• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Advice for a Depressed Recreational Drug User

Awkward_Whimper

Greenlighter
It's been acknowledged in the past and in present that I'm "depressed". In all honesty I don't particularly think myself depressed but for the sake of the post let's just say that I am, that the doctors are right on this one.

I am a recreational drug user (yes I know this can cause depression, I study most of my drugs before I take them in a recreational manner; minimum two years). As such, I've always tried to avoid certain SSRIs like anti-depressants and the like because I understood they could interfere and affect a high (whether positively or negatively). So I am always hesitant when a doctor suggests an anti-depressant, not to mention if I truly were depressed waiting two months or however long it takes is plain boring. I'd like my happy thoughts now. Jokes aside I have a question regarding recreational drug use and the pharmaceutical medical use of medication like anti-depressants.

As of now, my primary tastes in recreational drug use are marijuana and alcohol (sometimes separated, sometimes mixed). Off to the side I enjoy benzodiazepines like Xanax and Valiums (and their variation of brands). I also from time to time enjoy an opioid/opiate. Yes I am fully aware of the dangers they can potentially pose as well as cut-off points and self-discipline practices to keep a slippery slope from getting too slick. I have been successfully using the listed for many years after much more research. I also partake in few and partial (mostly a downer) amphetamines like dextroamphetamine and adderall. No cocaine or methamphetamine.

My question is of these substances I take I needed to know whether or not, if prescribed an anti-depressant, I need to lower dosages or quit completely certain drugs (in which case I'd deny the anti-depressant because I find the collection I take to be very effective at treating my depression). I want to avoid serotonin syndrome and any other negative effects observed by taking anti-depressants (and similar medications) with other substances.}

If anyone could help with any information they have (Google has been giving me the cold shoulder after I asked it where I could find somebody who would love me) regarding this I'd be grateful. I've always been hesitant with most substances that stray near anti-depressants. Mainly because the self-control I have I'd lose. From what I understand this stuff takes time to build in your system and you're more or less "hooked" due to severe negative effects if missing doses or quitting cold turkey. I don't want to feel glued to a bottle, and this seems almost obligatory. So, again... if anyone knows anything regarding anti-depressants and similar substances combined with recreational drug use, I'd really appreciate it. :sus:

Thanks,
:)

Awkward Whimper *~*

In just going to throw this out here, I use to have severe depression, that to me.... Came out of no where. I have scars on my arms from deep cuts and scars mentally. And it all started when I started abusing benzos frequently.

I was young and dumb and never even thought that couldve been the cause. But it got to the point where I couldnt even act normal without a blue football or 2. So I quit plus they fucked up my life, the withdrawals and everything.

I wont get into the WDs because I dont want to scare you. But I quit and my depression vanished, I finally put the 2 together, I abused any benzo possible too. But later read that benzo use and later devolping depression is common.

So whenever you dont want as bad depression or depression at all, quit them. Promise its better.

But to your post now. The only thing youd have to worry about with mixing with anti depressants would be the amphetamines. Possible SS or seizures mixing them.

If you didnt abuse benzos you possibly wouldnt need anti depressants, they dont even work and I always refused to be written a script. They turn your brain to shit, dont work at all, and horrible mentally and probably phsyically too.

Anti depressants are bad ive never heard any success from anyone with them. I have a good amount of friends use them and all them said they dont work and I can testify to that also, I didnt notice any positive uplift on my depression when I had depression.

Try out this thread bud, this was made because a user on bluelight not too long ago died from mixing DXM and an anti depressant. He was also on ambien and lyrica

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/795784-Dangerous-Drug-Combinations-Megathread

Last edited:
sorry if this isn't what you needed OP but tl;dr my bad, I've been through so many ssri's and the only one that worked fr me (and which i am currently still taking) was sertraline, but it does sort of kill the high for stims.

guess you gotta chose between being high and being happy.
i chose high.

I don't know if you really have to worry about serotonin syndrome with amp and ssri's. I used to take a 20mg paroxetine (Paxil) before any dose of adderall I took since Paxil is a potent cyp2d6 inhibitor and I redosed 2-3 times sometimes, never had a problem. maybe it's just me