• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall and Vyvanse sleep deprivation and tolerance

florida06

Greenlighter
So about two years ago I started to take adderall for scholastic purposes only, usually only once a week for a couple of months. I started off by taking 20mg orally (I know, dumb decision because tolerance grew rapidly). Then last year I took vyvanse (70mgs) about 1-2 times a week which sky rocketed my tolerance to stimulants significantly. I used to be able to sleep after about 16 hours of vyvanse and adderall use every night without a problem and would feel refreshed following my slumber. Now, this school year I've been only able to find adderall and usually only take it once a week trying to keep tolerance to a low. I currently plug 40mg's to even feel anything and that lasts about 3hrs maximum after dosing. I also need red bull or coffee to acquire desired stimulant effects. However, this whole school semester (August to November) everytime i plug adderall I have an extremely hard time falling asleep. For example, I would plug my 40mg's of adderall at noon and the overall stimulating effects would last about 3-4 hours (with about 200mg's of coffee) and I would come down for a couple of hours after but for the life of me I cannot sleep until at least 24 to even 48 hours after dosing. A WHOLE 2 DAYS. I understand benzos and most depressants, including weed, work for others but I do not like taking benzos because they make me super groggy the following day and I cannot function. I dislike weed because it makes me mentally disabled and I cannot have that when I'm in school. Ive tried benadryl, doxylamine succinate, Nyquil (for the the dxm) and still nothing. I even take so much doxylamine (up to 150mgs) and that makes me very uncomfotable because i get the weird trippy effects that are unpleasant. I never had this problem when I would take +/-70mgs of vyvanse. Do you think my tolerance from adderall is causing this? As i said before I only plug 40mg's and require coffee this semester. I also take Magnesium supplements to help tolerance which seems to keep my tolerance the same and not decrease it. So my questions are; Is my high tolerance to adderall causing this sever sleep deprivation? Im limited to downers that I can obtain here so anything like seroquel and ambien (which does NOT help) i cannot get. What else has helped you guys sleep? Anything non pharmaceutical does not work like valerian root etc. Do you think I should try vyvanse again? I would most likely need 80mg+ to feel anything, however i did not have this sleep deprivation problem while taking it last year. And my final question: what would be the best way to LOWER amphetamine tolerance while taking a month long break? I plan to take the month break for all of December. I plan to take magnesium (1000mgs a day) but thats it. I heard DXM helps lower tolerance when on a break. So should I combine these two daily? Also does L-tyrosine lower tolerance?

Thanks in advance!

- Desperate college student

To add specific detail about the sleeping problem: whenever I try to lay down and sleep my eyes physically feel unrested when I close them. Its hard to explain, but basically the thing that keeps me up when trying to sleep is the fact that my eye lids kind of quiver and shake when they're closed. And I cannot stop it no matter what. Does anyone know how to stop this? Any advice is welcome!

I guess you could keep using caffeine to boost your high... But that's a shit idea, and it's probably a big part of your insomnia. Cut out the caffeine and start taking your doses on a normal schedule (take them orally; it's more predictable). Eat regular meals. One thing that has saved me at times is magnesium supplementation. L-tyrosine does seem to ease strain on my mind at times when I get little sleep, but I've never considered the idea of relying on it for that purpose.

Even small imbalances in your sleep schedule can fuck you up, and when you try to fall asleep on caffeine or amphetamine, you may not reach REM for a long time because the brain typically waits for the nervous system to reach a calm state. Insomnia from stimulants has caused me to fail an entire semester of college, and maybe my problem was a little different from yours, but I think you should give this some more thought. Reducing your dose and cutting out caffeine might make you feel a little unmotivated for a while, but you'll certainly still be able to do quality work. The work you do when you're sleep-deprived is much harder, even if you do take satisfying doses of amphetamine.

If you're still entirely unconvinced, consider these questions: How long can you continue in this routine before you reach mental depletion? And what are you going to do when that happens?

Sleep deprivation and continued amphetamine use is a waste of drug, at the VERY.MOST all your doing is delaying the comedown at that point, it can get so.bad, that the "avoiding " can be a regular crash feeling, and when you stop, its like a 3x crash, if that.makes sense?

Thank you for your reply and suggestion, I will buy an L-tyrosine supplement and see if that works for the my sleeping problem. However, do you also think it will help, or does I should say, with tolerance as well? I may have the opportunity to get Vyvanse once again, would you suggest switching back to that as well, since it worked oh so wonderfully for me before?

Why do you put Adderall up your ass? Does your doctor know that you do this? Just take the Vyvanse/Adderall orally and take it in the dose you are prescribed it.

Well, Alpha_centauri, Adderall's BA is much higher taken anally than orally. Better rush, and I require a lower dose this way. Orally sucks now, unfortunately.

