smell it if you can't tell them you're drying a marijuana plant. Hang it upside down somewhere dry with plenty of air circulation for a week or more.

nooooo latex? Your bud will smell more like butt . A room with little light, say a closet with the door ajar and a fan blowing on it til it feels like its good to go is a good ghetto way to do it. You dont wanna expose the stuff to light , nor do you want too much air getting at it so doing that for about 24ish hours would probably make it smokeable . It doesnt take much. I burned some home grown fresh picked, I just had to torch the shit out of it but trust me it worked. I was lit

nooooo latex? Your bud will smell more like butt . A room with little light, say a closet with the door ajar and a fan blowing on it til it feels like its good to go is a good ghetto way to do it. You dont wanna expose the stuff to light , nor do you want too much air getting at it so doing that for about 24ish hours would probably make it smokeable . It doesnt take much. I burned some home grown fresh picked, I just had to torch the shit out of it but trust me it worked. I was lit

Ive never had fresh stuff before. Whats it like smoking partly dried buds? Does it make much difference to the flavour or harshness of the smoke?

Rice as a desiccant is actually a pretty good idea. :D

I accidentally grew some purp under my waterslide back when I smoked and I'd just throw the seeds in an old flower pot. Evidently the conditions were perfect and I hadn't even planned it out. I never even had purple bud, so I have no fuckin idea how the shit grew purple like that. I hung it up for about 12 hours. It was totally fresh and sticky and I didn't wanna wait for it I just had to have it. It tasted REALLY REALLY grassy and awesome except for the excess lighter fluid I was suckin up from torching it. I don't think it was harsh, due to the moisture but I had to pull like a beast to get a good blast. It was like partial vaporization and then smoke. Totally nice experience. Seedy as fuck though . Never had seedier weed... but it was awesome.

Rice as a desiccant is actually a pretty good idea. :D

personaly i agree but I dont think i would have it wrapped in latex. A glass jar would be more my preference; keeping the rice separated from the buds within the jar somehow..like a jar within a jar or somthing like that >.>

all that being said, ive never gone through the process of drying.

^that's a pretty good idea.. I'll figure out something today. Why would you keep the rice and bud separate? Do you think it could ruin the weed somehow?

^that's a pretty good idea.. I'll figure out something today. Why would you keep the rice and bud separate? Do you think it could ruin the weed somehow?
I dont think it would ruin it per say... but i figure if you are attempting to transfer the moisture from the bud into the rice, direct contact would /maybe/ cause "equalization" of moisture where the rice meets the plant since the plant /might/ reuptake the moisture from such close quarters.

Again, its worth stating that ive never actualy aquired any experience in this field nor can i cite any hard facts to go on; im just going with what i PERSONALY think makes sense :p also im sure its just a overcautious measure.

Hell; for all I know keeping it seperated may actualy work less efficiently. *shrug* If I were you, I would do some googling and try to find out more about it. Surely someone has to have thought of using rice before, and the internet is a vast place.
Even if you cant find exactly what youre looking for, you may be able to aquire more info on how rice absorbs moisture and apply that knowledge to your scenario. ^^

Also; as a side note.. you may be able to find out how to make a drying box thats smell proof by using a sealed container, a computer fan and an activated charcoal air filter/screen. Or attempt to vent it out your bedroom window. You just have to apply knowledge of how airflow works.

Mmh yeah thanks I'll do my research when I get home :) Surely I won't do anything fancy like the last thing you mentioned because it's just a few grams.. but I was actually planning to do something more serious next year.. i'll think about it when the time comes :D

Ive never had fresh stuff before. Whats it like smoking partly dried buds? Does it make much difference to the flavour or harshness of the smoke?

It fucking sucks. Turns smoking into a chore. Shit won't stay lit-- it'll only burn while you're torching it with a flame.

Harsher than properly harvested stuff too, in my experience.

Gets you stoned, though, no doubt about it-- wet weed just comes with a little extra baggage, is all.

Its fun to torch fresh weed at least once in your life. I recommend it.

place freshly trimmed product on screen with fan about 3-4 ft away. Wait until (could be next day for freshly trimmed) the outer buds just start getting crisp, just. Then, it's time for the 1st sweat. Grab a paper bag or plastic if you must and sweat buds for 10 minutes (close the bag) 10 mins only. no longer or you risk mould. REmove the buds from bag and back on the rack. Wait again until the outer edges become crisp again and then, back for another sweat; again, just 10 minutes. You repeat this process over and over again. Eventually, you'll find the sweat time increasing and the dry rack time decreasing. YOu know your done when, out of 3 same size buds, when you bend them, 1 stem snaps. Do it again with different buds; one of out three should snap. That means you've dried them nicely; they'll smoke well. Suggest keeping finished product in paper bag, closed but frequently checked on to make sure no mold issues. If too moist still, back on rack they go.
So, dry, sweat, dry, sweat some more. over n over again. each time, less on rack, more on sweat until cured.

works for me. make sure the room isn't too cold. a little heat is good too

Since your trying to do it low key, the screen, sweat method would probably be best for you. In the future hang drying, in a dark room, with a fan, and possibly a heater depending on the time of year, for a few weeks, or until the buds are crispy on the outside and the stems snap (You have to use judgement here, every time can be different, and it will probably take a few times to get it figured out perfect) I would also recommend you get a temperature/hygrometer meter, as your going to want to keep the temperature and humidity under control or you could get the dreaded mold. Carbon Filter will combat the smell as long as its set up properly, and you don't have air leaks. Finally after you feel its dry enough, place the finished product in glass jars in a dark area. Open the jars around once a day for the first week or two to allow air in. The dryer the buds get, the less often you'll have to do it, possibly even once a week. Continue to do this for at least three weeks, it will seem impossible not to indulge in your fruits of labor, but the taste will be much better and far more worth it IMO.

Freshly harvested will taste like shit, but it will still work. Proper dryness and Cure time is necessary for a smooth, clean taste. The way I look at it, you've already waited this long for it to mature, why not wait a little longer and make it worth it.

Also, if you decide to go more serious, please, please, please make sure it is legal, either medically or recreationally. The risk really isn't worth it. In most areas, no matter what your intentions if its not legal, its a felony, and you never know what could happen, regardless of how safe about it you are.

I just put mine on a shelf in my closet and forgot about it. It was dry in a week or less, there is no need to go crazy if your just trying to dry it.

For a proper cure, one must dry, sweat, dry, sweat repeatedly over a few days for optimal results. Nothing crazy about it, quite simple really

Ok guys so I kept my buds in a little box with a bit of rice i it for a night, not I've been keeping it in my ampli for like 2 days.
The weed has gotten darker, is this a good/bad/neutral thing? It still doesn't smell much, if at all. I suppose I have to wait some more or maybe I'm doing something wrong? How do I figure out if there's any mould forming and can i get rid of it? Will upload a pic in a few minutes.

here's the pic:
b6zrkh.jpg

I'll try to find a pic of how it was right after the harvest to compare the color.

Last edited:
That actually looks pretty good for an outdoor plant! Mould will look like little yellow/white spots anywhere on the bud. It'll look similar to trichomes at first but get worse if you let it grow... I'd keep it in the rice box until the stems snap easily, then switch into a glass jar and open it for 20-30 mins a day. I wouldn't worry about it going darker... Some weed goes a bit brownish when drying other stuff goes greener, don't think it makes a difference, though I could be wrong :p.