• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall + Xanax, Confused and Looking for Help

unicornboys

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

This is my first post so allow me to apologize if I break any etiquette, I'm still learning. I joined BL because I decided that I finally needed some experienced advice on my situation so here we go:

I was diagnosed with ADHD 6 years ago while I was a Sophomore in high school. I have taken Ritalin, Concerta, Vyvanse, Adderall IR, Adderall XR, and Strattera in a clinical setting. I have found that Adderall IR 20 mg works best for controlling my symptoms and I have been prescribed it twice a day. I have been taking it now for a month and feel that I need a third dose in order for it to work the full time I need it to (I work an internship, am an entrepreneur, and an engineering student). I am worried that my doctor will think I am abusing the Adderall if I bluntly ask for an increase in dosage at my next appointment (I do not take it recreationally), and I know that I really do need it for symptom control.

Further complicating this situation, I have recently been prescribed Xanax 0.5mg twice a day for panic disorder by my PCP which has been absolutely life changing and has very greatly improved my quality of life in every aspect. I feel very self conscious being prescribed both of these medications that are commonly abused and stigmatize and do not know how to talk to my doctor about increasing my dosage as I am terrified of being accused of abusing my medication (which I unfortunately really do need medically).

I will not lie to you, I have smoked marijuana in my past (when I was 17ish), have taken more than my prescribed Adderall dose on 3 occasions, enjoy alcohol occasionally, and have come from a broken family where my mother was addicted clinically to heroin, hydrocodone, oxycodone, cocaine, Ativan, and Ambien for 14 years. I have no intention of abusing any of my medication as it truly improves my quality of life. If anyone at all could provide me with any input of advice it would mean the world to me. Thank you guys for what you do; many people just see drug users, but I see a community of people who are actively helping each other stay safe both mentally and physically. I feel very alone as I am trying to get this figured out so any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I can't talk to anybody without being stigmatized and I'm very worried. Thanks so much.

P.S. If you have any advice but need to know more about me, feel free to PM me. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to bluelight.

I could be wrong but, I thought taking xanax while on a stimulant would dull the effects of the stimulant?

Maybe ask your Dr. about theanine, it's dirt cheap and certainty helps me concentrate and might be a better addition to your current medication instead of just upping your dose.

Tell your Dr. what you just said here and they will work with you.

Just my two cents

Yeah I thought they would cancel each other out (I was a practicing EMT for 2 years when I was younger), but my Doc told me that they don't so I trusted him. I tried it and he was indeed right, the combo of the two in the past week has drastically changed my life for the better. I am just so worried because I really feel that this is the solution to both my moderate/severe ADHD and my panic disorder, but I know the stigma with both the meds that work for me and I don't know how to talk to my psychiatrist about it without appearing to be a drug seeker. I do not want to get high on any of this stuff, I just want to feel normal and I know this is what I need. (By the way, thanks for the input. I feel that I can't talk to my family or friends about this without being stigmatized and it really makes me happy to see the support in this forum).

Tell your doc exactly what you've told us, other than that we can't help you get drugs from your doc, I understand you're not trying to get high, that's great!

Tell your doc your fears, what can you lose? You may not get the raise you need but you'll get the respect of understanding how you might appear, despite that not being the case.

Many of these docs respect self-awareness quite a bit, but he/she may need to review your chart and give it thought.

It'll be ok to express your feelings about the outcome, just don't kick and scream. Maybe next appt., the doc will have a change of mind.

Wishing you the best in dealing with two disorders I've been treated for, for me Vyvanse didn't affect my clonazepam nor my anxiety, if anything it helped my GAD/agoraphobia.

Tell your doc exactly what you've told us, other than that we can't help you get drugs from your doc, I understand you're not trying to get high, that's great!

Tell your doc your fears, what can you lose? You may not get the raise you need but you'll get the respect of understanding how you might appear, despite that not being the case.

Many of these docs respect self-awareness quite a bit, but he/she may need to review your chart and give it thought.

It'll be ok to express your feelings about the outcome, just don't kick and scream. Maybe next appt., the doc will have a change of mind.

Wishing you the best in dealing with two disorders I've been treated for, for me Vyvanse didn't affect my clonazepam nor my anxiety, if anything it helped my GAD/agoraphobia.

I honestly couldn't have put it better myself. The absolute number one rule most Drs have is honesty. A small amount of people can con their way to getting meds but for the rest of us they can almost always tell if your lying. They may give you the script you were after but you almost certainly lost their trust. So if you're asking for something legitimate be upfront with them and be ready to explain your reasoning in a rational way. And if you have an old school hard ass doc be prepared to take a highly in depth urinalysis or blood test. There's some discussion of its legitimacy but some docs do send tests off to try and capture the exact amount of any chemical that's not supposed to be there. So again if its a non recreational need just be upfront and honest. It may take a month or two to convince them but any reasonable doc that's truly concerned about your well being will make sure you have what you need to lead a normal and productive life. And I need to say that you shouldn't feel ashamed of your needs. Yes they may be highly abused drugs but you need them to be "normal". I'm personally taking an opiate, Xanax, Vyvanse and Lyrica(all prescribed) and have been for several years and at first I felt the same way as you but once I told my doc how I was feeling and what I felt I needed and he listened we were able to come to an agreement of sorts and its been easy to voice any concern I've had since. He's shut me down a couple times when I've asked for increases before but at the same time he still trusted and listened to me and explained his reasoning. And, in my personal experiences, that's how most Dr's work, even the paranoid crazy ones. I had one that, because of the pain agreement, required a urinalasis every visit and before prescription of a new, higher dose or higher frequency drug would require a blood test to look for abuse of the current meds. He was paranoid and his methods were ridiculous but even he listened and helped me to the best of his ability. So again be honest and upfront and you'll be rewarded, whether you get the change you need or just the trust of your prescribing physician and you'll feel better just by getting it off your chest. Hope this helps you out. Cheers!

Hi.....Hope you doing fine

Hey....just became a member here and saw your tread message.
Not sure what really you lookign for here.....pelase feel free to write to my email at [email protected].

Thanks
Rajee

Hey guys,

This is my first post so allow me to apologize if I break any etiquette, I'm still learning. I joined BL because I decided that I finally needed some experienced advice on my situation so here we go:

I was diagnosed with ADHD 6 years ago while I was a Sophomore in high school. I have taken Ritalin, Concerta, Vyvanse, Adderall IR, Adderall XR, and Strattera in a clinical setting. I have found that Adderall IR 20 mg works best for controlling my symptoms and I have been prescribed it twice a day. I have been taking it now for a month and feel that I need a third dose in order for it to work the full time I need it to (I work an internship, am an entrepreneur, and an engineering student). I am worried that my doctor will think I am abusing the Adderall if I bluntly ask for an increase in dosage at my next appointment (I do not take it recreationally), and I know that I really do need it for symptom control.

Further complicating this situation, I have recently been prescribed Xanax 0.5mg twice a day for panic disorder by my PCP which has been absolutely life changing and has very greatly improved my quality of life in every aspect. I feel very self conscious being prescribed both of these medications that are commonly abused and stigmatize and do not know how to talk to my doctor about increasing my dosage as I am terrified of being accused of abusing my medication (which I unfortunately really do need medically).

I will not lie to you, I have smoked marijuana in my past (when I was 17ish), have taken more than my prescribed Adderall dose on 3 occasions, enjoy alcohol occasionally, and have come from a broken family where my mother was addicted clinically to heroin, hydrocodone, oxycodone, cocaine, Ativan, and Ambien for 14 years. I have no intention of abusing any of my medication as it truly improves my quality of life. If anyone at all could provide me with any input of advice it would mean the world to me. Thank you guys for what you do; many people just see drug users, but I see a community of people who are actively helping each other stay safe both mentally and physically. I feel very alone as I am trying to get this figured out so any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I can't talk to anybody without being stigmatized and I'm very worried. Thanks so much.

P.S. If you have any advice but need to know more about me, feel free to PM me. Thanks.