• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Adderall - Safe Recreational Dosage?

CookieJoe221

Bluelighter
I'll try to keep this short and sweet, I'm prescribed adderall, I do not have ADHD, I take it recreationally usually only on the weekends, have for a couple years now. Usually I make sure I do not go over 50-60 mg in a 24 hour period. Usually snort them about 10-15 mg at a time.

So what I want to know is this first is this a safe dosage? I workout 5-6 days a week, drink a lot of water, sleep fine for the most part, eat decently well. But I'm very conscious of my overall health so I also want to know is this going to cause any major issues? Thanks in advance

I personally never go over 180mg in a 24hr period (male/160lbs/daily use of 20mg amphetmine). Any more and I spiral into anxiety/psychosis, and tachycardia--but of course everyone is different(tolerance/weight/genetics). For many BLers, 180mg is nothing.

So do you think I'm safe heart and mind wise not going over 50 mg in 24 hours if I'm just using twice a week?
I personally never go over 180mg in a 24hr period (male/160lbs/daily use of 20mg amphetmine). Any more and I spiral into anxiety/psychosis, and tachycardia--but of course everyone is different(tolerance/weight/genetics). For many BLers, 180mg is nothing.

I'd say you will do minimal damage.. but like every drug, it will effect your body for the worse over time.. and for everyone it's different.. for example, if you already have heart problems i wouldn't be slamming teeners of meth daily, etc.

You seem to be using responsibly. Some people are prescribed 60mg a day.

Yes, unless you have a preexisting heart condition. If you're an athlete, I'd recommend a good HR strap, just to check in with the ol ticker.

Side note: I was prescribed 70mg vyvanse (lisdexamphetamine) daily as a child weighing <140lbs--I liked the stimulation but I found 70 too severe for daily use and tapered down to 40mg (lisdexamphetamine), then eventually 20mg (d-amphetamine) daily into my early 20's.

Last edited:
Yea ive heard doses prescribed that big, I just wasn't sure if it would effect me different because I dont have ADHD
I'd say you will do minimal damage.. but like every drug, it will effect your body for the worse over time.. and for everyone it's different.. for example, if you already have heart problems i wouldn't be slamming teeners of meth daily, etc.

You seem to be using responsibly. Some people are prescribed 60mg a day.

No i don't think it would effect the body any differently, aside from the obvious differences of every body.

I'm not a physician or pharmacist, but I would imagine that this sort of behavior could not be any worse than say, getting drunk every Friday and it's my belief that you are not really harming your body per se unless you keep using Amphetamines compulsively. Amphetamines work their dark magic primarily through chronic measures as opposed to acute. If you use Amphetamines say, once a week to catch up and you rehydrate, sleep and are nourished. I see no reason why not. I'm not saying Amphetamines can't be effective chronically, but at the dose you're taking, I wouldn't advise to just start taking 60mg qd every day. People get up to that level, but to start on that dose I imagine would whack you out of balance in a few days.

Just my opinion. I'm very anti-Alcohol. People get drunk two nights a week, every week, on the reg and live stably and I believe your case is not nearly as harmful if truly harmful at all.

I'm not a physician or pharmacist, but I would imagine that this sort of behavior could not be any worse than say, getting drunk every Friday and it's my belief that you are not really harming your body per se unless you keep using Amphetamines compulsively. Amphetamines work their dark magic primarily through chronic measures as opposed to acute. If you use Amphetamines say, once a week to catch up and you rehydrate, sleep and are nourished. I see no reason why not. I'm not saying Amphetamines can't be effective chronically, but at the dose you're taking, I wouldn't advise to just start taking 60mg qd every day. People get up to that level, but to start on that dose I imagine would whack you out of balance in a few days.

Just my opinion. I'm very anti-Alcohol. People get drunk two nights a week, every week, on the reg and live stably and I believe your case is not nearly as harmful if truly harmful at all.
What do you mean by compulsively? Also I do drink on the weekends too but usually not at all during the week

What do you mean by compulsively? Also I do drink on the weekends too but usually not at all during the week

Hey there! So, outside of the dictionary definition of the word, it typically means, continuing to engage in behavior surrounding drugs despite clear and consistent indications that you need to stop. Amphetamines, in their nature, keep people awake. I have read that the primary cause of insanity/psychosis is the loss of sleep more than anything else. Basically, apparent and potentially severe consequences are not enough for you to stop.

