• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Adulterated methylone?

iamthetalker

Bluelighter
A friend of mine (actual situation, not "SWIM") recently acquired a batch of what he believed to be methylone. He ran the standard four-panel DS kit test on it three times (2x before and once after ingesting) and each time it came up methylone. However, some unusual side effects were a cause for concern, especially considering his...extensive history with the substance. After insufflating a measured test dose of 35mg he got the expected mild euphoria and the only noticeable side effect was it turned his urine a dark yellow. About 18 hours later he insufflated a fuller dose and got the typical methylone effects, "feeling great" for about three hours but said he started to suffer kidney pain on the comedown and could see visible bits of crystal in his urine (now an amber color). He also said he got really drowsy and suffered a pretty vivid hallucination toward the end. Apparently he's still flushing flakes out of his nose a couple days later.

Any idea what the heck would cause that? I know insufflation isn't the most efficient ROA but I've never heard of methylone being THAT insoluble, so I assume it's adulterated with something that wouldn't alter the reaction of the reagent tests. He says it also doesn't dissolve in water, but methylone (and pretty much everything like it) should be water-soluble, right?

The substance in question:

I had him run the test again so I could post it for others to verify:

Suspended in water (not the greatest picture but you get the idea):

Last edited:
The hallucinations are a typical effect as well. It's a possibility it was adulterated. The test showing it methylone wouldn't discern it from adulterants. So it's very likely it was adulterated. The kidney pain is typical of toxins. I wouldn't touch that batch again. Throw it away, unless there is some way to extract the methylone. Maybe someone here knows how to do this.

The hallucinations are a typical effect as well. It's a possibility it was adulterated. The test showing it methylone wouldn't discern it from adulterants. So it's very likely it was adulterated. The kidney pain is typical of toxins. I wouldn't touch that batch again. Throw it away, unless there is some way to extract the methylone. Maybe someone here knows how to do this.

Well, he's never experienced hallucinations before but it isn't the first I've heard of it happening to someone.

As for separating the methylone from adulterants: Wouldn't an anhydrous acetone wash work the same for methylone as it does for MDA/MDMA?

Well, he's never experienced hallucinations before but it isn't the first I've heard of it happening to someone.

It could be almost any substituted cathinone ("bath salt") in addition to methylone -- the marquis and mecke and mandelin will match or be a no reaction

Hallucinations have been noted on other substituted cathinones MDPV is active at 3-5 mg insufflated

If someone bought tubs of bath salts and is purifying/recrystallizing -- you could easily get that

Pictures won't be able to tell us. A white substance could be any white drug.

And you know that those reports could be fake. They could just send you a real report from a batch of something that isn't as pure of the batch of something that was actually tested.

keep that in mind.

Apparently he's still flushing flakes out of his nose a couple days later.

this isn't uncommon for many drugs. most things you get are cut with inactive fillers and some for instance talcum (commonly used in the form of baby powder) are not soluble in water. the good thing is that inactive cuts will not cause side effects.

but i'd be a bit concerned because of the kindey symptoms you describe (especially if your friend didn't forget about drinking the whole night, which could be the cause of kidney pains)...