• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall and emotions

Makyph

Greenlighter
So I am beginning to understand what life is like on adderall after being on it for four months.
One thing that I have noticed is with the benefit of enhanced cognitive function there is a big drawback and that is emotion.
I have heard about this problem and I have felt it myself.
Trouble with being sincere when I know I truly have those feelings I just can't convey them.
My capacity for empathy is slim to none.
So I have a deficit in emotional intelligence as a side effect.
As a result I see my relationships start to suffer and I only feel close to someone when we are engaging in conversation that is centered around intellectual ideas or problem solving.
Any experience based conversation I have noticed it is tough to relate be it laughing or crying none of my emotional responses are sincere.

I have tried to research this problem and my question is:

Is there any drug, diet, lifestyle, change, or homeopathic medicine I can take in accompaniment with my adderall to fix this emotional deficit?

Thats strange since adderall has always made me more empathic, able to feel people's emotions better. I've always been a cold pragmatist, this shuts down most relationships in my life.

Try talking with your doctor about this, they may switch your medication. Personality changes aren't uncommon with strong psychostimulants like amphetamine. Testing out meds sucks especially when they don't work but this might be your best option.

Wow completely opposite I'm a cold pragmatist on adderall
It could be the fact that I don't have ADHD
My dextroamphetamine is an off label prescription to treat symptoms of schizophrenia and side effects of my antipsychotic
I will say that I am very hesitant to switch medications this dose has been seven months in the making
My doctor and I specifically chose pure dextroamphetamine to treat the side effects and symptoms and it works wonderfully
I don't want to take any antidepressants I have had a lot of bad experiences with those drugs with side effects way worse than what I am dealing with now.
I have considered taking a dose of my anti-P in the afternoon it helps balance dopamine and serotonin levels and stabilizes mood I'm just not sure if that's the answer it might effect my wakefulness and cognition
I was hoping for a more definitive solution but I have done a ton of research and I have found nothing
Maybe my psychiatrist will be able to help

Ok I just figured it was for ADHD. this definitely sounds like a question better suited for a psych.

Some drugs create a kind of boarder of minimal level how bad you can feel, meaning that before when you felt bad you would feel worse than it is possible while being on 'x' drug.

At the same times unfortunately, it also creates a line you cant cross in regards to the maximum level of happiness you can fell. This results in a feeling I can only compare like there is a little bobble of fog around you that removes you a bit further from the real world than normal.

You are not able to feel the worst of your bad emotions, but neither are you capable of feeling the best of your best emotions. In other words, your mood stabilizes making it impossible to feel extreme joy or extreme sadness and also makes other feelings impact you less. Whereas before your mood would be more like an horisontal s curve with big differences between top and bottom, two line will be drawn as a top and bottom removing the most extreme feelings. So in situation where you might have felt empathy to a high degree before, you will feel less of this emotion (in this case empathy). The same is the case with all emotions. Thus, you have to "fight harder" to really feel your emotions and be aware of them.

I don't know if my explanation makes sense, it is hard to describe. Another metaphor to use to describe the situation is like you are in a kind of cheese dome "protecting" (protecting is the wrong word as they is loaded with positive associations, it could also be bad that you can't feel your best feelings as much as before) from the outside world, the dome makes it harder for your emotions to influence you as it makes a kind of shield between you and the reality.

Anti-depressants, opiats, benzo, stimulants are amongst the drugs that people can take that can put them in this "cheese dome".