As for the Alcohol, the two substances shouldn't really relate too much to each other in this context, aside from the obvious impact on hydration and stuff. In general, Alcohol is pretty much the worst their is. The most immediately addictive? Probably not. Gets you the highest? Of course, no. Does it cause financial difficulties like Dope? Nah, but it ruins more lives and is more destructive to the body than most people give it credit for. It is not their fault either. Said people live in a world in which Alcohol is "what people do". "How am I gonna meet a girl if I can't go to the bar and drink? I'm in college, I'm supposed to get critical Ethanol poisoning every once in a while. Girls, it definitely doesn't make you way more vulnerable than you think."

It's damaging to essentially all aspects of human biology and many of the effects of chronic Alcohol addiction are entirely permanent. Once someone becomes a mental retard as a result of Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, their isn't a weekend class designed to help you get your mind back. Once a liver is destroyed, you can only hope that they will put a new one in you and sadly, the non-Alcoholic patients take a pretty huge precedence in this context. I also am a severely altered person when Alcohol is in my life. I have been hospitalized ~6 times as a result of potentially deadly over-consumption. I have made people I love cry. I have missed opportunities to advance. Just recently, someone exited my life not necessarily because of Alcohol, but my behavior under the influence... Honestly, losing her was worse than 30 days in Valley Street Jail, withdrawing and potentially never being able to become a teacher.

So you get my point. I was what I can only call, verbally abusive toward her when I was drunk, coming from someone who is not remotely serious about anything. I only blame myself, but I want folks to understand all facets of Alcohol use. Tirade over.

I definitely understand now. Yeah I mean there have been times on weekends where I've not been able to sleep for like one night and stuff. But never multiple times at a time and stuff. Like I said I'm pretty paranoid about my overall health so I would like to think I'm smart enough to hopefully stop if it was causing stuff to go wrong health or mind wise. I guess the part that confuses me is you read all these things online about how recreational adderall use destroys your brain, your heart, etc yet there's people being prescribed 60 mg a day for their entire lives and they dont seem to have the same concerns about those people. I'm not sure if those articles are referring to people who do it every day and/or do much higher amounts than I do? I've just always wondered.

In regards to alcohol, I can understand where you're coming from. I drink mostly for the social aspect of it, if I drink at home it's usually on the weekends when I'm getting ready to go out or whatever. It makes me feel like shit if I drink more than like 2-3 days in a row plus all the unnecessary calories so that's usually what keeps me from it becoming a problem. I had a DUI in college about 10 years ago and at the time it was a nightmare but now it was the best thing that ever happened to me, because I was reckless, driving hammered, etc. It made me take a long look in the mirror and change some things. Plus now with Uber and such it's well worth whatever they cost as opposed to a DUI. On the other hand I know some people who just become straight violent and angry when intoxicated. Alcohol is a really controversial thing I can understand why you feel so strongly about it.

But to sum all of this up, I'm hoping my paranoia with health can be a blessing and a curse. A blessing because I'm hoping I'll be smart enough to make the decision to stop if it starts seriously affecting my health. And a curse because I'm paranoid typing long posts like these on message boards lol.

The amount and how often you use it sounds like a very responsible use, well as far as chemical abuse can be:) You also seem to take care of your body so I don't think that it will damage you physically or mentally as long as you don't have a pre-existing condition which you aren't aware of.
Mixing alcohol with it sure is more harmful but again the dose that you use is not very high so if you don't drink till you become stupid and keep hydrated, you should be safe.

I'll try to keep this short and sweet, I'm prescribed adderall, I do not have ADHD, I take it recreationally usually only on the weekends, have for a couple years now. Usually I make sure I do not go over 50-60 mg in a 24 hour period. Usually snort them about 10-15 mg at a time.

So what I want to know is this first is this a safe dosage? I workout 5-6 days a week, drink a lot of water, sleep fine for the most part, eat decently well. But I'm very conscious of my overall health so I also want to know is this going to cause any major issues? Thanks in advance

It differs a lot from person to person. If what you're taking now works for you I'd stick with it. If it doesn't feel like enough I'd try little increases. Like maybe 20mg at a time instead of 15.