So about two years ago I started to take adderall for scholastic purposes only, usually only once a week for a couple of months. I started off by taking 20mg orally (I know, dumb decision because tolerance grew rapidly). Then last year I took vyvanse (70mgs) about 1-2 times a week which sky rocketed my tolerance to stimulants significantly. I used to be able to sleep after about 16 hours of vyvanse and adderall use every night without a problem and would feel refreshed following my slumber. Now, this school year I've been only able to find adderall and usually only take it once a week trying to keep tolerance to a low. I currently plug 40mg's to even feel anything and that lasts about 3hrs maximum after dosing. I also need red bull or coffee to acquire desired stimulant effects. However, this whole school semester (August to November) everytime i plug adderall I have an extremely hard time falling asleep. For example, I would plug my 40mg's of adderall at noon and the overall stimulating effects would last about 3-4 hours (with about 200mg's of coffee) and I would come down for a couple of hours after but for the life of me I cannot sleep until at least 24 to even 48 hours after dosing. A WHOLE 2 DAYS. I understand benzos and most depressants, including weed, work for others but I do not like taking benzos because they make me super groggy the following day and I cannot function. I dislike weed because it makes me mentally disabled and I cannot have that when I'm in school. Ive tried benadryl, doxylamine succinate, Nyquil (for the the dxm) and still nothing. I even take so much doxylamine (up to 150mgs) and that makes me very uncomfotable because i get the weird trippy effects that are unpleasant. I never had this problem when I would take +/-70mgs of vyvanse. Do you think my tolerance from adderall is causing this? As i said before I only plug 40mg's and require coffee this semester. I also take Magnesium supplements to help tolerance which seems to keep my tolerance the same and not decrease it. So my questions are; Is my high tolerance to adderall causing this sever sleep deprivation? Im limited to downers that I can obtain here so anything like seroquel and ambien (which does NOT help) i cannot get. What else has helped you guys sleep? Anything non pharmaceutical does not work like valerian root etc. Do you think I should try vyvanse again? I would most likely need 80mg+ to feel anything, however i did not have this sleep deprivation problem while taking it last year. And my final question: what would be the best way to LOWER amphetamine tolerance while taking a month long break? I plan to take the month break for all of December. I plan to take magnesium (1000mgs a day) but thats it. I heard DXM helps lower tolerance when on a break. So should I combine these two daily? Also does L-tyrosine lower tolerance?

Thanks in advance!

- Desperate college student

Try and get a hold of some Memantine. It will lower your amp tolerance and reset the integrity of D2 receptors. Start with 5mgs and titrate slowly, 5 additional mgs each week. If you go too quick you will get brain fog from the Anti-Glutamatergic effect of the drug.
Get some Gabapentin for sleep. Tonnes of threads here with insane amounts of detailed info on all aspects of this useful medication.
Yes...L-Tyrosine combined with{5HTP or L-Tryptophan} ---- ( Make sure NO heart valvulopathies!) can replenish the Raw precursors for dopamine and 5HT cell integrity from the VTA , Substantia Nigra (Dopamine) and Raphe Nucleus ( Serotonin). Make sure to add 50-100mgs of B6 and 2-5gms of Vit C for enzymatic conversion.

Magnesium is good, just watch the slowing down if adding gabapentin. You probably wont need it if you're doing 1500-3,000 mgs/day of Gabapentin ( drop in a bucket phenomenon)

Good Luck.

Yeah sounds about right what you're describing. The insomnia is from desiring an effect that's long gone rarely is it from residual stimulation.

Taking adderall rectally is great , i still get the magic as if I were to take it orally, unlike with snorting I lose the magic. It takes literally 60seconds to feel adderall when I plug it

Hello,

I am having the same problems as described by florida06.

I was diagnosed with ADHD and started taking Vyvanse to help. For the first few months it worked very well. Eventually, I began abusing it, and I was taking 140mg/day for a few months. I was able to take this much without getting shaky, cold, or anxious, and I was able to take naps only a few hours after taking it. At this point I was smoking a lot of marijuana too.

Eventually, I started seeing side effects (shaky hands, blue hands, brain fog). That was 2 years ago. From then until this past June I would abuse amphetamines on and off. It would work about 80%, and I would get brain fog sooner (which I knew was from Tolerance).

However, when I take amphetamines now they make me tired and foggy without having concentration. I haven't abused them for 4-5 months now, and I don't think it's tolerance b/c even when I was abusing them they kept working.

I have found many things that could explain all my symptoms: B12 deficiency (caused by heavy drinking; I was an alcoholic but sober 8 months now), Type 1 diabetes, and Parathyroid Disease. My symptoms are: loss of concentration & memory, depression, wake up still tired, trouble sleeping, irritable, bloating/heartburn/constipation, headaches, heart palpitations/rapid heart rate, weakness, sweating, excessive urination, blurred vision, and hunger. Don't tell me to see a doctor please. I am seeing him tomorrow morning.

If you have had any problems alike, have any ideas, or disagree with anything, please post.

Last edited: