• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall and depression?

ms1605

Greenlighter
Guys, I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of getting real bad depression after coming off Adderall?

Long story short, about 6 months ago was the first time I ever tried Adderall. I was working an average of 70 hours a week and to say the least, this new to me drug was absolutely a life savor.

Fast forward about 6 weeks ago because of several reasons I decided to stop taking it cold turkey. I honestly figured it would just take a few weeks to get acclimated to working again not on speed but I would get over it. Im naturally an extremely hard worker as it is.

Well almost instantly I got real depressed.

To quickley illustrste the night and day difference:

Before I would go to the gym several times a week, always eat healthy, I have a dresser full of vitamins i have taken for almost 2 decades now, love spending time with family and my girlfriend of 5 years, etc.

Since i Have quite the adderall almost 2 months ago I have literally went to the gym once, i have gained 15lbs, I dont have much motivation to eat so ill grab a few chips or some bullshit once a day, im WAY to unmotivated/lazy to even take any vitamins, im completely OK seeing my GF like once a week for a few hours, and literally the last 2 weeks, outside of going to work, I have literally not gotten out of bed. I mean, i even spent St Patrick's day laying in bed, unmotivated to do a single thing.

I have never been described any drugs for any mental or physical illness and Im not a huge recc drug user to begin with. In the last 6 months I habe done X once, blow twice, and this past week smoked weed 3 times to try and not be so down.

Outside of the addies, life has been pretty normal. I have no idea what else would be causing this if its not the speed.

Wtf did I do?

Getting off adderall will cause depression, and to varying degrees in different people.

Amphetamine was used for treating depression for a while, it makes you feel good! That flush of dopamine will do that. Exercise and healthy eating are the best ways to naturally increase dopamine.

I understand your desire to lay and bed and do nothing. For me: I heavily drink and use modest amounts of cocaine each weekend. Monday is tough, and after work I want nothing more than to go home and lay in bed as I am extremely fatigued and usually feel not that great. I have learned through my months of this process that exercise is absolutely key. No matter how you feel, go to the gym, move some weight around and run, at least .5 mile. Getting your heart rate up naturally for 15-30 mins has amazing effects on your body. After the work out that I initially thought could not be done, you will feel amazing. And of course go as far/hard as your body allows and it will only get better.

I dont have the exact experience as you, but for real, every Monday after work my mind says how great just going home, laying in bed and doing nothing would be. Get to the gym, push yourself, and you will feel great. Get in a better routine. You will feel better bud:)

Yes amphetamine cessation can cause depression. I?d suggest getting back into your workout and vitamin routine for starters, it might feel like there?s no end in sight but it might be right around the corner.

Maybe working 70 hours per week isnt sustainable without amphetamine.

It's almost guaranteed you're gonna feel down after you quit amphetamine. It usually doesn't last too long. But sometimes it'll trigger a thing in your brain, and you just won't climb out on your own. Then you need therapy and meds.

Meth/amphs don't just give you energy and make sparkly things more interesting, or jerk-off sessions last a whole lot longer, they give you motivation. Usually motivation to build some strange air pump for your indoor-smoking sessions, out of cardboard tubes, bicycle parts and duct tape*, but the point is you had time when you didn't need to sleep, new interests, new projects, focus and enjoyment with the details involved, and now you have none of those. That's depressing even without taking things like dopamine into account.

But, sorry to say, six weeks isn't a long time. You're still in a post-acute withdrawal state. So, this is totally normal and hopefully will ease up in the next month. Not like the sun breaking through the clouds, life will just gradually suck a little less. You might have to force some things, like regular gym work and Netflix Sons of Anarchy (fuck that blonde dude, and never say I didn't sacrifice for you, Mona) with your girlfriend. But it'll get better.

*No bicycle parts, but I do have a plastic bundt cake pan and washcloths and paper turbines on the one I built last week. No, it doesn't work.

Yes, some doctors prescribe adderall for treatment resistant depression. So it can be quite helpful if you don't go overboard. But that's easier said than done.
I started taking adderall for a few reason. I daydream a lot and wanted to become more active. I also wanted to lost weight. I lost like 15lbs now and I'm scared to put it all back when I get off of them. LOL,
So I know exactly what you're going through.

But just give it time, eat healthy, take your vitamins and you'll eventually get back to normal.

Why did you take it everyday ? I guess receptor down regulation (the exact mechanism of subsystem adaptation might be different, not sure) is inevitable with that reckless dose regimen.

But all in all you took the right choice in stopping, because working out on amphetamine is not at all healthy for the cardiovascular system, especially not regularly.

Maybe wait another month, then start taking it once or twice a week but not more often. *smartassingaround

Every tolerance break i take for adderall im severely depressed, moreso than i clinically am. So yes its very normal. I'd try some weed if ur into that stuff, thats how i combat it most of the time but thats on the actual comedown of adderall, like where i've been binging all day and then the last few hours of the night are god fucking awful... Smoke a little pot and im usually fine. Gets rid of the depressing thoughts. Also like someone else said, exercise is great for when you're feeling down.

Guys, I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of getting real bad depression after coming off Adderall?

Long story short, about 6 months ago was the first time I ever tried Adderall. I was working an average of 70 hours a week and to say the least, this new to me drug was absolutely a life savor.

Fast forward about 6 weeks ago because of several reasons I decided to stop taking it cold turkey. I honestly figured it would just take a few weeks to get acclimated to working again not on speed but I would get over it. Im naturally an extremely hard worker as it is.

Well almost instantly I got real depressed.

To quickley illustrste the night and day difference:

Before I would go to the gym several times a week, always eat healthy, I have a dresser full of vitamins i have taken for almost 2 decades now, love spending time with family and my girlfriend of 5 years, etc.

Since i Have quite the adderall almost 2 months ago I have literally went to the gym once, i have gained 15lbs, I dont have much motivation to eat so ill grab a few chips or some bullshit once a day, im WAY to unmotivated/lazy to even take any vitamins, im completely OK seeing my GF like once a week for a few hours, and literally the last 2 weeks, outside of going to work, I have literally not gotten out of bed. I mean, i even spent St Patrick's day laying in bed, unmotivated to do a single thing.

I have never been described any drugs for any mental or physical illness and Im not a huge recc drug user to begin with. In the last 6 months I habe done X once, blow twice, and this past week smoked weed 3 times to try and not be so down.

Outside of the addies, life has been pretty normal. I have no idea what else would be causing this if its not the speed.

Wtf did I do?

Depressive states are normal when a continuous use of amphetamine is broken. You can take 5-HTP with mucuna pruriens and you will be better

Yeah, it happens, although two months seems long to me, but I don't know how high of doses you were using either. I HIGHLY recommend getting some L-tyrosine asap - it's an amino acid and a precursor to dopamine so it boosts dopamine levels. I take it every day and I was skeptical but I'm blown away by the difference it makes. I also take melatonin with l-theanine and 5-htp at night. B vitamins are probably a good idea too. It sounds like your brain is pretty depleted.

If you're not seeing an improvement soon though, I would personally see a doctor. Maybe consider temporarily taking a lower dose anti-depressant just to get you out of this rut so you have the ability and motivation to do the things that will get you out of it long term.

You gotta force yourself to take the vitamins, eat... go for a short walk (you don't have to go to the gym, but even start with a walk around the block). I know it's easier said than done, trust me, I've been there and am in a similar rut (though the l-tyrosine has helped a lot).