View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Addicts benefit from Vancouver's medicinal marijuana dispensaries

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Addicts benefit from Vancouver's medicinal marijuana dispensaries

Cannabis dispensaries offer different strains of marijuana as treatment for a variety of substance-abuse problems, including alcoholism, and harder drugs like heroin.
by TRAVIS LUPICK on MAY 7, 2014 at 12:10 PM

HL_MedicalPot3_2420.jpg

BRYAN ALLEYNE LOST a lot of time to drugs before he found an unlikely cure that he says freed him from dependence.

“I was an addict for at least 20 years. Heroin, cocaine, and every kind of pill I could,” he told the Georgia Straight at a coffee shop on East Hastings Street. “But it’s been eight years and I haven’t gone back to hard stuff.”

Asked how he got clean, Alleyne proudly revealed a small tin case with three large joints inside.

“Ever since the very day that I started marijuana, it took away my cravings,” he explained. “It became my replacement. Marijuana is like my methadone.

“It’s a reverse gateway drug!” Alleyne added with a laugh.

Alleyne, a social worker in the Downtown Eastside, said he sees a lot of people using cannabis to help them deal with addictions to harder drugs.

A number of cannabis dispensary operators the Georgia Straight met with for this story reported the same. Healing Tree on East Hastings and Karuna Health Foundation on Victoria Drive, for example, both estimated that 15 to 20 percent of the patients they see are coming in specifically for assistance with addictions to harmful substances. Those include heroin and other opiates, cocaine, alcohol, and prescription medications such as the benzodiazepine family of antidepressants.

At Karuna Health Foundation, the society’s president, Sacha Canow, told the Georgia Straight that people are using cannabis as a treatment for addiction because it helps them manage cravings, minimize withdrawal symptoms, and alleviate some health problems associated with hard-drug use.

“In most cases, they’re killing an opiate addiction or a synthetic-opioid addiction, so OxyContin, heroin, Dilaudid, methadone—they are probably the most common,” he said. “It’s not like we don’t see other addictions, but those are the most common for Vancouver.”

Canow ran through addictive substances and the corresponding marijuana strains he recommends for each one.

For alcohol, a depressant, Canow suggested an indica or heavy kush, and usually in the form of an edible. For cocaine, a stimulant where the craving is mental, he advised a strong sativa, which isn’t always easy to find, he cautioned. And for heroin and other opiates, Canow recommended a heavy indica, heavy kush, or phoenix tears, an oil extract high in cannabidiol (CBD), a compound understood to have beneficial health effects.

“Basically, what they’re trying to do is medicate themselves so heavily that by the time the opiate comes out of their body, they don’t feel it as much,” he said. “You can do that with marijuana, but you’d definitely have to do it with something potent, like phoenix tears.”

In the Downtown Eastside, the Healing Tree reported that at least a fifth of its medicinal-marijuana patients are consciously using cannabis as a substitute for illicit drugs, with many more likely substituting marijuana unconsciously, and that crack and other stimulants are the most common drugs their patients are struggling with.

Studies examine cannabis benefits

Marijuana as medicine is still a relatively new concept to mainstream North America. But much of the academic literature supports anecdotal reports.

Philippe Lucas, a research affiliate at the Centre for Addictions Research of B.C., has a natural interest in marijuana as a tool for harm reduction. In 1995, he was infected with hepatitis C through tainted blood he received as a child. Lucas’s doctor advised him to clean up his lifestyle, and marijuana helped him do that, Lucas said.

“I used cannabis to help deal with the withdrawal effects, mostly of tobacco but also of alcohol,” he told the Georgia Straight in a telephone interview. “So my work really dates back to a personal experience based on the substitution effect.”

According to a forthcoming study Lucas is working on, 86.6 percent of medicinal-marijuana patients surveyed reported using cannabis as a substitute for at least one other substance. Of that group, the majority—80 percent—said they were using marijuana to get off a prescription drug; 51 percent cited an alcohol addiction; and 32 percent said they were using marijuana in lieu of an illicit substance such as heroin.

Lucas noted that those results are consistent with earlier findings he published in October 2013. That study found similar numbers for marijuana substitution and that respondents were replacing other drugs with cannabis for three reasons: less withdrawal (67.7 percent), fewer side effects (60.4 percent), and better symptom management (53.9 percent).

“Cannabis interacts with our endogenous opioid system and, in terms of dopamine release, the rewards system,” Lucas said. “So there are some good biological reasons why cannabis may be an effective substitute, particularly with pharmaceutical opiates.”

continued here>> http://www.straight.com/life/639501/addicts-benefit-vancouvers-medicinal-marijuana-dispensaries

For alcohol, a depressant, Canow suggested an indica or heavy kush, and usually in the form of an edible. For cocaine, a stimulant where the craving is mental, he advised a strong sativa, which isn’t always easy to find, he cautioned. And for heroin and other opiates, Canow recommended a heavy indica, heavy kush, or phoenix tears, an oil extract high in cannabidiol (CBD), a compound understood to have beneficial health effects.
---------

I support using pot to beat addiction but what nonsense. Zero science showing that indica or sativa is god for any specific illness. To suggest crack heads should go with sativas is idiotic, I am sorry.
These places are operating illegally, giving out weed for purposes that Health Canada doesn't give out cards for. I don't see heroin addiction on the list of recognized ailments. In my opinion grey area compassion clubs or dispensaries give the other side something to use against us when they give out pot for reasons they alone think are okay and dispense BS pseudo medical advice.

I agree that it is for the most part bullshit. Sure a heavy indica might help some of the anxiety, insomnia and general lack of appetite issues with opiate withdrawal but it sure as fuck does not compare to opioid replacement therapy. As for cocaine addiction it does help you come down off crack or IV coke but it does not help much with the cravings of say a IV coke habit. As for alcohol benzodiazepines such as Valium are the initial standard treatment though i did find that hash especially helped ease some of the mental fuckery of alcohol withdrawal.

I am just speaking from personal experience there

Cannabis dispensaries offer different strains of marijuana as treatment for a variety of substance-abuse problems, including alcoholism, and harder drugs like heroin.

I assure any prohibitionist that if all the alcoholic beverages in the world were manufactured in a similar clandestine environment by similar individuals as those which meet America's demand of various Schedule I substances, the resulting moonshine would easily have the potential of being so fucking dangerous to consume, that it would make today's average purity black market Taliban heroin seem about as "hard" as getting baked.

But don't take my word for it - research it for yourselves, and witness how many times there have been deaths attributed to clandestinely made ethanol. The most recent that comes to mind is what has been happening in parts of India, where hundreds of people died after partaking in the consumption of homemade liquor.

If heroin was always the same purity, and was sold in the same dosages via powder in capsules or vials, there would be a huge drop in the number of deaths due to overdose.