• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

ADHD Meds. Various Questions about effects, dosage, tolerance, experiences, etc.

ericjak258

Greenlighter
Hey everyone!! I know some of the questions I'm going to ask are scattered about but i'd like some fresh thoughts and all questions in one place. Sorry if things get repetitive.

First off, a little history. I was diagnosed with ADHD prominently inattentive about a month and a half ago. After deciding to see a therapist, he tested me and diagnosed me. I had never considered I had adhd, not knowing you could have it w/o hyperactivity. This explained all my symptoms I've struggled with my entire life and why anti depressant and anti anxiety meds never worked. My PCP then put me on Adderall 10mg IR/ twice a day as suggested by my therapist. The improvements I've experienced have been remarkable on many symptoms, however I still have my concerns/questions. After the last visit I had with my therapist, he thought my dose might be too low and requested my doc move me to 20mg IR/ twice a day. This was 2 weeks ago but I haven't started taking that dose consecutively yet (tried 15 and 20 twice a day). The 20mg dose was very effective and seemed to work immensely w/o feeling wired/jittery or anything like that. In fact, I felt much more calm, less anxious w/ highly improved focus, motivation, self control, organization among many other improvements. I have done a bit of research recently about ADHD and the meds prescribed and this is where I have some questions:

1. My therapist said my 10mg IR/ twice a day dose was a very low dose. Thought I would do better with 20mg/ twice a day. However, from what I've read, my new dosage is the maximum dose prescribed. Is this really a high dose?

2. After researching add, I've read that tolerance does develop over time. This is why I am hesitant to up my dosage as that dosage seems to speed tolerance up. Is it common/safe to be prescribed a higher dose in the future when this occurs?

3. From reading forums and such, it seems a lot of people are prescribed much more than 40mg in a day as the norm, even though 40mg is the max recommended dose. It's a bit of a confusing contradiction. Why is that?

4. I'm having a bit of trouble with duration of effects, which seems pretty common. How likely/common is it to be prescribed a 3 times a day dosage or an XR dosage along with an IR booster?

5. I've seen a lot about other ADHD meds. I experience some side effects from adderall that seem to be of the norm, but I could possibly benefit better from a different med. However, I don't want to make a switch and regret it, esp this early on and adderall is very effective. How do other ADHD meds compare/ are they really any different? If tolerance occurs, does switching meds really help?

6. I typically don't take adderall on the weekend, just during the work week and sometimes Sat when I have work but never Sun. I understand that when tolerance starts to develop, a break may be the only thing to help, but there were some side effects in the beginning I would rather not have return. What are some tips on improving/maintaining efficiency with diet/vitamins?

7. What are the typical effects/side effects you personally experience with adderall?

I would appreciate any and all feedback you guys could give. Sorry if I got repetitive or off track (been several hours since my adderall lol). I also apologize if this post has repeated questions from other forums, I just wanted some newer feedback/experiences. I would love to hear all about people's different experiences with ADHD and ADHD meds. I know I have more questions I wanted to ask but I'm really distracted right now and it's taken me forever to write this post. I'll just add any questions I think of as they come up and if anyone has any questions they'd like to add, please feel free. Thanks for reading guys!!

-E

If anyone could even maybe answer 1 question that would be really helpful...I really need advice on a proper diet...I know there are threads about this but having some fresh answers and a take on my specific situation would be nice. I noticed a slight decrease in appetite at the beginning of treatment, however that passed after the first week or so and my appetite returned mostly. I am now eating the same if not more than before I started adderall. I have always had a really fast metabolism and been fairly skinny. I'm 5'11 and I was 153lbs before and am now 146lbs. I know some of the weight loss was from being sick for a few weeks and some from the adderall. I seem to have tapered off and an no longer losing weight but I'm not sure. Some advice on gaining weight and maintaining that weight would be much appreciated. I am by no means eating any less than before, so I need a specific diet and strict regiment to gain the weight. I will be talking with my doctor about this when I see him but I'm the meantime I'd like to gain some weight and ensure I don't lose more. Thanks.

I take 55 mg everyday and it works. It tends to be more effective if I make sure to eat enough calories no fancy diet or anything, get enough sleep 7-8 hours, and exercise just simple IE 30 min walk 5x a week. I don't take breaks as it tends to just cause issues of extra pills and taking heroic doses and crashing chasing that high.

I just got prescribed concerta (methylphenidate ER) 27mg a day a couple weeks ago, but from my years of recreationally using amphetamines for school and fun let me say concerta sucks dick compared to addy and vyvanse. It's much less effective for getting stuff done, at normal dosages it gives a zombie like feeling, causes more nausea, and I feel like im already developing a huge tolerance. The only pluses I'd say it has is it's easier to eat on, I can sleep a little easier and the crashes arnt as bad.

The most common adderall dose I've seen adults with is 20 or 30mg xr taken once a day.

As far as other medications to try I'd recommend vyvanse. However it is a pro drug so it must be taken orally. I feel that it's a little less tweaky/jittery than addy with a much smoother feeling that might help for concentration. Plus the comedowns are way easier to handle. Duration is possibly a little shorter than adderall but I've never had a problem with it it wearing off during the day.
Hope this helps

I am prescribed 30mg xr twice a day once in the am and the second no later than 1 pm. The xrs last for about 8 hrs and by 9 o'clock I am ready to fall asleep. When I feel a tolerance building I will clear my schedule for a few days and stop taking them. When I start back up is when I have sleeping problems. I am also prescribed clonidine and temazepam and it's the only time I need to take them.
As far as the crash I have read that eating a lot of carbs helps and it makes sense. Carbs help reuptake the depleted dopamine plus the Adderall basically causes you to have low sugar because it metabolizes the stored sugars in your body. When you eat sugar it gets turned into carbohydrates and when not used gets stored as fats. But if you replace the depleted sugars with carbs it helps the crash. SorRyan for rambling my morning dose just kicked in lol

Im prescribed 20 mg adderall 3 times a day. I started out with 10's but they thought it was too low of a dose. It does help when i take it but i normally space out my days because it does take a toll on me taking it consecutively. Normally the days i know i will need it or need to be motivated/. Everytime mine kicks in i gag if its taken with food or not. In the beginning when you first start taking it it's definitely more euphoric and fun for most people. It also has alot of side effects at first until your body starts to adjust to it. Theres always the concern with alot of weight loss due to the fact that its almost impossible to eat on it. When i first started taking it i lost a little weight but i started making myself eat (which is awful) but its alot better than feeling like shit the entire day. Lots of water because of how dry my mouth used to get! i would wake up the next day and have those really painful sores on my tongue. CHEWING GUM HAS BEEN MY LIFESAVER. I cant stress that enough adderall makes you grind your teeth like crazy and most people bite the sides of their cheeks and shit i did that when i first started it. It also can help with your stomach & keep your mouth from getting as dry. You'll definitely feel like its really hot & its almost impossible not to sweat on it loose fitting clothes that wont hug your body and make it worse are always the best bet. Mainly the nausea and pain in your stomach tends to be the worst side affect if you have trouble with sleeping your body will adjust normally unless you take it late in the day/ night. If you start to lose sleep on the daily from it it's always helped me when i need a nap during the day to take my adderall then go to sleep once it kicks in it'll wake you up and you'll feel like you had a full nights sleep. The side effects get alot easier with time but i do not recommend taking on an empty stomach its the worst. You can always talk to your psychiatrist or whoever prescribed it & they can give you something to help with an increase of appetite on it so you'll be able to eat, naseau, or if you're having problems sleeping. They know the sode affects can be really shitty & they are there to help you adapt and make it comfortable for you! The beneficial effects or what most people like about it though are obviously
motivation,
feeling of happiness
way more talkative/ social
Some people have a feeling of euphoria
Easier to focus and get things done
& other things but it differs with some people.
This is super long and drawn out because you know adderall but i hope some of this helps!
Ive been taking it for about two years now and when im on it it definitely helps and makes me feel more like myself but when im not on it im normally in bed, and just have that blah feeling but its good to space it out when you take it so you're body isnt running on adderall constantly and can have a break and so when you do take it you can still feel the good/ happy effects!!