• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall effects when not using?

morphine-dreams

Bluelighter
I'll try to make this short but I use adderall a few times a week but not daily. I've been noticing that even when I'm not on it, my focus and motivation is way increased compared to 2 months ago when I started using (I have adhd so it's still not as good as normal people but it's a definite improvement that other people have pointed out) but I'm also noticing increased paranoia. Not general anxiety but like drug paranoia, noises will make me jump, I'm more paranoid about things like going out alone late at night and things like that. It's not severe or anything, but I'm just wondering if this is normal? I read on Wikipedia that the increased focus is normal but it said nothing about the paranoia. My sleep hasn't been great though, my sleep schedule isn't the worst but I don't think my quality of sleep is good, maybe that's the reason? I feel great otherwise.

Adding- I never get anxiety or paranoia on adderall or even on the come down really so that makes me think I'm just sleep deprived. Also I wanted to post this on OD but my phone won't let me so sorry if this is the wrong forum, I figured it's basic enough haha

I've also been drinking pretty frequently and with my history of abuse of gabaergic drugs, I'm thinking wd is definitely possible at any time, but I have absolutely no physical symptoms. Possible rebound effects? I'm honestly surprised that I've never experienced physical wd from gaba drugs, I used benzos daily or near daily for months not too long ago.

The drinking definitely might have something to do with it. GABAergic withdrawals can cause psychotomimetic symptoms.

You said a few times a week? Are these effects right after using it? Dextroamphetamine's half-life is 12 hours, so it would take quite a while for the drug to be completely eliminated from your system. What dose do you take. And how many times do you use it exactly?

In stimulant psychosis, some of these symptoms have been known to occur after a powerful psychostimulant has worn off. So that may be the case here. (I am not saying you have stimulant psychosis.)

But these effects are most likely from your postsynaptic D2 upregulating and becoming more active.

Thank you for answering, these symptoms occur pretty randomly but no, not right after using. Usually after a day or two, so I suppose that fits right in with what you said, but I don't think it's psychosis at this point because it's very mild and I know the paranoia is irrational, I just want to make sure it's not heading there.

But now that I think about it, the timing is more inline with my drinking, and I think that may be the cause of my sleep quality issues lately (milder gaba rebound effects don't seem to affect my ability to fall asleep, but I wake up more easily and more tired, and this feels like that). I didn't think that was it at first because I don't tend to drink daily either and I only drink moderate amounts at most (for me anyway) but that said, my alcohol tolerance is probably higher than it should be.

As for my adderall dose, I've actually cut it in half lately! But I've also been potentiating it and it does get me higher, so the amount in my bloodstream might be higher at times. I used to take about 60mg xr or 40mg ir orally to start the day, then redose as needed, usually just once and about 20mg ir or less. For the past 2 weeks or so, I've been crushing up 30mg xr and snorting, also potentiating with calcium carbonate, but I don't redose. It gets me higher and makes my pupils a lot larger but overall, I'm on less and it wears off by the evening so I can eat and sleep normally. I do this for the recreation obviously but it also does seem more effective for my adhd and it saves a ton of money.

I'm definitely feeling the D2 up regulation because I'm just so much more motivated, focused, and effective than I ever was before so that's what got me wondering. Because otherwise, I'm thinking it has to do with alcohol for sure.

The only weird thing with the alcohol is that I wake up without even feeling hungover and like I said, no generalized anxiety type symptoms (which for me means no internal anxiety, only external things like loud noises or sketchy seeming people make me anxious if that makes sense, it's more like the paranoia I get on coke/crack but way milder which is why I first thought of adderall as the culprit) whereas the one time I experienced definite gaba rebound effects (from clonazolam) I was anxious as hell but not really paranoid and felt like I was on the verge of a panic attack. Right now, I feel very relaxed as long as something doesn't provoke a reaction. But maybe that's because I don't drink huge quantities so the effects would be mild, meanwhile clonazolam is strong as shit so the rebound effects followed suit. But the other weird thing is that I can still take benzos, usually etizolam or xanax, and I haven't noticed any issues at all, and it was mainly those specific benzos that I abused. I never drank frequently until a month ago.

Maybe I'm overthinking this? I've had severe adhd for pretty much as long as I can remember and I was never a paranoid or jumpy person at all, maybe this is a normal result of D2 upregulation? It's not really causing me any problems, it's just new and kind of annoying.

And slight paranoia (slight enough that it's not noticeable to anyone else and is only in reaction to realistic although highly unlikely fears) is normal and to be expected, yes?

I should think so, yes.

And GABAergic drugs cause their psychotomimetic effects - upon cessation - because the GABA B receptor is coupled to the same GIRK channel that the D2 receptor activates.

Thank you!! You seem extremely knowledgable. I had no idea about the D2 receptor playing a part in gabaergic drug WD, I guess I'll find out if alcohol is playing a part in this eventually though, I'll take a break if I notice other symptoms or the paranoia gets bad.

From my experiences, I feel like vyvanse/adderall have made my ADHD symptoms worse when i am not on the medication. it helps me immensely when i take it and I get my sht done. But they days I dont take it are so wasted, i get nothing done, and am not focused or motivated to do anything.

Maybe it's just my ADHD, but i never remember having symptoms as impairing before i was diagnosed and medicated

These chemicals can alter genetic material, and by virtue of this, neuronal and receptor/transporter/enzymatic activity in our brains, permanently changing some things.