• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall and L Dopa

Swim15

Bluelighter
So I’ve researched this combo a decent bit and have yet to find a lot of useful info.

I’m prescribed Adderall 20mg XR twice daily and use anywhere between 0-60mg typically depending on my work load (pre med student).

Have also talked to multiple friends who are pharmacists and they said there should be zero contraindications.

Can anyone speak to the pharmacology of this combo and any potential negative effects at the neurological/neurotransmitter level?

Looking to potentially use l dopa in substitution of Adderall (along with a low level stimulant like caffeine and/or ephedrine most likely) and in combo with the Adderall as an alternative to increasing the dose.

For reference I’ve been prescribed Adderall for 5 years with no side effects and no loss of effectiveness but workload is a lot heavier than it used to be and have med school coming up so I’m more planning for that.

Perfect placebo for me when I was younger was drinking coffee for w comedown.

So I’ve researched this combo a decent bit and have yet to find a lot of useful info.

I’m prescribed Adderall 20mg XR twice daily and use anywhere between 0-60mg typically depending on my work load (pre med student).

Have also talked to multiple friends who are pharmacists and they said there should be zero contraindications.

Can anyone speak to the pharmacology of this combo and any potential negative effects at the neurological/neurotransmitter level?

Looking to potentially use l dopa in substitution of Adderall (along with a low level stimulant like caffeine and/or ephedrine most likely) and in combo with the Adderall as an alternative to increasing the dose.

For reference I’ve been prescribed Adderall for 5 years with no side effects and no loss of effectiveness but workload is a lot heavier than it used to be and have med school coming up so I’m more planning for that.

I've never used pure pharma L-dopa (with precise doses), but I have tried using mucuna pruriens with (supposedly) a fairly high L-dopa content in combo or by itself many times. Tbh it makes me sleepy and seems to have no synergy at all even at relatively modest doses - possibly because of presynaptic over-stimulation (ie causes negative feedback, calming things down akin to a drug like clonidine).

If you're going to try yourself, obviously be very cautious with doses the first few times, as your reaction may be completely different to mine. Though somnolence is a fairly common side effect of L-dopa therapy for Parkinsons (especially at the beginning of treatment), so I suspect it's not just me.

Make sure you eat a nice steak the day before or a few hrs prior to doing this for protein, take L-tyrosine aswell ( the protein from steak are the building blocks of dopamine ps it doesnt have to be steak but HIGH protein. + the dopamine replenishing ability of tyrosine)edit:protein inhibits l-dopa absorbtion.
I say this because, using two dopaminergic drugs at once will deplete dopamine quicker ESPECIALLY IN THIS CASE BECAUSE - Adderall unlike drugs like cocaine or ritalin, does not inhibit dopamine reuptake ( it does to a minor degree but essentially allows 50%+ to be used up vs a uptake inhibitor that'll keep dopamine in the synapse by blocking uptake) adderall shoots that half of the dopamine back to the synapse instead of blocking it altogether, aswell as FORCING dopamine to be released

This is a double edged sword for recreational use because yes, sure you will get more effects at the cost of valuable dopamine and it may reduce effectiveness if your dopamine stores are low which is why i made my first reccomendation.

Youll be combining 2 dopamine antagonists combining effects leading to increased everything so watch out on your doses, id take half the addy first because you can always take more. Take the l-dopa first, wait and judge how much addy youre able to use, stay safe
.. if you binge on this combo it WILL be neurotoxic and damage receptors /neurons for sure.

READ MY SECOND POST BEFORE EVEN THINKING OF GOING AHEAD.

~zonxx

Last edited:
Doesnt dopamine have alot of roles in the brain like muscle movement.

Im no doctor but imo

Dont the doctors prescribe it with like a carboxylate inhibitor so it doesnt break down.

So wouldnt it have to

1. Not get broken down in the stomach leading to you probably having to take more (and im assuming more possible side effects)
2. Get converted to dopamine
3. Get in the brain
4. Get to specifically the dopamine receptors involved in motivation and focus
5. Not get to all the other dopamine receptors in all the other parts of the brain associated with things like muscles ect. So you dont get side effects.

I could be wrong here but i think this is a bad idea. Especially because you are a premed student. So, i assume your on a really tight schedule and what if messing around with l dopa caused some major side effects and you miss classes and tests ect.

Also in the movie sleep walkers i think didnt it stop working ?

Doesnt dopamine have alot of roles in the brain like muscle movement.

Im no doctor but imo

Dont the doctors prescribe it with like a carboxylate inhibitor so it doesnt break down.

So wouldnt it have to

1. Not get broken down in the stomach leading to you probably having to take more (and im assuming more possible side effects)
2. Get converted to dopamine
3. Get in the brain
4. Get to specifically the dopamine receptors involved in motivation and focus
5. Not get to all the other dopamine receptors in all the other parts of the brain associated with things like muscles ect. So you dont get side effects.

I could be wrong here but i think this is a bad idea. Especially because you are a premed student. So, i assume your on a really tight schedule and what if messing around with l dopa caused some major side effects and you miss classes and tests ect.

Also in the movie sleep walkers i think didnt it stop working ?
Fuck youre right TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY.. l-dopa is prescribed with somthing that i cant remember what that keeps it from breaking down the dopamine because the dopamine in high amounts oxidizes and damages neurons, receptors

So they prescribe somthing to prevent further damage to parkinson's patients sooooo

This means, this can potentially be really neurotoxic....

You better take alot of antioxidantsand vitamins if you go ahead with it...

Stay safe - ~Zonxx

This this sounds bad? Yeah man this combo is fucked.i wouldnt take this combo... and that says alot lol i smoke crack and this seems as bad or worse.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-18-19-42-25.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-18-19-42-25.png
    156.1 KB · Views: 11
No offense guys but you guys need to read up more lol.

Yes it’s given with a decarboxylase inhibitor to prevent it all going to the periphery instead of the brain. I meant that to be assumed as obviously just administering l-dopa won’t do much alone.

I definitely don’t see this causing any issues with missing class lol.

As far as the decarboxylase inhibitor, it has nothing to do with neurotoxicity.

Also, l-dopa isn’t a dopamine agonist. It’s a precursor which will elevate and replenish dopamine stores.

The idea is that Adderall + more dopamine would negate the need for more Adderall alone.

Im also not saying that it’s effecrivness has decreased at all in the last 5 years because it hasn’t contrary to what I hear a lot of other people say. The issue is that my workload has tripled and it’s a chore for anyone to keep up doing 18 hour days, 7 days a week for weeks or months on end. Just the reality of it