• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall and MAOI's... Wait Time Between..?

psychonautical420

Bluelighter
Hey guys, so I have a script for Adderall that I like to use... I don't take it every day, more... as I want to, a couple times a week or so, typically... I also have some Ceremonial Cacao Beans that I would like to try. It has been over 24 hours since my last dose of Adderall. I always eat the night of Adderall and make sure I get a good nights sleep (or at least do my best to). I also use Ayahuasca (not the traditional herbs, I use Syrian Rue and Acacia Confusa...) from time to time. It has been a good amount of time since I last used any Syrian Rue/Acacia....a while before I got my Adderall.

My question is this, how long do I need to wait after using instant release Adderall, before using any MAOI's, specifically Cacao Beans and Syrian Rue. Also, how long do I need to wait after using Cacao Beans/Syrian Rue and using Adderall? Is it different with different MAOI's, the necessary wait time..?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) I was hoping to try Cacao today, but realized it has MAOI effects aannnddd want to play it safe :) I feel like I would be fine to do it, as the Adderall should be completely clear from my system, just would like to make sure I know what I'm doing here haha

Answering my own question here, kind of :p I'm guessing I just need to give the drugs enough time to no longer be giving any effects/after effects... A good nights sleep and a good 24 hours between MAOI's and drugs that have a negative interaction with them..? :D

24 hours is way too short. Go here and read the sections on MAOIs. The relevant bit is:

Reversible MAOIs:: If you are taking a RIMA, do not use recreational drugs that are warned against in this FAQ within SEVEN DAYS of going on or off your medication. I.e., if you get high on a contraindicated drug (this means a drug that you can't take on a RIMA), you should wait 7 days before starting to take your medicine. If you STOP taking your RIMA, you should be off the medicine for at least 7 days before you attempt to get high.

Irreversible MAOIs If you are taking an irreversible MAOI, you need to abstain from drug for a week before starting your medication. If you are going OFF an irreversible MAOI, you need to avoid recreational drugs for THREE WEEKS. Please be careful and heed this advice, or severe medical problems and/or death are possible.

Cocoa beans apparently only contain trace amounts of MAOIs.
While yes, MAOIs and stimulants are generally contraindicated, simultaneously having tiny amounts of MAOIs and stims in your blood is by no means an instant death sentence.

Tranylcypromine (Parnate) for example acts as both a powerful, irreversible MAOI and a mild stimulant (being a cyclized derivative of amphetamine) - if you really believe you have to abstain from taking Adderall for a whole week after eating freaking cacao beans, then Parnate would be a suicide pill, not an antidepressant.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the input :)

Wow, seven days? I don't see why a full seven days is necessary if "Reversible MAOIs do not bind to the MAO enzyme and their effects last only for a couple of days." I'd think a few days would be safe, I mean, I don't have a problem waiting a full week if I have to, just saying... seems a bit long, even with Syrian Rue.

I can see cacao not being a big issue. I don't know much about it yet, I just read it has MAOI content. Need to do some more homework on Cacao 8)

I actually insufflated 10mg of Adderall (a lower dose, I'm moderately tolerant) two days ago. Ate a little under 9 grams of cacao today (another low dose lol first time with it). No negative effects...

Syrian rue, however... Is a full seven days necessary between eating 2-3 grams of Syrian rue and having 10-40mg of Adderall? lol cause those are my doses and that seems a bit long. I'm not taking either of these substances every day... I don't take MAOIs, except for Syrian Rue for oral DMT, on occasion. The only thing I use regularly is Adderall... and weed and alcohol... and yeah the Adderall doesn't have much of a chance to build up in my system. I typically use a couple times a week, give or take.

I don't understand how it would cause an issue if both drugs (as in an MAOI and something like amphetamine/anything with a negative reaction to MAOIs) are not effecting me simultaneously. If a reversible MAOI won't be effecting me after three days, why can't I do Adderall after that? There's no way Adderall is effecting me after three days, why can't I do a reversible MAOI after that.. lol seven days? It sounds like that's for when you're taking an MAOI regularly, as a medication. I don't do that.

Juuust want to know for suuuureee

Cocoa beans apparently only contain trace amounts of MAOIs.
While yes, MAOIs and stimulants are generally contraindicated, simultaneously having tiny amounts of MAOIs and stims in your blood is by no means an instant death sentence.

Tranylcypromine (Parnate) for example acts as both a powerful, irreversible MAOI and a mild stimulant (being a cyclized derivative of amphetamine) - if you really believe you have to abstain from taking Adderall for a whole week after eating freaking cacao beans, then Parnate would be a suicide pill, not an antidepressant.

Let me tell you this

Your last sentence is ironic. Because it was actually almost true for me.

I took parnate as an antidepressant. I had to titrate from 10mg to 20mg. Second day I took 20mg and boom, 30 minutes into it throbbing worst headache of my life. Checked BP with portable BP monitor, 220/170 something. Im only 22 years old. Went to the ER, and they actually admitted me because my BP wouldnt go down, and a BP med they gave almost made my heart stop as it dropped my BP too quickly and HR went up.

But then again, those are prescription MAOIs of the irreversible kind(irreversible for 14 days atleast). I don't think cacao beans are irreversible.