• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall and being more easily scared by sudden loud noises

MakoAddy

Greenlighter
Im 18 and a guy and I've been prescribed adderall for 3 years but I only took and it when I had school and now that I'm done with school I only take it when I work. I always took only 20mg until recently got my dose upped to 20ir and 20xr a day because I work 12 hour shifts and I need it to last longer. I have noticed that It makes it easier to get scared by sudden loud noises but it has never really been that bad and I never saw it as an issue. Until recently it has been happening a lot. I work in a warehouse with constant forklift beeping and just constant loud bangs and I get that frightened jump feeling all day long. Even once I'm home and off work if I'm sitting near a family member and they talk out of no where it frightens me a little. It feels like my ears wiggle when it happens(I'm not 100% sure if they do i think it might just be my eardrum moving) and i jump sometimes but it's mostly just my head that shakes. Also my ears get really red and my cheeks get a little red. We have 60+ employees that I pass by all day and I'm pretty sure they notice it. It's super embarrassing and I want to fix it asap. Does anyone else have this issue and have any suggestions on what I should do to fix it

It's probably not as noticeable as you think - as part of your heightened state of arousal from the adderall, you probably become just a little paranoid and over-sensitive to things that aren't really there.

As for your condition, it's pretty common to feel the way you do. Have you discussed it with your doctor? Your dose may be just a bit too high, or you may need to adjust the dosing schedule a little (the times you take it).

This is a common symptom for me when I use fairly large doses of stimulants. The interesting thing about stimulants, is that they typically slow reaction time. When I use Amphetamines, I can easily become engrossed in work or educational matters to the point that the world doesn't exist outside of my current task, so if someone were to come and tap me on the shoulder, it would be pretty startling.

I believe it's just a symptom of maybe too large of a dose? Have you considered trying to acquire some kind of sedative to use with your Amphetamines? The solution doesn't even have to be a Benzodiazepine. There have been studies conducted that indicate Clonidine (Catapres) is a suitable adjunct to Amphetamine treatment. Clonidine's primary use is iin reducing blood pressure, but really, there's a myriad of uses for it. I would call it a very mild sedative on the order of a sedating antihistamine, but with less side-effects. Maybe something like this could help you?

I know that anxiety is most often measured in clinical studies (with human beings) by what is called "startle response." Of course anxiety has a seemingly infinite number of physically manifested symptoms, most commonly nausea and tremor as everyone knows.

Stimulants increase anxiety quite often (especially caffeine in my book) and this ease-of-startle response is central to the condition of generalized anxiety. In short: Adderral = increased anxiety, in the OP's experience, no doubt. Keif' Richards's idea of using a non-benzodiazepine to manage this seems like a promising one. 25% of a single starting dose of a benzo might also be enough to level you somewhat without interfering with Adderall's therapeutic effect.

Today was my first day I've worked since I posted that thread. I didn't drink a redbull this morning and I didn't take adderall till around 9:30 when I took a 20mg xr and 20mgir. And I didn't have any issues with being frightened at all until about the last 20 minutes of work I started to notice it coming on but wasn't bad . I don't get off till 4:30