• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall XR Tolerance

Coolgirl2014

Bluelighter
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me out regarding adderall tolerance. Recently, within the past 40 days or so I started taking adderall xr. Started out with 1 15mg pill four or five times a week. Eventually started taking one per day. Over past two weeks sometimes two a day. If I wanted to lower my tolerance how long would I have to stop for? Also any advice for potentiating this drug? I feel like lately I haven't been eating enough which may be why it's effect suddenly seems less. Also when I do it its sugary or processed foods, maybe not good? I don't want to get back to that original headrush feeling I had the first couple of times that was way too strong for me. Id like to be around how I felt within the second to third week which was energetic and happy without having to take more then one pill. I've never taken more then two at a time. I'm very new to this so I'm sorry if any of this seems like a stupid question but people on this site seem knowledgable so I figured I'd ask.

UTFSE and look adderall xr up. Pick a direction. Lower tolerance or potentate it, not both. Start by taking a pill away a day or lowering dose on weekends. Lowering tolerance takes time. Read some threads.

Thanks for replying I have done a ton of research read a bunch of threads. Still not sure how long a break I would need to reduce tolerance. Found plenty of threads on it but almost all the other users of this were using way more then me and for a lot longer. I'm not getting an withdrawal symptoms so I can't think I'm too dependent. From what I've read I believe it's my diet and lack of sleep that is more so causing the adderall to not work as well. I saw some posts on how malnutrition and exhaustion will make adderall a lot less effective because it goes through the dopamine quicker and that's what it really needs to be effective. I'm going to try continuing my break while taking magnesium supplements and some other vitamins. Also eating high protein foods , exercising and getting more sleep. Hopefully getting my body back to normal while on this aderall vacation will help. Let me know if you have anything to add.

Amphetamine is not something you can take every day and continue getting positive effects from. First of all, the half life is like 12/13 hours for NON extended release amphetamine. That means that a full 24 hours later, 1/4th of your dose is still in your system. As for brand name Adderall XR, the half life will be even longer. Some of the drug will absorb into your feces and take possibly DAYS just to enter your system.

So, knowing that, ask yourself: 'How can it still be in my system if I don't feel any effects from it?' When amphetamine wears off, it's not because your body metabolized or excreted most of it, it's because it has depleted your central nervous system of the resources needed.

In addition to that, being in your system that long constantly telling your CNS to fire up, your brain starts to rewire itself pretty quickly, for a few reasons:
1. Basic Tolerance; Your brain downregulates and upregulates neurotransmitters accordingly to balance itself out as good as it can.
2. Damage to the nervous system - from a combination of oxidative stress (forcing dopamine to stay out in the synapse results in it being metabolized, producing oxygen radicals); overheating; and pathways in your CNS misfiring from the drug, desynchronizing them from normal functioning.

A permanent tolerance develops rapidly to amphetamine without breaks between use. However, this tolerance plateaus at higher doses; this is believed to be because amphetamine stops acting as a dopamine/norepinephrine/5-HT reuptake reverser, and starts behaving as a reuptake inhibitor at around the 75-100mg range. Basically, whatever mechanism amphetamine is using to release dopamine/NE/5-HT into the synapse becomes so saturated with d-amphetamine that reuptake is immediately followed by release again. This is a good way to fry your brain, however.

At lower doses, 20mg of Adderall XR seems to work very well as a treatment for ADD and ADHD, even after tolerance has developed to the 'euphoric' effects. The brain seems to downregulate/upregulate things enough to dull it out, but can't prevent it from still slightly elevating baseline stimulation in the brain.

If you have ADD/ADHD, it should be doing the trick at your dose, although it may not still be getting you high. If you want to get high, you have to take breaks from amphetamine so your brain can replenish; let me know how well that juggling act goes for you though. 95% of the people here told themselves 'I'll just take it once or twice a week, and then get good sleep and eat healthy the rest of the time' and what actually ended up happening is they'd binge use it at high doses (because of that baseline permanent tolerance you get, literally only 90+mg does what you want it to do) and go through cycles of not sleeping a week or two then doing nothing but sleeping and eating for 4 weeks straight, and whenever they try to just keep taking it anyways when theyre already in a psychosis, their brain overheats and they struggle with words and forming sentences and mess up grammar and syntax for 6 months until their brain manages to repair itself.
Some people have never come back from that point though, sometimes because they are homeless without food and miss a critical window when their body needs to be taking in food for their short-term brain damage not to become long-term/permanent brain damage. I don't mean amphetamine psychosis in general, but the overheating and dehydration resulting in brain damage which tends to occur during prolonged amphetamine psychoses, when a user loses sense of time passage and may go 12+ hours without drinking water, going to the bathroom, or even moving into a different position.. it could even be considered catatonic in extreme situations; the biggest problem is a lack of water, instead the brain is telling itself for some reason that not moving is better for it than moving, so it stays in a rigid position for hours, overheating, damaging itself further, leading to further stupor.

Last edited:
UTFSE and look adderall xr up. Pick a direction. Lower tolerance or potentate it, not both. Start by taking a pill away a day or lowering dose on weekends. Lowering tolerance takes time. Read some threads.
Potentiation methods do not work. Magnesium doesn't work, although it may prevent muscle tension and some other negative physical effects; trying to take a lot of antacids to raise your body's PH and make the half-life longer is one of the worst things you can do - you want to make the half-life shorter so you can rebound, not longer which will just increase tolerance even more. Besides that, I'm not sure eating tums is going to raise the PH of your blood stream, just your digestive tract. Also, I'm pretty sure drinking baking soda on a daily basis will destroy at least half of your organs, so that one's out.

Taking caffeine or any other stimulant will compound muscle and vascular damage, same goes for cigarettes.
Alcohol actually works great both for potentiation and actually reversing damage to your body by opening up blood vessels, but 1. This doesn't keep working, and even if it did you can't just be drunk everywhere you go because it happens to be therapeutic 2. you're trading the physical body load from amphetamine for the physical body load from alcohol.

Red meat and decent food help the body replenish and can even make effects kick back in again after they've worn off, but it doesn't potentiate it right from the get-go. A lot of men prescribed Adderall have mentioned a problem with their amphetamine kicking back in after dinner. It starts wearing off into the afternoon and early evening, then they eat red meat for dinner, which is rich in just about everything your brain needs to make repairs and replenish depleted resources, so their medication's effects start kicking back in again in the late evening making it very hard to go to sleep.

You just can't potentiate amphetamine, and all the methods on the internet claiming to potentiate are just old wives tales

Last edited:
Thanks for replying I have done a ton of research read a bunch of threads. Still not sure how long a break I would need to reduce tolerance. Found plenty of threads on it but almost all the other users of this were using way more then me and for a lot longer. I'm not getting an withdrawal symptoms so I can't think I'm too dependent. From what I've read I believe it's my diet and lack of sleep that is more so causing the adderall to not work as well. I saw some posts on how malnutrition and exhaustion will make adderall a lot less effective because it goes through the dopamine quicker and that's what it really needs to be effective. I'm going to try continuing my break while taking magnesium supplements and some other vitamins. Also eating high protein foods , exercising and getting more sleep. Hopefully getting my body back to normal while on this aderall vacation will help. Let me know if you have anything to add.
Dopamine alone doesn't do the trick. There's a 'sweet spot' blend between dopamine, NE, and 5-HT where the euphoria is at, and amphetamine is pretty good at hitting it.
5-HT is the real pleasure neurotransmitter; if amphetamine were to give you 'just' dopamine and NE, you wouldn't feel euphoric, you'd feel like doing something simple and repetitive over and over because of reward reinforcement.

5-HT is actually inhibitory for certain dopamine pathways, shutting off 'repetition' from reward seeking behavior if its not necessary, which allows the reward pathway to set itself up for something else instead. The alleviation of the urge to do something, the satisfaction of having finished the task, and the prospect of what to do next is where 'pleasure' results. During a period of 'pleasure', we assess our current state of being and the availability of resources - we think of what we like, and while on, say, amphetamine, what we like seems easily attainable because we are stimulated.
This is where the 'goal oriented behavior' that is sought after by those taking amphetamine comes from.
With only dopamine and no 5-HT, you'll just zombie out on something.

Did a quick search on google to see if I could find a few supporting links, and found this book which says almost exactly the same thing, page 93:
https://books.google.com/books?id=3...&q=5-ht inhibitory effect on dopamine&f=false

I have taken aderall xr before about a year before starting this time. I've read before that you can never get that initial high you get from taking it the first time. I feel like this depends on the person because after a year break the first time I took it was definitely the same. So stimulating I actually didn't like it. I don't chase the extreme head rush. A year ago when I took it I actually did fine with taking breaks. Over the course of the two or three months I took it for the mood lifting effects never went away. After extensively researching and comparing my experience a year ago to this time I believe I've built up a tolerance more this time because I was careless and taking it every day and not treating my body right. Last time I was exercising regularly and eating a diet high in protein. I was also regularly taking breaks. I never moved up from more then 20mg a day when I took it. And I was getting sleep. I think taking a multivitamin with food before bed helped me to sleep. I'm interested in taking the magnesium not to potentate it but to keep my body healthy while taking it along with other vitamins. Despite my research I'm certainly VERY far from being all that knowledgable on the subject. But based on what j know about my body and the way I reacted last time to this time I believe my tolerance is simply due to the adderall having nothing to act on because my not eating or sleeping or taking any vitamins I've quickly depleted all my resources by taking it so often. My plan is to take a break. Im still wondering how long of a break to take. Most users on here use far more and for far longer then me. I personally feel as though it won't take long for my tolerance to come down. When I first started taking it this time around about three weeks in instead of a one day break I was off it for three days and when I did take it again I noticed an extreme spike in the high. My body has always bounced back pretty quickly when it comes to medication for some reason. My main concern is that I've depleted dopamine and to restore that. I'm hoping that my vitamins, exercise- I'm a runner and like to do interval training, and eating foods rich in protein and I-tyrosine will help me bounce back and from there I can continue as I did last time taking frequent breaks and making sure i continue with exercise healthy eating vitamins and sleep. I have very good willpower and don't think staying off them will be a problem when I need to.

Thanks for the info on potentiation. Don't think I'm going to try any of the methods after reading this. I don't feel as though potentiation would be beneficial. It would be better for my body to simply take breaks so tolerance doesn't build as fast rather then chase a better high. I know myself and I feel as trying these methods would be more likely to lead to addiction. So I'm going to let that go.

Also one more thing. On Friday the last time I took it I took 2 15 mg at once around 2. I didn't sleep at all that night and I should have experienced the come down about 12 hours later right? Because I didn't take anymore. But on Saturday after not sleeping all night I had two cups of coffee and felt great the whole next day. Like not high but just like super charged. Idk maybe I'm just weird and like that feeling where others would have felt extremely bugged out and uncomfortable? I've always enjoyed uppers like caffeine and red bull but I've never taken anything else besides adderall. I know friends that love benzos and downers and I've tried them and hated them. I hate anything that makes me chill out. Maybe I'm just crazy lol